PDA

View Full Version : PT11HD without hardware - is it possible or not?

ErikGuldager
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Reading this:
"Pro Tools|HD Audio Interface Required
All Pro Tools|HD systems require the presence of at least one Pro Tools|HD audio interface (purchased separately). Additional interfaces can be added to extend your I/O capabilities."

Is it no longer possible to be able to run PT11HD without Avid Hardware?

I do sincerely hope that I'm reading it wrong...

KMcK
04-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I think you're misreading. I believe what they're saying is if you're using HD PCI cards (HD Native or HDX) then you need an interface as well since the cards don't have I/O of their own.

They're allowing PT10 + CPTK customers who don't have HD hardware to upgrade to PT11HD software, so it must run without HD hardware.

ErikGuldager
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I hope you are right.
I'm not convinced you are though until I get a official answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KMcK
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
The EXACT same language is used in the PT10HD system requirements, and that runs fine using CoreAudio interfaces. It's a terminology thing - "Audio Interface" in the world of PTHD means the I/O box that plugs into the PCI cards, not the cards themselves.

But you're welcome to continue to be a sceptic if you like, seems like you're hoping for bad news for some reason.

nst7
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
That's correct.

To elaborate on this, I have HD Native and Omni.

If my Omni is not turned on, and I launch Protools, at a certain point during startup it tells me "no HD interface detected" and that I must choose anothe audio engine (built in output, 3rd party interface, etc.).

This is referring to that aspect. Basically an HD Native or HDX card by itself is a useless brick if you don't have your HD interface hooked up and turned on.

This is a different issue than using the HD software with other interfaces, which, as stated, works fine.

KMcK
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
From the Avid PT11 Webinar yesterday:

HD software with still work on a non-DSP system and still give you many of the HD features

and

PT 11HD will run on a native system with no I/O connected as a minimum config as long as you have a PT HD ilok asset

ErikGuldager
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Thank you!

No I do not wish for that kind of bad news. Although we mostly use Nuendo by choice, we still want to be able to offer PT in all our nine Edit rooms (and on our dubstage off course) and we need 5.1 and VCAs etc.

ErikGuldager
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Edit: frustration and incomplete information lead to my incorrect conclusion below.

So ignore this:

And unfortunately you where both right and wrong...
We old PT users that chose to keep and upgrade our old PTHD licenses but not invest in Avid hardware are hosed!
As are all the users that bought PTHD licenses on eBay...

The only licenses that can upgrade are CPTK2 owners...

This smells VERY bad in my nose I'll tell you!

KMcK
04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
And unfortunately you where both right and wrong...
We old PT users that chose to keep and upgrade our old PTHD licenses but not invest in Avid hardware are hosed!
As are all the users that bought PTHD licenses on eBay...

Great way to fxxk over your users.

The only licenses that can upgrade are CPTK2 owners...

This smells VERY bad in my nose I'll tell you!

What planet do you live on, and are they maybe running out of oxygen? None of that makes any sense whatsoever. You seriously just seem to be looking for a reason to be angry about something, even if you have to make something up to get there.

conleec
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
There's a famous quote framed on many pubs: "If you really were a great customer, you'd order more!" ;)

Do you really think that HD license comes for free for us HD hardware customers? And they really charge that top money for the card alone? Really? Of course HD customers have paid a whole lot more than CPTK customers and the price seems to be a good deal from my standpoint.

Non-HD customers do not need to upgrade hardware, by the way. Think about costs of upgrading a TDM system and then try to make a point of Avid ripping you off... :/

JFreak,

While this may make perfect sense from a "peanut counter's" perspective, the simple truth is the majority of the customers don't agree. And for that simple reason alone, I think it's in Avid's best interest to simply knock $400 bucks off the crossgrade price for CPTK customers.

They can continue to argue the merits from now to eternity (and anger all the good folks here), or they can simply save some customer goodwill and probably make more sales too by doing the simple thing.

But in the longer run, I still feel Avid is making a HUGE mistake by not offering at least surround and full automation in the basic package. Every other competitor offers this functionality in there package, and the only way to get it now is to be tied to hardware. I think that's a REALLY BAD move. People made the purchasing option for CPTK for many reasons, but chief among them was portability.

Move surround and automation to PT basic, and that leaves VCAs, huge track counts and advanced metering for the HD rigs. To me that makes much more sense.

Chris Conlee

Carl Lie
04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
JFreak,

Move surround and automation to PT basic,

Chris Conlee

I agree with this. You should start a petition.

C

nigelpry
04-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Eric, didn't my post n the other thread where you go on about the upgrade only being for CPTK owners set you straight?

I'm not going to repeat it all here, but your PT10HD licences can be upgraded to PT11HD and you do not need HD hardware to do that.

You have not been hosed, unless you consider that paying $599 per licence is equivalent to being hosed ( which I wouldn't blame you for thinking ... didn't you say you have 3 or 4 licences ... that $2400 to shell outvif you are upgrading 4).

ErikGuldager
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Eric, didn't my post n the other thread where you go on about the upgrade only being for CPTK owners set you straight?

I'm not going to repeat it all here, but your PT10HD licences can be upgraded to PT11HD and you do not need HD hardware to do that.

You have not been hosed, unless you consider that paying $599 per licence is equivalent to being hosed ( which I wouldn't blame you for thinking ... didn't you say you have 3 or 4 licences ... that $2400 to shell outvif you are upgrading 4).

Yes I did thanks, I didn't see it until this morning though.
As long as you are right I'm happy. It actually makes total sense, just that I heard info to the contrary both here on the duc and elsewhere from other PT users.

