PDA

View Full Version : Reseller incorrectly listing HD features in a Pro Tools ad

boabyd23
05-26-2013, 06:53 AM
So I was browsing the Internet for more features and screenshots and came across this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/avid-pro-tools-11-student-activation-card/81721?gclid=CJKj9sbzs7cCFVDMtAoddl4A4Q

According to G.A.K the student version is £239 though further down at its features it states you get the extended disk cache.

I thought this was HD ONLY.

I really hope avid aren't false advertising again like the 4 years free upgrades crap just to get more customers. Pretty sure this isn't in accordance to trading standards acts.

It states which features are HD only however below is apparently for students.
More scrupelois selling.

List of the features on the website:

Avid Pro Tools 11 Student Activation Card Main Features:
Activation Card for Students. <--------------------------
64-bit compatible
Extended disk cache <------------------------------
Improved disk scheduler
Clip Gain
Real-time Fades
Support for AAX Plug-ins
AudioSuite improvements
LLM for ASIO and Core Audio
New Channel Strip and Down Mixer Plugin
32-bit float session format support
Support for mixed file formats
Input monitoring improvements
Mac System requirements: Avid-qualified Apple computer; Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X Lion; Pro Tools: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended); Pro Tools HD: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended); Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for installation and USB port for iLok authorization.
Windows System requirements: Avid-qualified PC (details); Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32- or 64-bit); Pro Tools: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended); Pro Tools HD: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended); Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for installation; USB port for iLok authorization.

musicman691
05-26-2013, 08:08 AM
There are several things wrongs with the info you posted from GAK.
First - disk cache any version is HD only
Second - the system requirements are wrong. Amongst other things you need Mountain Lion for a Mac. The real Avid requirements say 10.8.3 but 10.8.2 should also work. See this for regular PT11:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-11-System-Requirements

and see this for PT11HD requirements:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-HD-11-System-Requirements?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fcompatibil ity%2FPro-Tools-HD-11-Approved-Audio-Interfaces-and-Peripherals&popup=true

There's an activation card of sorts for anyone that has the serial number for PT on it. At least there was for PT10. Student version has some extra requirements but I don't know what those are or how to fulfill them.

What you ran into was not an Avid advertising thing but GAK giving out incorrect information they cobbled together on their own.

Righty27
05-26-2013, 08:39 AM
FYI, I have asked the 'extended disk cache' question in the main PT11/upgrade thread - hopefully, this is on the list of issues pending clarification from Avid.

The only feature comparison between HD and 'vanilla' versions to date did not mention disk cache so it's possible that it's an undocumented difference, or it is not a difference (i.e. now in vanilla), ... or GAK have incorrectly assumed this to be the case?

DRC Music
05-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Extended Disk Cache will continue to be an HD only feature in 11

If you need that feature... its built into OS X for FREE

http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/23/create-a-ram-disk-in-mac-os-x/

For Windows its under $20

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

You don't have to spend $5k with Avid to get it

zedhed
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
S
I really hope avid aren't false advertising again like the 4 years free upgrades crap just to get more customers. Pretty sure this isn't in accordance to trading standards acts.

It is my understanding from other posts here on the DUC that Avid is honouring existing 4 year upgrades for those who have entered into that agreement but they won't be offering it for future buyers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

DRC Music
05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Straight from Tony Cariddi

tony_cariddi • a month ago

"Hi guys,

If you purchased the Academic Student version of Pro Tools then you are entitled to 4 years of software upgrades at no charge starting from the time of purchase. Owners of this version do not need to retain student status to keep their 4-year upgrade entitlement.

Hope this clears things up."

Thanks,
Tony Cariddi
Avid Marketing

Craig F
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I think the add is wrong (wow a salesman not telling the whole truth, imagine that)

Student = base software, there is a price brake if you are eligible (and maybe an upgrade). that is all

rus5
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
So I was browsing the Internet for more features and screenshots and came across this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/avid-pro-tools-11-student-activation-card/81721?gclid=CJKj9sbzs7cCFVDMtAoddl4A4Q

According to G.A.K the student version is £239 though further down at its features it states you get the extended disk cache.

I thought this was HD ONLY.

It states which features are HD only however below is apparently for students.
More scrupelois selling.

List of the features on the website:

Avid Pro Tools 11 Student Activation Card Main Features:
Activation Card for Students. <--------------------------
64-bit compatible
Extended disk cache <------------------------------
Improved disk scheduler
Clip Gain
Real-time Fades
Support for AAX Plug-ins
AudioSuite improvements
LLM for ASIO and Core Audio
New Channel Strip and Down Mixer Plugin
32-bit float session format support
Support for mixed file formats
Input monitoring improvements
Mac System requirements: Avid-qualified Apple computer; Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X Lion; Pro Tools: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended); Pro Tools HD: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended); Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for installation and USB port for iLok authorization.
Windows System requirements: Avid-qualified PC (details); Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32- or 64-bit); Pro Tools: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended); Pro Tools HD: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended); Minimum 15 GB free hard disk space for installation; USB port for iLok authorization.

