PDA

View Full Version : Help Restoring Corrupted Recording

lookweezy
08-29-2013, 02:09 PM
See last paragraph for quick question:
Read on for full story: I have a bunch of songs that were recorded on a dying computer. The result was recordings which have an abundance of pops and clicks.
The issue is, however, that these aren't huge transients I can see easily, they are gaps in sample information resulting in a misaligned waveform, a spike in the waveform or a sheer drop.
I have been using the pen tool to redraw the missing/obscured waves/samples, but finding these tiny tiny obscurities is way too time consuming.

How can I track down imperfections in the waves without scrolling through the regions at max-zoom for hours and hours?

musicman691
08-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Maybe try izotope Rx Advanced? Not cheap but then a good solution dealing with what you have ain't going to be cheap.

PS: This isn't really a Pro Tools problem as such.

bradch00
08-29-2013, 03:46 PM
You can download and use a full version of RX2 for 10 days. Might want to give that a try.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/download.asp

musicman691
08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
You can download and use a full version of RX2 for 10 days. Might want to give that a try.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/download.asp
I should have known about that and posted it but I forgot; their demos are full featured and don't cut out for periods like some other demos. Rx isn't automatic but it should help a lot although I think the op would really need Rx Advanced.

albee1952
08-29-2013, 08:52 PM
No promises, but this could be worth a try. (actually, the first thing to try is moving your buffer to the highest setting to see if that helps). Then, create a new session at a different sample rate as the troubled session(IOW, if the original is at 48K, make the new session 44.1K or vice versa). Then use the Import Session Data command and SRC the audio to match the new session. When PT re-writes the audio file to the new sample rate, it MIGHT "iron out" the wrinkles(this has worked for me with a corrupted session):o

lookweezy
08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I didn't know Rx had a free trial, that seems worth a try for sure. Do you have any experience with Rx? Do you know what analysis or setting would help my particular problem?

I would have never thought of the resampling process. I'll give that a try on a wav or two and see how it does.

Thank you guys. If anyone thinks of anything more, please post!

joachim
08-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Do you have any experience with Rx? Do you know what analysis or setting would help my particular problem?

Spectral Repair, there is a "Replace" (interpolate from the surrounding area) setting.
Mark the destroyed section only, adjust the surrounding area width.
Works for short errors.