PDA

View Full Version : How does PT compare to other DAW'ss for electronic music production?

Pro Tools Noob Sm. Caulk
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I know with Pro Tools, you can create pretty much anything you want. And that a lot of people say that Pro Tools really shines in editing. My question though is, how does Pro Tools compare with other DAW's in making electronic music? I've never really heard electronic artists using Pro Tools for making electronic music, but I'm guessing you can...it just depends on what plug ins you use, like say an 808 drum from Addictive for a fat sound, and how you do automation and other stuff. I know most electronic artists use FL Studio or Ableton Live for that kind of music. I'm just wondering if Pro Tools can do the same as what those other DAW's can do, in terms of making electronic music.

nst7
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Up until now, Protools has not been as efficient at processing virtual instruments, which are commonly used in electronic music production.

This should change when Protools 11 is released, which will be a full 64 bit program that can access all ram. Virtual instruments will benefit greatly from this. Also, Protools Midi capabilities for many years were behind that of other DAW's, but in recent years that has changed also. The Midi in Protools is perfectly fine for most users.

So your question will be answered more accurately when we see what Protools 11 can do.

MindDead
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I know with Pro Tools, you can create pretty much anything you want. And that a lot of people say that Pro Tools really shines in editing. My question though is, how does Pro Tools compare with other DAW's in making electronic music? I've never really heard electronic artists using Pro Tools for making electronic music, but I'm guessing you can...it just depends on what plug ins you use, like say an 808 drum from Addictive for a fat sound, and how you do automation and other stuff. I know most electronic artists use FL Studio or Ableton Live for that kind of music. I'm just wondering if Pro Tools can do the same as what those other DAW's can do, in terms of making electronic music.

You don't know of electronic musicians using pro tools? Better do some research. If it wasn't made in pro tools dollars to donuts it passes though protools before release.

Pro tools does everything any other DAW can do. Your question is like asking which kind of hammer brand do you prefer. All DAWs are tools, like macs vs PCs, each do the job well. It comes down to personal preference.

I own Logic Pro, reaper & pro tools had. I prefer pro tools. You'll always find ppl swearing that their DAW is better for this reason or that. Most plugins are cross platform now days anyway or there is akin in another DAWs plugin format. The 808 can be used in any DAW.

There was a time when the electronic musician was beholden to a certain DAW because pro tools cost so much to get into, that time is no more. Lets be honest, most electronic musicians start as young adults & use stolen & or cracked software to begin their setups because of a lack of $. Once they can afford it, they crack out & use anything & everything that's available to them.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/608608-new-chemical-brothers-studio.html

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2005/04/inside-nins-studio-on-audiohead/

MindDead
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Up until now, Protools has not been as efficient at processing virtual instruments, which are commonly used in electronic music production.

This should change when Protools 11 is released, which will be a full 64 bit program that can access all ram. Virtual instruments will benefit greatly from this. Also, Protools Midi capabilities for many years were behind that of other DAW's, but in recent years that has changed also. The Midi in Protools is perfectly fine for most users.

So your question will be answered more accurately when we see what Protools 11 can do.

Midi has been fine for yrs now. & idk how ppl can't make due protools vi capabilities. Yes, 64 bit ram unlock will be amazing, but still...

Pro Tools Noob Sm. Caulk
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
You don't know of electronic musicians using pro tools? Better do some research. If it wasn't made in pro tools dollars to donuts it passes though protools before release.

Pro tools does everything any other DAW can do. Your question is like asking which kind of hammer brand do you prefer. All DAWs are tools, like macs vs PCs, each do the job well. It comes down to personal preference.

I own Logic Pro, reaper & pro tools had. I prefer pro tools. You'll always find ppl swearing that their DAW is better for this reason or that. Most plugins are cross platform now days anyway or there is akin in another DAWs plugin format. The 808 can be used in any DAW.

There was a time when the electronic musician was beholden to a certain DAW because pro tools cost so much to get into, that time is no more. Lets be honest, most electronic musicians start as young adults & use stolen & or cracked software to begin their setups because of a lack of $. Once they can afford it, they crack out & use anything & everything that's available to them.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/608608-new-chemical-brothers-studio.html

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2005/04/inside-nins-studio-on-audiohead/

Okay I think I'm getting it now. It's not what DAW you use, that's just personal preference, it's how you use it and what software you use that makes the musician. Since software is the biggest point of electronic music, I am a little lost on that part. I hear that electronic artists use anything from 20 dollar simple synth VI's, to thousands of dollars for just one software of a different maker. My question is, are there any "standard" go to VI's for electronic music? I've been thinking about getting Massive as a lot of people say that is good. I've also been thinking about Spectrasonics Omnisphere, as it seems to be very versatile and has a huge library of sounds. What is your take on the VI's to use?

