PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Stereo to Mono with Playlists

DonaldM
08-03-2013, 07:04 AM
I have some vocal tracks that were laid down on stereo tracks, with playlists. All the sound is on the right track only, with the left blank. There are about 6 tracks, each with 5-7 playlists of various takes in them. I'd like to split these into mono to get rid of the blank left side and comp and process everything in mono. I can split the main stereo track, but the playlists don't. Is there a way to split a track so that all the playlist takes follow along with the split? I can't find it in the manual, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

albee1952
08-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Hmm, this could get convoluted. First thing I would do is split the track to stereo and see what happens with the playlists(if you are in Playlist view, I would expect the split mono versions to also be in that view). If you get lucky, you end up with 2 new mono tracks, and one of them will have all the audio. If that doesn't happen, then I would create a new mono audio track, and add 7 playlists. Then highlight each playlist's audio, hit copy, then move up/down(P and : keys) to a blank playlist on your new track, and paste. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy what you need. Then Hide and Make Inactive, all the leftovers.

Option 2; set both PAN knobs of your stereo track to center and comp as usual. When you are finished, copy the comp to a mono track, or split to mono and hide what you don't need.

According to my signature, there's probably 2 more ways to do this:D:o

DonaldM
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Hmm, this could get convoluted. First thing I would do is split the track to stereo and see what happens with the playlists(if you are in Playlist view, I would expect the split mono versions to also be in that view). If you get lucky, you end up with 2 new mono tracks, and one of them will have all the audio. If that doesn't happen, then I would create a new mono audio track, and add 7 playlists. Then highlight each playlist's audio, hit copy, then move up/down(P and : keys) to a blank playlist on your new track, and paste. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy what you need. Then Hide and Make Inactive, all the leftovers.

Option 2; set both PAN knobs of your stereo track to center and comp as usual. When you are finished, copy the comp to a mono track, or split to mono and hide what you don't need.

According to my signature, there's probably 2 more ways to do this:D:o

Thanks, Dave. Already tried the split you mentioned, but no, it doesn't appear that the playlists split. No playlists show up at all in the two new mono tracks, so on splitting they "disappear". That's why I asked my question. Both your options I had thought of already, probably option 2 is easiest. I've done the copy to new track thing in option 1 many times before. Annoying! :p

I was hoping there was a way to split a stereo track with playlists into 2 mono that would preserve the playlists. That's what I can't seem to find how to do!

joachim
08-04-2013, 07:16 AM
funny other way :
select the clip in the main playlist
right-click, matching alternative - expand to new tracks
select all expanded tracks - split into mono
delete all expanded "mother" stereo tracks
delete all ".L" tracks
(maybe move the clips to a playlist in the main mono track via ctrl+drag)

DonaldM
08-04-2013, 07:33 AM
funny other way :
select the clip in the main playlist
right-click, matching alternative - expand to new tracks
select all expanded tracks - split into mono
delete all expanded "mother" stereo tracks
delete all ".L" tracks
(maybe move the clips to a playlist in the main mono track via ctrl+drag)

Hey, thanks, that might speed it up a bit. I forgot about that feature! When you don't use them everyday, they tend to go in the back-up reserve file in your brain!

joachim
08-04-2013, 08:34 AM
:-)