PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Hard drives

DarthFader93
10-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, this is my first thread on here, but I've been using Pro Tools for a few years now. I'm currently taking a class on PTHD10 and one day my instructor mentioned that you can have your system set to where pro tools will playback on one drive, record to another, and then bring those files back to the playback drive to be played. He didn't really have time to show me how to do it. So is there anyone here that knows how to do this, and can show me how? also I have 3 drives which consist of a firewire Rocstor (7200 RPM), a WD My book 7200 RPM (I know, I know, I'm going to upgrade soon) and my Mac Mini's HD. Which of these would be best to set as the record drive, and which one should i set for playback?

Craig F
10-25-2013, 09:58 PM
just use the Rocstor for now
don't worry about multiple drives unless you are having performance problems
but your have to be meticulous with your file management if/when your get into spanning drives

panamajack
10-26-2013, 01:38 AM
. . . one day my instructor mentioned that you can have your system set to where pro tools will playback on one drive, record to another, and then bring those files back to the playback drive to be played. He didn't really have time to show me how to do it. . . .

Cannot see why there would be a need to bounce the files around, assuming you have at least separate drives for programs (your boot drive) and recording. With PT10HD there is a disk cache feature that would make that sort of thing unnecessary.

SDDP
10-27-2013, 10:24 AM
If you are doing sound to picture, then it's usually better to have all your audio on one drive and the vidoe on another. Other than that, it's unnecessary.