FajitaTone
06-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Komplete and the Spectrasonics stuff.

MindDead
06-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Okay I think I'm getting it now. It's not what DAW you use, that's just personal preference, it's how you use it and what software you use that makes the musician. Since software is the biggest point of electronic music, I am a little lost on that part. I hear that electronic artists use anything from 20 dollar simple synth VI's, to thousands of dollars for just one software of a different maker. My question is, are there any "standard" go to VI's for electronic music? I've been thinking about getting Massive as a lot of people say that is good. I've also been thinking about Spectrasonics Omnisphere, as it seems to be very versatile and has a huge library of sounds. What is your take on the VI's to use?

NI's Massive & Access's Virus TI line are the sound your looking for. Waves stuff I can't live without. Moog of course. Izotope Trash. Again, it's not what you use but how you use it. It comes down to programming. Most synths have similar features and you can tweak them to sound much like others synths to get the sound you want. Massive & omni have some unquie features. You need a good sampler too & a decent library for it. Gold baby makes 909 & 808 stuff for most samplers. & the 808 & 909 are pretty much in 80% of electronic music. Depends on what style your going for.

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/idevice/home.html

Pro Tools Noob Sm. Caulk
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
NI's Massive & Access's Virus TI line are the sound your looking for. Waves stuff I can't live without. Moog of course. Izotope Trash. Again, it's not what you use but how you use it. It comes down to programming. Most synths have similar features and you can tweak them to sound much like others synths to get the sound you want. Massive & omni have some unquie features. You need a good sampler too & a decent library for it. Gold baby makes 909 & 808 stuff for most samplers. & the 808 & 909 are pretty much in 80% of electronic music. Depends on what style your going for.

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/idevice/home.html

I have a question about the Access keyboards. I see that they are physical synths, with ones with and without keyboards. I'm only familiar with using my Axiom pro 49 keyboard for MIDI. So since I already have a keyboard, can I just buy one of the access Synths that doesn't have the keys on it, yet still trigger it from my MIDI keyboard since the synth itself would have the sounds? I'm only wondering because I don't need a keyboard for anything live just for studio purpose.

MindDead
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I have a question about the Access keyboards. I see that they are physical synths, with ones with and without keyboards. I'm only familiar with using my Axiom pro 49 keyboard for MIDI. So since I already have a keyboard, can I just buy one of the access Synths that doesn't have the keys on it, yet still trigger it from my MIDI keyboard since the synth itself would have the sounds? I'm only wondering because I don't need a keyboard for anything live just for studio purpose.

Yes, you can do just that. In 2ways; the virus TI desktop or the virus snow.

Pro Tools Noob Sm. Caulk
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Yes, you can do just that. In 2ways; the virus TI desktop or the virus snow.

So basically, the Desktop or snow, is just the synth, without the keyboard?

Oh and do the 2 synths connect with MIDI in/out to my axiom pro, or does it use USB to connect then I just use my keyboard or what? Sorry for asking so much I just have no experience with this stuff.

scrnplyr
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
hilarious moniker "sm caulk"

that's stands for "smart caulk" right?

; )

MindDead
06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
So basically, the Desktop or snow, is just the synth, without the keyboard?

Oh and do the 2 synths connect with MIDI in/out to my axiom pro, or does it use USB to connect then I just use my keyboard or what? Sorry for asking so much I just have no experience with this stuff.

Yes, both are synths & the TI plugin without the keyboard.

Go to the access site & research. Both can be used standalone & controlled by your axiom by midi. & both can be usb'd to your computer & you can use the VI plugin, the hardware & your daw & kb to play it.

Bill Denton
06-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Any of your keyboards that have USB connectors will be connected to the computer with A USB cable.

If any of those items do not have USB connectors, they may be connected the MIDI inputs and outputs on your audio interface (if it has them), or you can use a USB to MIDI cable such as this one: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

Then you will need to read the section on MIDI setup in the Pro Tools manual. It's a tiny bit complicated, but follow the instruction exactly and you'll be okay...