PDA

View Full Version : Using 001 with G4/450 OS9? What does it mean "support"?

Piera
12-10-1999, 10:07 AM
I just bought a Digi001, tried it with MAC8500/120: it works with a lot of limitations.

I am in the process of getting a G4/450 which apparently will be delivered with System OS9.
I understand that a G4/450 delivered with OS9 will not run with a OS8.6, so I'll have a computer that will run only on system 0S9.

And here comes the frustrating part: I find quite difficult to understand what Digi official technical info. mean by posting "Mac OS9 is not currently supported"???
Not currently supported means Digi001 will not work with OS9, or will it partially work, or will it give some problems, or what?

I also hear some people saying on this list that "approval" or "compatibility" for MAC G4OS9 sawtooth is something to occur sometime in December. Great, but I still do not have a clue as to what is going to happen in practical terms when OS9 is going to be "currently supported" (to use Digidesign terms), or "approved" or "compatible" (to use some of the terms being used by people on this list).
Since I live in Italy, where it's not easy to get concrete sound information, I'd like to have a specific reply to the following:

question 1) so far, has anyone tried the Digi001 on a G4/450 OS9? With which results? Does it work? How well?

question 2) what is going to happen, still in very practical terms, when Digidesign is going to "support" OS9? Does it mean there is going to be a software upgrade by Digidesign? Are they going to send new software upgrade to those who own Digi001? (I live in Italy, it may take me forever to get software upgrade) Or will they post software upgrade on internet? None of the above? Or what? Is it only me who does not quite grasp what does this "supported" or "not currently supported" means?

question 3) is there a difference in meaning by talking about "approval", "compatibility" or "support" when refering to above matter?

Please help me to understand if by bying a G4/450 OS9 i will just be stuck for a while with a computer that does not work with Digi001, or that it will work somewhat badly until the "support" (for whatever does means) is going to happen?

Thanks a lot to whomever may contribute to clear up this matter.
Ciao. Piera

LOS
12-10-1999, 10:52 AM
Digi told me this week that is is okay to run the sawtooth machines with OS9 & that expect to see them on the official list next week.
Good luck & I think you'll be very happy with your decision to get the faster of the two G4 motherboards.

AvidCS
12-10-1999, 11:05 AM
Hello Piera,

It can get confusing sometimes, let me see if I can't answer some of your questions.

>>question 1) so far, has anyone tried the Digi001 on a G4/450 OS9? With which results? Does it work? How well?<<

We have a handful of basic reports from the field of folks using this set up. So far, no major problems have been seen.

>>question 2) what is going to happen, still in very practical terms, when Digidesign is going to "support" OS9? Does it mean there is going to be a software upgrade by Digidesign? Are they going to send new software upgrade to those who own Digi001? (I live in Italy, it may take me forever to get software upgrade) Or will they post software upgrade on internet? None of the above? Or what? Is it only me who does not quite grasp what does this "supported" or "not currently supported" means?<<

Here is the basic scenario. First we determine if the system or product in question will be tested. We run this system through our testing grid to identify and document problems. Upon completion of testing one of the following happens.

A. We "approve" the system by adding it to our compatibility documents. In these documents we note specific issues, if any, you might encounter.

B. If the system requires a software revision in order for it to be fully supported, we will produce and distribute a software revision, either by mail or web depending on size and application specifics. We will then approve the product and add it to our compatibility documents noting that the software revision is required for operation.

C. The product cannot pass the test grid. Therefore, we do not approve the product.

If we decide not to test the system or product then it will not be "approved nor supported" by Digidesign. Nor will it show up on our compatibility documents. This does not mean, however, that it won't work. It means that we have not run an extensive test grid on the product as needed to provide full levels of support. A good example of this is motherboard accelerators. We have not tested them and do not officially support them, however many users are using them with successful results.

>>question 3) is there a difference in meaning by talking about "approval", "compatibility" or "support" when refering to above matter?<<

Not really a difference. Approved means it has passed the test grid. Compatible means it’s on the compatibility docs. If it has made it past those 2 steps, Digidesign will support it.

Sawtooth machines and OS9 are currently being tested with our products. Reports from test look very good. Barring any unexpected surprises I expect that we will release initial compatibility information sometime next week.

Bob

Piera
12-11-1999, 12:22 AM
Hi Bob,
I'm grateful for your prompt and exhaustive information.
I love it when someone explaines things in such a way that even the not yet competent can understand the differences. Thanks again.
One more thing: now that I understand from Digi the various scenario concerning "supported", "approved", and "compatability", could someone explain me how to concretly tell the difference between a G4 with a sawtooth and the previous type? How do you phisically recognize one?
Unfortunatly Italy is a third world country as far as computer goes: they (Apple, but not only Apple) always try to sell their older models over here, so it is now that time where things are not clear: they have been selling G4/450 with a OS 8.6. This obviously means that the machine was not the sawtooth model, since sawtooth does not run on OS8.6.
Now they are starting to deliver G4/450 OS9, but some vendors still will give G4/450 OS8.6 (obviously not sawtooth)
What is the concrete way to recognize without doubt if I'm getting sawtooth on my G4/450 or if I'm getting the old model.
Whare is "sawtooth" written, if it is at all written, somewhere?
Thanks to all on this list. I've been learning a lot concerning both Digi products, and otherwise.
Piera

Presz
12-11-1999, 03:19 PM
You can physically tell the difference. In the back of the G4's, the audio inputs (the last two imputs) are all in a row, whereas the outputs are side by side on the other. As a new potential MAC user, I do not remember whether side by side is old or new. I think that in a row is the new, but I am not sure. I just got my Digi in the today and my G4 400 is on the way. By the way - I am grateful for this user conference site - specifically the responsiveness of the digidesign staff from all departments. As a management consultant in other life, your product support is truly world class. Try getting an honest answer from Microsoft!! Cheers!!1

Avid
12-12-1999, 12:10 AM
For some pictures and more, see the Tech Info Library (TIL), Apple's searchable knowledgebase about how to differentiate between G4 models at: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58418

The "Sawtooth" models are the Power Mac G4s with AGP Graphics.

You won't find "Sawtooth anywhere on the unit itself. It's a common but unofficial nickname.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing

Frank S
12-13-1999, 05:59 AM
[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited December 13, 1999).]