PDA

View Full Version : @ Avid : PT11 & Hypercontrol

Carl Kolchak
04-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Could we please get some sort of official elaboration on what the situation is with Pro Tools 11, and Hypercontrol functionality?

According to the PT11 approved audio interfaces and peripherals (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-11-Approved-Audio-Interfaces-and-Peripherals) page, Hypercontrol is no longer officially supported.

I understand there is a difference between "not supported", and "will not work".

I also understand that, after the announcement of the new Axiom AIR range of keyboard/controllers, and during the actual release of those products, that Avid sold m-audio, and AIR, to InMusic.

But given the still very integrated product ties between Pro Tools, AIR, and m-audio, can you give some clarification on whether or not Hypercontrol profiles are likely, or even possible/allowed to be developed - either by AIR/m-audio, or in partnership with Avid?

Personally speaking, the thing that sold me on the new Axiom AIR range was the tight integration with Pro Tools.

I scrutinised all the official product details, and when the product eventually arrived, I also scrutinised the packaging - which was still branded Avid.

To cut a very long story short, it took a further 4 months from me receiving my product, for a 64bit OS driver to be developed and released (try buying a modern computer with a 32bit OS), and when it was finally released on the 27th of March (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver&serie_ID=3&PID=92be045cca774e32de39c5cf7ca4e282&OS=x91#tabs), contrary to all the previous official product details, the new 64bit Hypercontrol driver/profile was only compatible with PT10.3.3 or higher (http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/Axiom_AIR_Mini_32_-_HyperControl_Guide_-_Pro_Tools_-_v1.0.pdf).

So, 7 months after the pre-orders have been made, and in spite of published system requirements, and promises of support, the device will is only supported on a version of the software that didn't even exist until after the fact.

Just to highlight how unreasonable this situation is :

27th of March - The Axiom AIR 64bit OS Hypercontrol personality is made available.

8th of April - Pro Tools 11 (without Hypercontrol support) is announced.

That a whopping 13 day supported lifespan for a brand new product!

Please tell me there will be continued Hypercontrol development after PT11 is released.

zedhed
04-21-2013, 02:25 PM
A fair and reasonable question in my opinion.

Judging by the lack of input by Avid on a myriad of topics being discussed surrounding the release of PT11 here on the DUC, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for an 'official' answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Anti Avid, and I will be upgrading to PT11, but I do think more effort could be afforded in making a meaningful official presence or at least a semblance of one.

P,B,S
04-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I can understand how that seems extreamly unfair to you.
A brand new unsupported product. Ya that does suck
I would be making a stink on that If I were you
assuming the your facts are accrurate

YYR123
04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
I would love to see it as well

Works great here at 10.3.2

ChuckS
04-22-2013, 03:57 AM
And then AVID broke the stereo pan in 10.3.3 - what was that, like the day after they got rid of M-Audio . . .

MarkH
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Was there ever an official word on whether PT 11 (now 11.2 as of this writing) will support Hyper Control? M-Audio keeps saying Avid hasn't supported it YET in PT 11, but I wonder if it's really coming?

Carl Kolchak
07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Was there ever an official word on whether PT 11 (now 11.2 as of this writing) will support Hyper Control? M-Audio keeps saying Avid hasn't supported it YET in PT 11, but I wonder if it's really coming?

As is well documented, Avid stating that something is "not supported" does not necessarily mean that it will not work (and usually the opposite. They're just covering their corporate assets, and are usually very clear if something absolutely "will not work").

M-Audio have released updated drivers for most of the Axiom AIR range, that do apparently deliver on the Hypercontrol front.

Unfortunately for me, Sod's Law being what it is, the Axiom AIR Mini-32 is the only unit in the Axiom AIR range for which they have not written a new driver.

I asked M-Audio tech support what the status was, and they said "Don't know, but try giving the driver for the rest of the Axiom range a whirl, it might work???"

I haven't tried doing that, but I'm doubtful it will work, as it is a firmware update for the Axiom AIR 25, 49, and 61 , which are quite different from the Mini-32.

Still waiting for M-Audio to pick up the ball basically.

Becharax
07-08-2014, 04:14 AM
I didn't get it .. I did install the hypercontrol driver for my axiom air 49 and i still can't manage to make it work in pro tools 11 ... what am i missing in here ?

YYR123
07-08-2014, 06:32 AM
And you set it up in peripherals?

Becharax
07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
No because the tracks turn blueish ... with auto record ... anyway .. how to do it ?

YYR123
07-08-2014, 08:07 AM
It's online somewhere / and in the manual I would have to look it up / and my internet is now "pay to play"