PDA

View Full Version : Track Presets in Pro Tools 10

albee1952
05-17-2013, 08:16 AM
PT10 allows (although not documented) track presets, which can be any kind of track (or batch of tracks) with all your usual plugins and sends in place. Russ has a video on how to do this on a Mac and its fairly easy to make it work on Windows as well:o

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/6/19/pro-tools-hack-create-track-presets-in-pro-tools.html

dwaynedelario
05-17-2013, 11:00 AM
HOLY CR*P how did I not know about this??? This is the shiznit. Thanks so much for posting this Albee!

scrnplyr
05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Albee,

great trick, esp since it's not documented how else could we learn this except word of mouth? I love it.

TruestPain
05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I've noticed this when configuring my input outputs and sound arrangements.

I was not sure whether I should play around with that part, but it had grabbed my curiosity.

Jiffzillla
06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
One of my instructors at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Arizona is the guy who figured this trick out. He's the Phil Nichols that Russ mentions in the video. Phil is a super-smart guy and incredibly nice. Pro Tools Jedi for sure. Also pretty damn quick with a Nerf gun if you're sleeping in class too! :D

guitardom
06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
One of my instructors at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Arizona is the guy who figured this trick out. He's the Phil Nichols that Russ mentions in the video. Phil is a super-smart guy and incredibly nice. Pro Tools Jedi for sure. Also pretty damn quick with a Nerf gun if you're sleeping in class too! :D
Phil is still there???????? WOW! I was there in 2001.... ;)

Phil is a very cool guy though!

Jiffzillla
06-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Phil is still there???????? WOW! I was there in 2001.... ;)

Phil is a very cool guy though!

Yup! Phil is still there. It's worth the tuition for his instruction alone. Very blessed to know him and to have had him as an instructor.

Gary-Leahy
12-06-2013, 03:45 PM
If anybody has a solution to the below....

I have tried creating track presets to no avail both in PT10 and 11.

I have gone through all the protocols in the 4 to 5 videos including Russ on Pro Tools Expert. Both mac and Pc Vid's

My platform is Win 7 64Bit i5 3.3Ghz Asus Intel. 16Gb Ram DDR3.

When i want to create the track preset it wants to redirect my save to
My Documents/Avid/Pro Tools then the folder I created "Track Preset"

When I went to creat new track from the New Tracks Menu. My new folder was not displayed.IE Vox

So I thought I will try another method .
Deleleting the Track Preset from My Document/Avid/Pro Tools/Track Preset.
Then Creating Track Preset Folder in Programs (x86) Avid/Pro Tools. (For PT10)

Tried to save new track preset "file" to the Track Preset in the directory Just for argument sake..
Vox.ptxt. Same message it wants me to redirect and save in my documents.

Obviously a conflict some where.
I am wondering if any one has had the same issues that might have solution.

I can really see the benefits to track presets.
Your helps appreciated

Thanks
Gary

Oliver M
12-07-2013, 06:04 AM
When i want to create the track preset it wants to redirect my save to
My Documents/Avid/Pro Tools then the folder I created "Track Preset"

The correct location is Documents/Avid/Pro Tools/Track Presets
plural!

Also, the sessions must reside in their own subfolders. In example if you create a track preset by the name of "My New Preset", the .ptxt file should reside in Documents/Avid/Pro Tools/Track Presets/My New Preset or Documents/Avid/Pro Tools/Track Presets/New Presets (or whatever you want to call the subfolder).

Oliver

Gary-Leahy
12-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks Oliver will check and try "Track Presets and not Track Preset
To night

I feel confident the solution is the correct one

thanks Mate
Gary:-)

Gary-Leahy
12-09-2013, 02:21 AM
STILL NO TRACK PRESET.
c:\ DOCUMENTS\AVID\TRACK PRESETS\VOX\VOX.PTXT (Sub Folder)

It saves it as session file not a track preset

VERY FRUSTRATING

THIS IS IN PRO TOOLS 10.3.7

Oliver M
12-09-2013, 02:51 AM
STILL NO TRACK PRESET.
c:\ DOCUMENTS\AVID\TRACK PRESETS\VOX\VOX.PTXT (Sub Folder)

It saves it as session file not a track preset

VERY FRUSTRATING

THIS IS IN PRO TOOLS 10.3.7

Oops, sorry to hear this. I am on Mac and PT 11 so.... unfortunately cannot help here I guess.

Gary-Leahy
12-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks Oliver

Guess what !!!!

It works in PT11

Thanks mate. So what you posted was correct.
Track Presets "Plural"

However I will persist with PT10.3.7

You're a legend
Again many thanks:-)

Oliver M
12-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks Oliver

Guess what !!!!

