PDA

View Full Version : anyone using PT native hackintosh with sr-2 motherboard?

PT user
08-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Hi
I have a PT native system PCIE. Just wondering if anyone is successfully using PT Native card with an evga sr-2 motherboard?

I have a hackintosh with this board and it wont play nicely with the PT Native card or BMD card...

albee1952
08-19-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought by now someone would have stepped in here:rolleyes: I would guess its because most Pro Toolers are running Asus or Gigabyte motherboards. When I built my hack, those brands were the top choices and socket 1155 was the preferred setup(my socket 1155 build was a bust:(). As for socket 1366 motherboards, the x58 chipset was/is preferred for Pro Tools. The Intel 5520chipset might be the stumbling block, but I'm not the last word on this:o

Meads
08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Just out of interest - why did you go with an EVGA-board?

When I started to build Hackintoshs, Gigabyte has been the brand that was recommended and used for most builds. That's why I didn't bother trying out anything else.
It's not difficult to get pleasing results out of building a Hackintosh, but it is key that you read up the basic "rules" thoroughly and stick to them.
I'm not saying, that an EVGA-board is a wrong choice per se. Maybe it's possible to get it play nicely. But it would have been a lot easier on you, if you just went with the gear most people use for their machines.

PT user
08-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Just out of interest - why did you go with an EVGA-board?

When I started to build Hackintoshs, Gigabyte has been the brand that was recommended and used for most builds. That's why I didn't bother trying out anything else.
It's not difficult to get pleasing results out of building a Hackintosh, but it is key that you read up the basic "rules" thoroughly and stick to them.
I'm not saying, that an EVGA-board is a wrong choice per se. Maybe it's possible to get it play nicely. But it would have been a lot easier on you, if you just went with the gear most people use for their machines.

Hi
I didn't build this machine. It was loaned to me with a view to buying it if it works with my cards. I would really like someone with the appropriate knowledge to take a look in the machine (team viewer/join me) ....

I would pay a fee to someone with the appropriate knowledge, as the machine represents a good deal, but of course its only a good deal if it actually runs my cards.

I would also be interested in the motherboards/processors we know work with HD native cards

Dism
08-21-2013, 01:56 PM
...but of course its only a good deal if it actually runs my cards.

^ Key point.

I'd actually start in the Windows build threads just to see if anyone on that side of the fence is even using that board. I've never heard of anyone using an EVGA mobo for either, so you might be hard pressed to find someone who can help you.

Have you checked out any of the customac build forums, like TonyMacx86? If you can't find someone using it there... then you're likely out of luck.

If you want to build a proper hackintosh, you need to start with the proper or at least tested parts. Otherwise, you're going it alone.

Meads
08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
I take your Hackintosh is up and running OSX just fine?
You only got troubles with the HD Native card? Can you elaborate what exactly is the problem here?
Can you post what other components you have (CPU, graphics, other PCIe cards)?

PT user
08-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi
It was up and running....someone trying to help, broke the hack last week...

Im using a GTX570 for graphics (but need two or a 680 for more cuda re other apps)

PT HD Native card

BMD Decklink Studio 2

HP dual ethernet card

I have tried a couple of GUI only monitor cards, but they arent currently in the machine.

cpu is 2 x Intel Xeon X5860 3.33GHz 6 core

Meads
08-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Okay, what exactly is broken? Does it boot up into OSX?
And if not, where exactly does it get stuck? Do you know how to boot in verbose mode?

PT user
08-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Okay, what exactly is broken? Does it boot up into OSX?
And if not, where exactly does it get stuck? Do you know how to boot in verbose mode?

Hi
Appreciate the input...

Im not sure what he broke in the hack - i think he deleted a k-text.
verbose is the -x -v, or just -v?
I tried both got the details rushing down but would not boot after that. gets stuck on the apple screen

Meads
08-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Verbose mode is -v.
Okay, so even in verbose mode it goes as far as the Apple screen? That's a 'not so bad' sign.
I experienced this, too, but I'm not exactly sure what was the cure. But I know, it wasn't hard. I think it has to do with the graphics.

Give me a minute to figure it out.
Meanwhile - have you tried booting up using the usb-stick? This should work, actually. Or don't you have this stick?
If not, you definitely have to create one, because you're lost here without.
Let me know if you need directions.

PT user
08-24-2013, 06:46 AM
hi

As the hack was done before I got the machine - I dont have the stick - i guess i could create one?

Sounds like you feel this machine could still get its act together?

Meads
08-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Definitely. If it gets as far as the Apple screen, it means everything's good to go except one little adjustment. We just have to figure out, what it is. And we will.

Before all else, try boot up using the following:

-v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

if this doesn't work try

-v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Let me know what happens.

PT user
08-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Hi
Just tried the first one

should it just boot after? or is a restart required (it does say mac framework successfully initialised

PT user
08-24-2013, 07:41 AM
tried both - get the the bottom of all the info -nothing - restart - still stuck on apple ...

Meads
08-24-2013, 07:52 AM
So the last thing you're seeing is "mac framework successfully initialised", then the Apple screen, then freeze? Do you get the spinning icon below the Apple?

Okay, you should create a bootable usb drive using Unibeast.

Follow these instructions:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Once you're done, boot from the stick. You should then be asked, which partition you want to use. Choose not the stick, but your system drive.

Let me know, what happens.

PT user
08-24-2013, 07:54 AM
no spinning icon - it just remains on apple...

I will sort out a stick and set this up ....will be back
thank u

Meads
08-24-2013, 07:54 AM
All right, I'll be around.

PT user
08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
just clicked on the link - I will need to re-purchase ML by the looks of it

Meads
08-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Are you on a windows computer now?
If you're on a Mac and you already bought ML with your Apple-ID, you won't need to rebuy it.

PT user
08-24-2013, 08:09 AM
my laptop came with ml. I dont mind repaying - presumably i can nominate where it gets installed? normally it auto installs on the computers system drive doesnt it?

Meads
08-24-2013, 08:12 AM
my laptop came with ml. I dont mind repaying - presumably i can nominate where it gets installed? normally it auto installs on the computers system drive doesnt it?

I think it should be stored with your Apple-ID then, but I'm not sure...

Okay, however, when it's finished downloading and the installation routine starts, it will be in your applications-folder.

PT user
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Ml is downloading.

having trouble with unibeast install. it keeps failing - no options on the installer for mountain lion installation as per the written tonymac instructions you provided the link to. its is the mountain lion edition 5.4.3....

Meads
08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you downloaded MULTIbeast.
What you want at this point is UNIbeast.

PT user
08-24-2013, 01:48 PM
doh!...
just tried unibeast installation failed also
reformatted usb stick and tried again - its mbr
must not like my kingston usb drive....

Meads
08-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Check all the steps again thoroughly. I did that several times with several usb drives and never had an issue.
Do you have another drive? Doesn't have to be a stick. Could be a usb hdd as well.

PT user
08-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi
Finally got hold of another usb stick and unibeast is installed, and I have an installer on my mac system drive of ML.

Could I email you direct re this to save others monitoring this thread?

Meads
08-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Sure thing, go ahead.