PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible to Take Old Wav File, Find Beats, End Up with New PT Song?

TonyPT
04-28-2013, 04:49 AM
Hello,

I have old .wav files of original music that I did in the 70's-80s. I can easily drag one of those .wav files into PT10. What I would like to do is, while following the tempo of the .wav file, is to record the song in PT10. After the PT10 version is complete, I would remove the imported .wav file.

I have heard of Identify Beat and Beat Detective, however, is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in Pro Tools?

Thank you for any advice,

Tony

John_Toolbox
04-28-2013, 06:17 AM
If I understand correctly, you want to re-record these old songs track by track, using the original for a reference. So yes, all you really need to do is create your tempo map using beat detective, then once you have that set up, you can start re-recording.

sunburst79
04-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Hello,

I have old .wav files of original music that I did in the 70's-80s. I can easily drag one of those .wav files into PT10. What I would like to do is, while following the tempo of the .wav file, is to record the song in PT10. After the PT10 version is complete, I would remove the imported .wav file.

I have heard of Identify Beat and Beat Detective, however, is what I'm trying to accomplish possible in Pro Tools?

Thank you for any advice,

Tony

Sure.

TonyPT
04-28-2013, 06:23 AM
John_Toolbox,

Thanks for your reply. I'll start researching how to create a tempo map using Beat Detective

dr_daw
04-28-2013, 08:29 AM
I've done this exact thing with cover songs. There are great tutorials on Recordingrevolution and puremix to show you how to use Beat Detective. I ended up using the Identify beat function more than Beat detective to figure out tempos.

Good luck and have fun.

TonyPT
04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Hello dr_daw,

Yes, using Beat Detective is going to be a little more difficult than I originally thought. The tempo of the song that I want to map is @124 bpm, however, after a few elementary Beat Detective tries the tempo appears to Beat Detective as @88 bpm.

I will certainly take your advice and checkout Recordingrevolution and www.puremix.net. I assume you meant, http://therecordingrevolution.com.

Lastly, I will also research Identify Beat as you stated.

Thank you,

Tony

dr_daw
04-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey Tony,

I found that as well with Beat detective and Identify beat, so unless the song was recorded to a click, it can be tough to nail down the exact tempo. I found the best thing was to select about an 8bar section, check that section, then move to the middle and do the same, so on and so forth. I would then take the average and set my tempo to that. If you're not planning on using anything from the original recording, I wouldn't get too caught up in making it match exactly.

You're right, I meant 'therecordingrevolution'...I just searched on YouTube for finding the tempo of a song. That's where I got the info on 'Identify Beat'.

Good luck, have fun :D

dave911
04-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Take a look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEkzbQKGgI

TonyPT
04-29-2013, 03:45 AM
Thank you dr_daw for your additional input, and dave911 for the Youtube link.

I'm sure this will help a great deal.

Tony