PDA

View Full Version : Aphex 230 equals what Pro Tools Plugins?

SteveGarman
08-13-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm looking for something to help my VOs sound better and have looked at the Aphex 230. I'm guessing that most of what it does could also be accomplished with the plugins I already have in ProTools 10HD Mac. Can anyone tell me what plugins would duplicate what the Aphex 230 has to offer? Or is it truly a unique box that can't be duplicated?
Thanks! Steve

nst7
08-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Pretty much all of it can be duplicated with plugins. There's really nothing special about it.

In fact, it's discontinued, in case you weren't aware.

If you're looking for better voice overs, your first priority would be the acoustic space you're recording in. Make sure it's as good as possible (mainly that it needs to be totally dry with no room sound). This is more important than anything.

Second priority is to use a good microphone to capture every nuance and detail of your voice, if you don't already have one.

After that, maybe a good mic preamp if you don't have one. You want to focus on good sound quality, rather than a bunch of features.

It would also help to know specifically what you feel is lacking at what you want to improve.

You also may want to ask about this in the Post and Surround section, where people who know about these things tend to hang out.

Michael Hurwitz
08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
nst7, I respectfully disagree with your reply. And for clarification, yes, I do work for Aphex.

The 230 was not discontinued in as much as it was REPLACED with a new and improved model, the Aphex "Channel".
http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/channel/

It has a superb class A mic pre (with tube), a great ANALOG compressor, de-esser, noise gate, EQ, Aphex Exciter and Big Bottom technology - all analog, all built it. All analog processing, with analog's infinite resolution. Add to that a really good digital out with very high quality AD converters.

Getting the "right sound" going into a DAW, broadcast, or live before the AD conversion can be the most critical first step in getting a great sound. These features and our acclaimed, award winning, proprietary technologies is what makes the Channel (and it's predecessor 230) one of the top selling channel strips in the industry.

Read this review by Mitch Gallagher -
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Channel/reviews

FLi
08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Lol, owned :D

nst7
08-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Wow, FLi. I didn't know we were in Kindergarden.

Anyway, Michael from Aphex, no offense meant. I did not say it was a bad product. The OP sounded like maybe he was looking for an amazing box that would instantly improve his voice-overs. It goes without saying that a good recording chain would help, but there is no single item that's going to dramatically improve someone's voice-overs if they don't know what they're doing, or are recording in a bad room, or have a lousy voice for voice-overs.

The OP may not have those issues, and I was trying to find out more specifically what his issues were. I don't believe one box, whether it's yours or anyone else's, is going to magically solve all his problems.

albee1952
08-13-2013, 01:49 PM
We first need to know about the voice and the mic as those are the first 2(and most) critical links in the chain:o Get those 2 right and everything else might be easy(or the Aphex, or similar chain might be what puts it over the top):rolleyes: The exciter and Big Bottom might be just the ticket for VO work(but maybe the same result can be had with Waves Aphex plugin and MaxxBass).

Michael Hurwitz
08-13-2013, 02:15 PM
nst7, no offense taken at all.

I was just disagreeing with your statement that "There's really nothing special about it".

There are actually 7 unique and patented analog processors on the unit and it has won many industry awards for quality, ease of use and value.

That said, we all are in agreement that no one thing will make a miracle recording out of a bad source. Good mic, good talent and good technique are a first and must!

We sell many Channels to the broadcast and recording markets. We don't think of it as "one box" but really, seven, high quality, must have processors in a convenient, affordable, 1RU unit!

Thanks for the chat guys, I appreciate all you do for the forum!

nst7
08-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Michael!

FLi
08-13-2013, 09:51 PM
nst7, I'm not a mic man. I don't do signal chains and nor do I care much for them. But then I don't deal with a lot of vocalists or bands. I am a vintage synth guy though and I've owned a lot. I can honestly say no plugin compares to the real thing. That's not to say I don't use them, I do. I sold my entire vintage synth collection simply because I didn't have the space and they were pretty damn unreliable. I needed reliability and convenience and plugins fit that bill. But they are not the same, close, but not the same.

Where am I going with this? Your original comment was a little naive and it showed. Sorry mate. Michael handled what was essentially a flame with aplomb, I thought that was worth a comment :) and thanks for the compliment, at 37 it's nice to know I retain at least a little of my youth.

Anyways, as you were. Ill leave this conversation to the grown ups, I just thought it was amusing :)

YYR123
12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
(but maybe the same result can be had with Waves Aphex plugin and MaxxBass).

I love my aphex plug from waves - nice amount of sparkle

Does it resemble the original unit -eh???

But yes u can make it sound good very easily

b mcgibney
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a 230. For certain voices it is magic. The only thing is you are committing up front unless you use it as a reamp device