PDA

View Full Version : Asking for tips to Eliminate Monitor Distortion

Mvrphy
07-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Essentially I'm getting monitor distortion when I play a song either out of Pro Tools or iTunes, the tracks I'm playing have already been produced, mixed and mastered so it's not a case of turning up the kick drum too high for example. I understand I'm not giving the tips but I would like to know ASAP!

The distortion seems to occur when the kick or a heavier bass frequency punches through, everything else sounds fine.

I own Saffire Pro 40 interface, Event PS8 monitors and a Macbook Pro.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks.

Emcha_audio
07-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Essentially I'm getting monitor distortion when I play a song either out of Pro Tools or iTunes, the tracks I'm playing have already been produced, mixed and mastered so it's not a case of turning up the kick drum too high for example. I understand I'm not giving the tips but I would like to know ASAP!

The distortion seems to occur when the kick or a heavier bass frequency punches through, everything else sounds fine.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks.

If you don't have space to set your monitors on their own isolated stand, then you can use products like the auralex mopad or the likes. If how ever even with those you are still getting distortion, then maybe the speakers you have are not able to reproduce the frequency range in the bass that the track is playing.

musicman691
07-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Appreciate the help!

Thanks.In addition to what Manny said there's two other possibilities and they ain't nice or inexpensive to fix: your woofers are having a problem or the amp powering them is having a problem. Another possibility for the distortion is the woofers are being pushed too far in excursion which is possible. Also check your gain staging coming into the monitors - try lowering the signal coming in and see what happens.

A signal that would cause the problems you're experiencing might not show on metering and also probably didn't show in the mastering stage. This is all assuming the mastering engineer didn't do a job on it like the one that did Metallica's Death Magnetic.