PDA

View Full Version : Surround in PT11?

mountainman
04-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Hello!

Does anyone know if surroundmixing will be included in PT11?
I'm doing more and more surroundmixing and it would be nice if that is one of the new features in PT11.
If not I'm thinking about switching to Logic even if I have been a PT user since 1994...

Thanks!

Righty27
04-17-2013, 01:16 AM
No - it is not included in the 'basic' version, only in HD.

On previous versions of protools (e.g. PT10), one could purchase the $2000 Complete Production Toolkit (CPTK) from Avid (or possibly a cheaper 'second hand' CPTK iLok licence e.g. on eBay or DUC) to unlock the surround feature, as well as others. This effectively upgraded your Pro Tools to HD, although one could not run DSP-dependent features such as Heat.

From PT11, Avid have withdrawn all toolkits so the only way to get surround is to purchase HD which requires associated Avid hardware (there is what appears to be a one time, software-only option for existing CPTK owners to upgrade to HD without hardware ... until PT12).

There is another thread on PT11/CPTK which basically involves users trying to influence Avid to change this approach.

Cheesewater
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Will second-hand CPTK licenses still work? Even ones purchased after today?

nigelpry
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes in PT10 and below, but if Avid do not reverse the policy on CPTK'S withdrawal, then never in PT11 and above.

ChazC
04-17-2013, 02:46 PM
It's also worth mentioning that if you got a 2nd hand CPTK license (if Avid haven't already stopped iLok from transferring them) that it won't be registered in your Avid account so *may* not entitle you to the PT11HD upgrade should you find you have $999 to drop on it.

If you want to stick on 10 though you should be fine.