PDA

View Full Version : Stacking 15 guitar tracks - alignment help

shultzee13
09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
A guitarist record 15 passes of the same rhythm guitar track to achieve the 80's rock guitar sound, he did not record each pass at the same time and I am having a devil of a time lining them up.
Even in grid mode it seems a little out of alignment even when zoomed all the way up.

What is the preferred method by the pros on here?

Thanks guys.

albee1952
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Find 3-4 tracks that are tight and dump the rest. Use a little electronic doubling and widening. Or try gentle use of Elastic Audio and maybe keep a couple more. My 2 cents only(and a big fan of the eighties), unless its Brian May harmonies, 15 tracks is going to make a wall of mush, not a wall of sound. If you make it sound great, nobody should care about HOW you got there:D

nst7
09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
How did he record 15 passes and not have them in time? I understand small variations, which is what makes it sound cool, but how did he even record it without monitoring the other tracks and playing along?

On a separate note, your life will be much easier if you use the Vocalign or Revoice Pro plugin for things like this.

shultzee13
09-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I didn't. The guitarist recorded them in another state and sent them over to me. Thanks for vocalign tip but $$$ talks

Southsidemusic
09-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I didn't. The guitarist recorded them in another state and sent them over to me. Thanks for vocalign tip but $$$ talks

+1 on Vocalign but it is very expensive ... Like 500 large and that is a whole Waves Gold bundle and Waves Element or some other cool plugin :p

We only bought Vocalign cause my brothers purchased it without telling me :D

YYR123
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I will get vocal align - revoice pro in the next year sometime

Because after watching the videos that's the only way to line it up

First I have to upgrade my fxpansion bfd3 then waves and then who knows what other plug-ins before I'm able to set aside some cash for revoice pro But that thing looks like the coolest plug-in out there right now

YYR123
09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Find 3-4 tracks that are tight and dump the rest. Use a little electronic doubling and widening. Or try gentle use of Elastic Audio and maybe keep a couple more there
That's what I would do ^^ exactly what he said plastic audio the hits that are the widest apart, massage it in time..... air has a plug-in that's included with ProTools 11 for stereo width

This should be page 2 of the international brotherhood of turd polishers manual