It works in PT11

Thanks mate. So what you posted was correct.
Track Presets "Plural"

However I will persist with PT10.3.7

You're a legend
Again many thanks:-)

Great, you're welcome.
I assume you used the "Save As Template..." feature, have you tried "Export/Selected Tracks as New Session…" in PT 10? You then must change the extension from "ptx" to "ptxt" manually.

Gary-Leahy
12-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Oliver

Sorry about the delay response. Being on the other side of the world here in
Australia.

And yes in Pt 11, I did use " Save as Template"

I will give your sugestion a go in PT10. Tonight OZ Time.

I will keep you posted.

Track Presets Fantastic:-):-):-)

uller
12-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Just to clarify

this "hack" can also be applied in protools 8 og 9

""If you are on 8 or 9, then here’s how to do it…
1) Go to Applications > Avid > Pro Tools (or Digidesign > Pro Tools for v8 or 9). Here, create a folder titled “Track Presets”. I also recommend creating folders within “Track Presets” for different categories (ex: Submix Masters, Reverbs, etc) although you can do that later on.
2) Create and configure tracks (including inputs, outputs, names, sends, volume, pan, plug-ins, etc) as desired.
3) From the File menu, choose Save As Template.
4) Choose “Select Location for template”
5) Navigate to a folder within the Track Presets folder (or create a new folder in Track Presets) or just save anywhere then move the template(s) to these folders later.

Once your templates are saved to folders within the “Track Presets” folder, they will appear as options in the New Track dialog below the normal track types (audio track, aux input track, etc). You can still use Command + Down/Up to switch through these and Option Command Down/Up will switch between multiples in your sub-folders.
by Russ Hughes (http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/author/protoolsexpert)"

i can make this work ,but i need to restart protools before it takes affect

dont know if this is old news :-)

I&I
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
for me, it's working on PT10 but not PT11. Not sure why but if someone can guide me thru this it would be great.
I'm on Mac PTHD11 native thunderbolt.
Thanks

musicman691
02-03-2014, 04:11 AM
for me, it's working on PT10 but not PT11. Not sure why but if someone can guide me thru this it would be great.
I'm on Mac PTHD11 native thunderbolt.
Thanks
What exactly do you mean it's not working for you? You can't create them or you can create them but PT11 doesn't see them? The track presets folder for PT11 on a Mac is in a folder off your Mac username home folder.

I&I
02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Musicman691 thanks for your help, I was in the PT10 folder. Had to go to my username folder. Thanks again bro.

musicman691
02-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Musicman691 thanks for your help, I was in the PT10 folder. Had to go to my username folder. Thanks again bro.
No problem; it confused me at first as well.

TweedyBird
02-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I must be missing something. Everything works as advertised, I guess, but I don't see when I would use this rather than just create a new session using the template. If I click on New Track and select this, every track from my template comes into my session (so if my session already has a Drum track, and my template has a drum track, I now have 2 Drum tracks).
TweedyBird

Dave Modisette
03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Well this is just too FRICKIN' cool. I thought I had lost Track Templates forever and I was forced to build massive multitrack setups.

A bit of confusion with the directories in Windows. In my case, there was a folder in Libraries>Documents>My Documents>Pro Tools. That's where I had to create my Track Presets folder and continue on from their.

Anyway, I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.

YYR123
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Dave what's up man - I bought the session strings from you!!!

I really want track presets but avid managed / not the work around

albee1952
03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
I must be missing something. Everything works as advertised, I guess, but I don't see when I would use this rather than just create a new session using the template. If I click on New Track and select this, every track from my template comes into my session (so if my session already has a Drum track, and my template has a drum track, I now have 2 Drum tracks).
TweedyBird
What about if someone brings a session to you and asks you to record/add to it? I saved track presets for drums(with all AUX tracks, bus compression and plugins, some of which are inactive for tracking due to latency, and a drum master VCA), a preset for 2-mic vocal recording(including reverb and the audio tracks grouped), another for 3-mic vocals. I have a preset for talkback, with the auto-ducking all preset. Another for acoustic recording(with 2 mics, grouped, plus aux track with reverb).

