My MacBook :
Model Identifier MacBook5,2
Processor Name : Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed : 2.13 GHz
# of Processors : 1
Total # of Cores : 2
L2 Cache : 3MB
Memory : 4GB

Now I know there's these system optimization apps like e.g. Onyx, Deeper and Maintenance by Titanium Software and there's also this Secrets prefpanel .

I'd be most grateful if someone shared some knowledge what options to set in those apps in order to fully tune my laptop for Pro Tools 10 / 11 - operation .

I am recording to an external firewire HDD (WD My Book Studio 500GB) and
the audio-hardware that I use for tracking is a Phonic Firefly 808 Universal
(have them daisy-chained .) .

Would a dedicated audio-HDD (like the ones from Glyph, etc.) help matters ?
for I'm getting error messages about insufficient disk-speed .

Suggestions on audio-HDD manufacturers are most wellcome (: .

AND would it help matters if I run Stellar Drive Defrag (or something similar) on the audio-HDD ...
I mean do os x drives get fragmented and would it be better to format all disks with a Mac-filesystem or is it the same if they are formatted as ntfs ... ?

sorry this got a bit lengthy but I can't afford to buy a new Mac in any time soon, so I'd better make the best out of what I have now .

- zergei W -

critza
08-26-2013, 01:19 PM
OS X defrags your disks for you, u dont need to do this.
Is your disk formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? It should be.
From version 9 of Pro Tools, AVID started suggesting to use USB drives instead of Firewire if i remember correctly. If possible, could you try to borrow a USB external drive and see if you are more successful?

Other than that, the AVID suggested pro tools tweaks can be found here on DUC or in the documentation for any of the newer patches/upgrades for Pro tools.