PDA

View Full Version : ir-1L (or other) create impulse response from unintended audio file

SupreGlu
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM
can I create an impulse response from a file that was not intended to be used for IR? I mean If I have some open air mic sound of a room while a singer is not singing. the mic quality was nothing special but it sounds clean.

Top Jimmy
10-29-2013, 10:01 AM
An open mic alone is not enough. If you didn't record a sweep for deconvolving into an impulse response, then you need to have captured a momentary transient event for use as an impulse. I have used balloon pops, clap sticks and even an old wooden floor that pops loudly when stepped on in a certain spot to capture the room impulse response.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

SupreGlu
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
actually we might have a transient. so if i have a transient i can make one but its just not as good as the real thing?

Top Jimmy
10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
actually we might have a transient. so if i have a transient i can make one but its just not as good as the real thing?

Pretty much. Edit the transient down so that you have just the attack and release. Add a fade out after the tail ends. Bounce to a file and load that into your IR convolver and there you go.

Parroted by me & Tapasquawk

SupreGlu
10-30-2013, 04:38 AM
Is there a free or commercial plug/tool you make it with? (all we have at this moment is WAVES IR1-L (light)

guitardom
10-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Is there a free or commercial plug/tool you make it with? (all we have at this moment is WAVES IR1-L (light)

Voxengo Deconvolver is what I have used for years. It is not free but is cheap.

Top Jimmy
10-30-2013, 09:35 PM

If you found a transient in the recording that includes the natural ambience of the room, you don't need to do anything else. You just copy that transient including the reverb tail and load it as your impulse response. The only time you need to use a deconvolver is when you recorded a sweep tone in the room.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

SupreGlu
10-31-2013, 05:38 AM
OK cool, I just tried to import a wav file to IR1-L and it requested the other channels. So I just load the same wav file 4 times and Im good?

Also, dont know if anyone's tried this but I have about a half hour of a soundguy saying "check....one...two........" over a PA and the tail seems pretty good. does it work if the initial transient is a voice?

SupreGlu
10-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Thought I would post my findings after minimal testing. So I tried just bouncing a few sounds from PT and then importing those wav files to IR1-L (one bounced file imported on all IR-1 channels)

The hand clap sounds really sweet better than i thought it would.

The bits that had attack of human voice transient did not work as well but moving the start time in IR-1 made them sound a bit better.

I guess if I really want to tweak hard I can make some sound much better. Thanks for the tips today.