PDA

View Full Version : Any good voice changers/maskers?

ssnygg
07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm doing a documentary and the subject wants to remain anonymous. Simple pitch shifting isn't enough to mask his identity and more dramatic dizimasking makes him sound like a robot, and that just takes away from the subtle humanity - the plight and suffering in his voice. I need to change his voice to another male human voice. An;y ideas?

By the way, happy 4th of July!!:)

Thanks

Craig F
07-04-2013, 02:03 PM
old school method of hiding a voice is to use a Vocoder (or a Talkbox)
you might try and find a vocal format changer, I know the theory but I don't know where it stand in a working product

albee1952
07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Run it into Melodyne, shift it up/down a few steps and the change the formant in the other direction(if pitch up, then formant down and vice versa):o Autotune might also be able to do this in real time:rolleyes:

sunburst79
07-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Maybe Melodyne as Albee suggests and then severely AutoTune it for the T Pain effect.

ssnygg
07-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Hmmm... I tried some of those, but I found that they either didn't mask the person's identity or did so in a way that sounded mechanical.

Any other suggestions?

bad jitter
07-08-2013, 08:11 PM
I was in exactly sam a situation I guess 10 years ago. I used WaveMechanics' (known these days as SoundTools) PurePitch with great results for exactly this purpose.

musicman691
07-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Hmmm... I tried some of those, but I found that they either didn't mask the person's identity or did so in a way that sounded mechanical.

Any other suggestions?
There's nothing much you can do that won't make things sound mechanical and also mask the identity. Have you tried Audioease Speakerphone2? That might help. Also if you could get your hands on an old TC Powercore - they had some voice modeling plugs for that that worked pretty good.

Craig F
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
you could try McDSP's FutzBox http://www.mcdsp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=317&Itemid=50

15 day demo

John_Toolbox
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
One of the soundtoys TDM only effects, I forget which one.... either Soundblender or purepitch does this pretty well. But you'd need to have a TDM rig, there are not native or AAX DSP versions of this.

bad jitter
07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
PurePitch, like I wrote earlier.

Meads
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Antares Mutator might work here.

musicman691
07-09-2013, 01:42 PM
you could try McDSP's FutzBox http://www.mcdsp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=317&Itemid=50

15 day demo
Don't know how I forgot about that one - they use it on Deadliest Catch in post.

Craig F
07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I've met Bob and FB is about the last thing he needs
His game is to see how much of the subtitling he can eliminate the need for

Carl Kolchak
07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Try to use something vocoder like, in that it has either a completely unique, or totally random modulation (changing the formant could work too).

This will prevent it from being reverse engineered, if there are concerns that the "informants" identity could be revealed (a straight pitch-shift is useless in that respect).

Alternatively, have an actor re-voice the dialogue, and then do some simple pitch-shifting.

Also, make sure you have no idea what the sources true identity is, and remove your name from the credits.

That is really helpful when the villains are putting the blowtorch on people, in an attempt to learn who ratted them out.

musicman691
07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I've met Bob and FB is about the last thing he needs
His game is to see how much of the subtitling he can eliminate the need for
You're talking about the op right?
I'm guessing FB isn't Facebook?

Craig F
07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
no, Bob Bronow he has mixed most of Deadliest Catch http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0111477/

FB FutzBox is the last thing Bob needs to clean up the production sound but it might be the perfect thing for the OP to mask the voices

musicman691
07-09-2013, 05:01 PM
no, Bob Bronow he has mixed most of Deadliest Catch http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0111477/

FB FutzBox is the last thing Bob needs to clean up the production sound but it might be the perfect thing for the OP to mask the voices
The reason I mentioned what I did was because in a video from Avid it showed someone (I don't remember whether it was Bob or someone else) that was working post on Deadliest Catch and they were trying to get the right voice and sound for the right video because apparently there was some dialogue replacement that happened and they needed to match the environment of what was onscreen. One scene was in a Coast Guard helicopter and another was a deckhand on one of the crab boats. And they were using FutzBox.

Craig F
07-09-2013, 05:06 PM
OK, but that is not the norm