PDA

View Full Version : Melodyne

Trace305
08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
I have pro tools 8. I have a demo version of Melodyne. I transferred the vocal through a track I'm doing, and I find there's these pitches way above my range, like they're overtones, and when I move the original pitch, I get this robotic sounding vocal. How can I make it sound more natural?

Thanks in advance!
-Trace Murray

Phil Ogden
08-28-2013, 01:12 PM
It's not clear what you are trying to do from the description. If you're trying to create harmonies (or pitch up more than a couple of semi-tones), then there is a limit to what Melodyne can do without the effect you describe. You could try adjusting the formant parameter.

FYI for mono vocals, you have transferred the audio using the mono algorithm, right?

danander11
08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I have pro tools 8. I have a demo version of Melodyne. I transferred the vocal through a track I'm doing, and I find there's these pitches way above my range, like they're overtones, and when I move the original pitch, I get this robotic sounding vocal. How can I make it sound more natural?

Thanks in advance!
-Trace Murray

Trace,

Tuning vocals depends on many things, the quality of how it was recorded, the quality of the the talent that was recorded, the genre'.., lots of things.. Only after that will the tuning software come in to play.

With tuning software, you need to try the different ones out there to see which will suit your tastes best. Myself I prefer Melodyne for a lot of reasons. Now comes the hard part. You need to set down and put in time with the software to get a 'natural' sounding 'tune'. I tend to shy away from any kind of automatic tuning and prefer to do things manually.

A good rule of thumb is to make a duplicate of your vocal track and then hide and make inactive the original. That way, you can always compare between the two and revert back wherever you need to. Once done, break the duplicate vocal track into sections and just transfer and tune one section at a time.

For example... I tend to break a vocal track into phrases.. no more than a couple of lines in length. I will transfer the first section into Melo and then tune. I listen again to the vocal by itself in Melo and then decide what, and how much I will tune. First I will go to pitch and see how bad things are.. usually, I will bring things closer to center by using pitch drift, and adjust the pitch slightly, and then listen again.

If the performance is mediocre, I will take a higher level of action, (such as I do when I record myself for song workups.. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. :p ).

If it's really bad, and too many are.. I just try to make it better and let the artist know they need to improve or get someone else to sing it.

Once I have finished with a section, I record it back to a new audio track and move on to the next section. Once finished, I listen back to everything and see how the tuned vocal sits in the mix. A lot of times things will be glaring to me whilst tuning that are (relatively) invisible in the mix.. Aside from back singing and poor recording technique, bad editing is an all-too-common occurrence.

Life is harsh and most folks are surprised at how.... uhmmmm... lacking, they are talent-wise.. After all, it sounded good in the bathroom.

Just do your best and make small moves. You can learn to fix quite a lot of things, and will be asked to if you hang around for any length of time, but nothing beats a good performance.... flaws and all.

mesaone
09-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Sometimes melodyne detects the wrong note. Seems like it mis-detected that one note as an octave above where it actually should be, so it was pitched way down when you moved it to its proper spot.

How to fix:

Click the note assignment tool (looks like a cursor with a + and - next to it). This mode is all about changing the detected position (root note, I guess) of blobs, and will not change the pitch.
You will see hollow "ghost blobs". These represent other possible positions of the notes that melodyne has detected
To reassign a note from its currently-detected place, click the corresponding "ghost blob". Or drag the note to where you want it
The root note of that blob will be reassigned, but will not alter the pitch.
Exit note assignment mode and continue.

Another possibility is that you're using the Polyphonic detection, and it picked up a background noise or breath, or interpreted sibilance as a harmonic. When pitch-correcting vocals, you should use the Melodic mode.