PDA

View Full Version : PT Noob with compatibility question

thebadmojo
05-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey everyone!

I purchased an Akai EIE Pro audio interface that came with pro tools express. I got the software installed and running properly but ended up using a different audio interface after about a month. I'm now using a focusrite scarlett 8i6 and if I try to open up pro tools, it says it can't detect the hardware. I also notice while the pt program is trying to open, it says on the little start up screen "Akai Professional/M-Audio edition". Also, it's version 10.3.3. and I'm using the ilok it came with.

So my question is can I still use the PT Express software with a different audio interface than it came with, namely this focusrite scarlett 8i6? If not, can I still at least crossgrade to PT 10 from this version and then be able to use it with my current interface?

Thanks for any help!

Darryl Ramm
05-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Hey everyone!

I purchased an Akai EIE Pro audio interface that came with pro tools express. I got the software installed and running properly but ended up using a different audio interface after about a month. I'm now using a focusrite scarlett 8i6 and if I try to open up pro tools, it says it can't detect the hardware. I also notice while the pt program is trying to open, it says on the little start up screen "Akai Professional/M-Audio edition". Also, it's version 10.3.3. and I'm using the ilok it came with.

So my question is can I still use the PT Express software with a different audio interface than it came with, namely this focusrite scarlett 8i6? If not, can I still at least crossgrade to PT 10 from this version and then be able to use it with my current interface?

Thanks for any help!

Express s locked to your interface and will not work with third party interfaces. That is pretty clear if you look at the specs or a Pro Tools product comparison.

You can upgrade to a full (native/non-HD) version of Pro Tools 10 which will work with third party interfaces, for $399. This will also get you an included Pro Tools 11 license for when that ships. See Avid's online store or resellers like Sweetwater. You can get the iLok license delivered electronically to your iLok.com account with no shipping needed.

Darryl

nst7
05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
PT Express only works with the interface it's bundled with.

But you can use it to crossgrade to full PT10, and then use that with any interface, like the Scarlett.

Keep in mind the crossgrade from Express is now $499, not $399, with a free upgrade to PT11.

If you record guitar, you might instead consider an Eleven Rack for $699, which includes the full Protools, and the free upgrade to PT11.

Darryl Ramm
05-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the price correction.

I'd definitely look at the Eleven Rack if you are a guitar or bass player or record one. You can hang this off the 8i6 as an outboard processor if you say want to use the two mic preamps or other inputs/outputs on the 8i6.

The other hardware/bundle options is an Mbox Pro with full Pro Tools bundle, at $999 is more expensive than an Eleven Rack but it includes more capabilities than a 8i6 interface.

Darryl

thebadmojo
05-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for such quick replies! I guess I'll just have to crossgrade to be able to use it.