Simple. Very very simple. Remember, this is Avid. They're like lawyers - if their lips are moving, they're lying. Period.

sunburst79
06-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure why this is being perceived as anything other than a typo by a retailer.

zedhed
06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
A typo is nowhere near as exciting as a conspiracy theory....at least for those with not much to do in their lives.

Southsidemusic
06-02-2013, 07:01 PM
A typo is nowhere near as exciting as a conspiracy theory....at least for those with not much to do in their lives.

:p

louieshowers
06-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Extended Disk Cache will continue to be an HD only feature in 11

If you need that feature... its built into OS X for FREE

http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/23/create-a-ram-disk-in-mac-os-x/

For Windows its under $20

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

You don't have to spend $5k with Avid to get it

wow ! I am on windows and I am almost ready to purchase this. Can you explain how and why I would implement this on my protools 10 system on windows? i would greatly appreciate any knowledge you could share with me.

My first question: Is this simply a partition that I would (fully) install protools, avid effects, and virtual instruments on to? I am really intrigued by this. Currently I am using an SSD on Windows 7 64.

Thanks!

DRC Music
06-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Copy and pasted from a Pro Tools user

"Also, just a cool tip. If you purchase the RAMDisk app, you can use it to create a mini drive within your RAM (shows up as a hard drive), and if you copy your Pro Tools project into it and load the session from there, you will essentially get the same result as HD users get using disk cashing. I went from 30-50% Disk usage when really pushing the new DEMO session on my system drive, to steady 5% when running it off RAMDisk. It makes PT 10 even better. Just remember to back up from the RAMdisk every once in a while."

louieshowers
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Copy and pasted from a Pro Tools user

"Also, just a cool tip. If you purchase the RAMDisk app, you can use it to create a mini drive within your RAM (shows up as a hard drive), and if you copy your Pro Tools project into it and load the session from there, you will essentially get the same result as HD users get using disk cashing. I went from 30-50% Disk usage when really pushing the new DEMO session on my system drive, to steady 5% when running it off RAMDisk. It makes PT 10 even better. Just remember to back up from the RAMdisk every once in a while."

hmmm...so you can leave everything installed on the main C:drive. You just copy the protools session folder into that mini drive and open it up.. and presto!!??? Sounds almost too simple and too good to be true.....however i am sold! thanks man! :cool:

nigelpry
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
As DRC says though, back up regularly while working on your session, as the automatic backup feature you set up in pro tools would be saving those backups also onto the ramdisk.

If the Ramdisk or your computer should crash, you'll have lost all your work since it was copied across from your real hard drive, unless you've been manually making backup copies back onto your hard drive during your time working on the session.

DRC Music
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Here is some more info Louie

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311123

louieshowers
06-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much guys.. I think I got a handle on this.. But before I pull the trigger, I am wondering if this will be worth my while wheras i am currently using an SSD and have a total of 6gb of RAM installed. My hope is to be able to add a few more heavy plugins without bogging, resulting in me having to make internal bounces and make the original track inactive after?

zedhed
06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
As DRC says though, back up regularly while working on your session, as the automatic backup feature you set up in pro tools would be saving those backups also onto the ramdisk.

If the Ramdisk or your computer should crash, you'll have lost all your work since it was copied across from your real hard drive, unless you've been manually making backup copies back onto your hard drive during your time working on the session.

Good advice! I lost a whole days work in precisely this manner. :eek:

DRC Music
06-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks so much guys.. I think I got a handle on this.. But before I pull the trigger, I am wondering if this will be worth my while wheras i am currently using and SSD and have a total of 6gb of RAM installed. My hope is to be able to add a few more heavy plugins without bogging, resulting in me having to make internal bounces and make the original track inactive after?

With 6gb probably not but you can always try the free one. It allows up to a 4 gb ramdisk and yes ram will always be faster than SSD

louieshowers
06-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I thought so..i actually tried another program, and i did not notice a difference. However when I upgraded to an SSD it was like night and day from a spinner... My system flies and I am happy for now..but when I buy my next rig with tons more RAM I will definitely use this 3rd party software rather than making a $5k donation! Thanks again.

spenner
06-07-2013, 09:15 AM

FWIW, DataRam RAMDisk has an 'AutoSave' option, which backup's data on the ram drive to the hard drive in five minute intervals. It also has a 'Save Disk Image on Shutdown' option.