Last week I had a client bring 12 sessions started elsewhere to add vocals to. I created a preset with the 2 audio tracks(for tube and FET), vocal reverb, and talkback setup(total of 6 tracks). Opened each session and added all in a single step:D Sure I have a session template with everything, but I also have track presets for most things that I may need. If you can't think of a need, maybe you're not thinking it thru enough:rolleyes:

frederic Bacquet
05-02-2014, 02:01 AM
Hey,

Is there someone who knows how to make it work with PT11 and windows 7. I use that trick on 10.3.8 and I missed it on my 11.
No procontrol driver + impossibility to use that... hard time !!!

musicman691
05-03-2014, 04:05 AM
Hey,

Is there someone who knows how to make it work with PT11 and windows 7. I use that trick on 10.3.8 and I missed it on my 11.
No procontrol driver + impossibility to use that... hard time !!!
As found by a simple Google search see posts 8 and onwards in this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338989
There's also this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLdZCWzx1KM
Can't help on the ProControl driver though other than to say you might want to check into Ideascale for a thread on that.

YYR123
05-03-2014, 08:37 AM
What irks me is why doesn't avid just roll this functionality into PT - officially that is

frederic Bacquet
05-04-2014, 02:23 AM
Hey little music mind...

I knew that videos.. but it only works with PT10.
Forums are full of little people like you.
I won't give thousands of links with answers like yours.
Everything is on forums yet and I don't need someone like you to know that.
Happy little sunday in your happy little life of happy little winner...

musicman691
05-04-2014, 03:44 AM
Hey little music mind...

I knew that videos.. but it only works with PT10.
Forums are full of little people like you.
I won't give thousands of links with answers like yours.
Everything is on forums yet and I don't need someone like you to know that.
Happy little sunday in your happy little life of happy little winner...
I'll ignore the snark but if you truly read the thread I linked to you'll see where the person that asked about using it in PT11 came back in post 13 and said that it worked for him as outlined by Oliver M.

Have you really tried what's outlined in the video? Same hack works in both PT10 and PT11; it's just knowing where to save the track presets to in PT11. In Windows I believe there's a folder tree coming off the My Documents folder that has a bunch of Avid stuff there and that's where you create (if it isn't there already) a Track Presets folder. I know the Mac version of PT11 automatically creates a folder of that name.

frederic Bacquet
05-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Hey again,

As I told befor, I knew your "links".
So... do you think I tryed it before to post on that forum???
For your information, it doesn't work with protools 11 on pc. If you look at that video you will see that the subfolder is created in C/ x86 folders (32 bits) : PT11 is in programmes folder (64bits). That's why !!!!

So, if someone knows how to make it works for PT 11 in windows 7, it will be really helpful.

One other solution should be that for any reason, it doesn't work for MY computer.

musicman691
05-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Hey again,

As I told befor, I knew your "links".
So... do you think I tryed it before to post on that forum???
For your information, it doesn't work with protools 11 on pc. If you look at that video you will see that the subfolder is created in C/ x86 folders (32 bits) : PT11 is in programmes folder (64bits). That's why !!!!

So, if someone knows how to make it works for PT 11 in windows 7, it will be really helpful.

One other solution should be that for any reason, it doesn't work for MY computer.
Like I said - you have to know the folder structure for where to put them presets and that is covered in the thread I linked to. It worked for other people so unless you have something totally weird going on on your computer it will work for you. You just have to lose the attitude, that's all. And the track presets folder doesn't go in the program folder.

Forget the video and look at the thread I linked to - your answers ARE there. You'll find it goes in a folder tree off the My Documents folder just like Oliver M says it does.

I'm trying hard to to go off on your snark but it's getting difficult but don't worry because I don't play those kinds of games. I'm trying to help and if you can't see that then that's not my problem. I've seen your replies in another thread here where you went off on someone who didn't need it - that kind of 'tude will get you nowheres.

frederic Bacquet
05-06-2014, 07:44 AM
This just doesn't work...
Could you admit that???

frederic Bacquet
05-06-2014, 08:06 AM
So for those how wants the information :

Presets (folders and subfolders) won't appear before you create a first preset.

So Document / protools / Track Presets / subfolder (routing master for example) / Subsubfolder (2 aux + master for example) / file you save as template (anything will appear before you create that first template.

If it can help someone. (better than just giving a link).

musicman691
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
So for those how wants the information :

Presets (folders and subfolders) won't appear before you create a first preset.

So Document / protools / Track Presets / subfolder (routing master for example) / Subsubfolder (2 aux + master for example) / file you save as template (anything will appear before you create that first template.

If it can help someone. (better than just giving a link).
Your description of the workflow is just plain wrong. Creating presets does not automatically create the folder it resides in although you can work that way. The folders can be created BEFORE you create track presets.
This just doesn't work...
Could you admit that???
It does work for many people - can't you just admit that? Just because you can't make it work is your issue. I tried to help and gave you links to places where it's talked about that it does work but if you don't want to follow that then I can do no more here and have wasted my time trying to help someone in good faith.