PDA

View Full Version : Organising PT and folder?

Raoul23
07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Hi guys just wondered if some one could give me some help/advice on organising folder/opening folder in PT

When i import tracks/audio files in pro tools i always have to find certain folder and just wondered if there was a way to select these files. Let me give you an example

I tune my vocals in melodyne which is saved on a different hard drive in a folder called "melo voxs fixed" inside that folder is another folder called "whatever the band is that im recording" then inside that folder is the song that the melodyned vocal belongs to.

When i import in PT i have to click through all these folders to import the required audio. I there a way to set it so i can make PT open a certain folder everytime instead of clicking through all these folders.

I'd also like to do this with bouncing down aswell so it always saves the bounce down to the same folder instead of clicking through hard drives and folder to come to the right one.

Hope ive made sense. Many thanks in advance:-)

albee1952
07-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I have a specific way to address Melodyne. With the older version(which used the Melodyne Bridge on the insert), once I was done tuning, I would add an audio track below the tuned track and spot the tuned audio to this empty track(which never ended up in the correct position:o). Then I would use the original audio as a guide and spot the tuned audio in the exact same place on the timeline(using Tab to Transient and SPOT mode). Once it was placed correctly, I would highlight and drag back to zero, and consolidate. This action creates a new audio file that always goes in the session's Audio Files folder(so I never wonder where its hiding). At this point, it doesn't matter where Melodyne hides the files and I can remove unlinkable audio from the Clips bin(formerly Regions bin for those on older versions of PT). I would then add a new playlist to the original track and drag the tuned audio onto that playlist(which leaves an empty track that I would delete).

With Melodyne Studio, it gets easier. Once I finish tuning, I drag the plugin to an empty track below the original(the audio in Melodyne stays with the plugin). I set the empty track's output to a bus, set the original track's input to that bus, select a new playlist on the original track and go into record. When its done, I now have the tuned audio on the proper track, with the original(untuned) audio on another playlist. I can then choose to either delete the empty track(and Melodyne with it) or hide and make inactive(if I think I may need to revisit).

Re import; go into Preferences and check the box for Always Copy on Import(I will often drag audio into the session folder and import from there, JUST IN CASE:eek::-)

Re bouncing; PT11 now adds a Bounced Files folder to every session(great idea) and I do much the same by adding a MIXES folder. If its a single song(or audio piece), I put this folder in the session folder. If its a multi-song project, I put the MIXES folder in the parent folder(with all the sessions for each song). As things get remixed, i create a sub-folder called OldMixes and move the earlier versions into that. If I master in house, I add another sub-folder named CDready for the mastered versions.

It will be interesting to read other's methods as these were arrived at thru years of head scratching:D

Raoul23
07-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks Albee. I was thinking more of setting PT to open a certain folder everytime i go to import. Say for example I want it to open my melodyne folder everytime can i set that.:-)

tj_davies
07-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Thanks Albee. I was thinking more of setting PT to open a certain folder everytime i go to import. Say for example I want it to open my melodyne folder everytime can i set that.:-)

Not that I know,
but you could put an alias on your desktop. Apple+Cmd+D takes you to the desktop where you can then click the alias to take you to your folder.

Or put the folder to your favourites in the menubar on the left.

Timothy Davies

musicman691
07-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Not that I know,
but you could put an alias on your desktop. Apple+Cmd+D takes you to the desktop where you can then click the alias to take you to your folder.

Or put the folder to your favourites in the menubar on the left.

Timothy Davies
I do that on mac but don't know if you can do something like that on Windows which is what Raoul23 has.