I'll go back and change how I expressed my frustration in this one...
Tried at night and frustrated because of incomplete information lead to anger.

tamasdragon
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Avid really need some communication expert! User frustration comes from the lack of concrete information.

rockguitarist1255
04-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Alright I'm still a little confused. I have Pro Tools 10 regular, non HD with my Avid Mbox 3rd gen. I want to upgrade my interface to a Focusrite with 28X28 in/out. Fits my needs perfectly.

I also want to get Pro Tools 11 HD, since the main 2 reasons for the HD are
1. Advanced track metering
2. Higher track count just like all HD

From what I understand, the CPTK is already gone, so that option is out of the window. I have read that others say that unless you already have a CPTK, then upgrading to PT11 HD will be a bit annoying to do. Is this 100% correct, or no, because I have also heard others speculate that Avid still has to announce it's finalization on this stuff.

So basically, if that is the truth, is the only way for me to get PT 11HD, is to buy one of those PCI and HD interface combos? I honestly don't want an Avid HD console, the Focusrite I'm loooking at honeslty fits my needs better than any of Avid's interfaces. (No offense to Avid of course I'm not saying they're bad just my personal preference and needs) So basically is the only way to get PT 11HD is to buy one of those combos, keep the PCI HD card, sell the interface, and just use a 3rd party interface with the HD software?

crizdee
04-10-2013, 01:02 AM
So basically, if that is the truth, is the only way for me to get PT 11HD, is to buy one of those PCI and HD interface combos? I honestly don't want an Avid HD console, the Focusrite I'm loooking at honeslty fits my needs better than any of Avid's interfaces. (No offense to Avid of course I'm not saying they're bad just my personal preference and needs) So basically is the only way to get PT 11HD is to buy one of those combos, keep the PCI HD card, sell the interface, and just use a 3rd party interface with the HD software?

Hi,

Yes, from now on you will have to buy HD hardware to get HD software.

Many of the HD features are tied into the hardware! So wouldn't work with third party interfaces. Some would of course! But that era is ending.

CPTK users can upgrade to 11HD as a one off offer. I guess that means they won't be able to upgrade to PT12 or beyond using CPTK etc, so do it with 11 or never.

Chris

ejwells
04-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I hope you are right.
I'm not convinced you are though until I get a official answer.

Considering that they're offering an upgrade to an 11HD asset from PT10+CPTK, I'd say it's pretty clear that an 11HD asset will run a native system.

ejwells
04-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Alright I'm still a little confused. I have Pro Tools 10 regular, non HD with my Avid Mbox 3rd gen. I want to upgrade my interface to a Focusrite with 28X28 in/out. Fits my needs perfectly.

I also want to get Pro Tools 11 HD, since the main 2 reasons for the HD are
1. Advanced track metering
2. Higher track count just like all HD

From what I understand, the CPTK is already gone, so that option is out of the window. I have read that others say that unless you already have a CPTK, then upgrading to PT11 HD will be a bit annoying to do. Is this 100% correct, or no, because I have also heard others speculate that Avid still has to announce it's finalization on this stuff.

You can still buy CPTK2's from dealers, and use them to upgrade from 10+CPTK to 11HD. They may pull all stock on the CPTK2's soon, but as of right now they're still out there.

PatrickM
04-10-2013, 05:42 AM
I agree with Chris

8dB.co.uk
04-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi,

Many of the HD features are tied into the hardware! So wouldn't work with third party interfaces. Some would of course! But that era is ending.

CPTK users can upgrade to 11HD as a one off offer. I guess that means they won't be able to upgrade to PT12 or beyond using CPTK etc, so do it with 11 or never.

Chris

Well actually, the main headline new feature - fast bounce, is totally not tied to the hardware, and the new audio engine uses 64bit to get the best out of today's multi-core hyperthreaded processors, rather than the HDX card.

Any manufacturer that ties itself into proprietary hardware these days is mad.

AWS

nst7
04-10-2013, 07:25 AM
So basically is the only way to get PT 11HD is to buy one of those combos, keep the PCI HD card, sell the interface, and just use a 3rd party interface with the HD software?

Actually, you could sell both the interface and the PCI card. You just need the software license. Having a card installed doesn't do anything if an HD interface is not hooked up. It won't even be recognized as an option.

actualsizeaudio
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Actually, you could sell both the interface and the PCI card. You just need the software license. Having a card installed doesn't do anything if an HD interface is not hooked up. It won't even be recognized as an option.

Yeah but you'll probably want to keep that card in a drawer somewhere so you can access the serial number on it when you go to upgrade.

nst7
04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
If that's how they do it in the future, then yes.

Again, it would be nice to have Avid clarify how they'll do future upgrades.

cjwalker
04-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry if it's been answered already, but in upgrading my cptk2 to 11HD Native would I still retain the cptk for use in PT10 or is it surrendered? Makes the option of running both 10 + 11 on the same machine impractical if I was to loose the functionality that cptk gives.

actualsizeaudio
04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Sorry if it's been answered already, but in upgrading my cptk2 to 11HD Native would I still retain the cptk for use in PT10 or is it surrendered? Makes the option of running both 10 + 11 on the same machine impractical if I was to loose the functionality that cptk gives.

My understanding is you get a PT11HD license, AND a PT10HD license.

ejwells
04-10-2013, 07:53 AM

If you upgraded from CPTK to 11HD, the 11HD asset would be a 10HD/11HD bundle, hence no need for the CPTK that you'd surrender

nst7
04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
No one knows yet, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to work, mainly because I don't know how else they would verify that someone has a CPTK license. If it's not based on seeing (and surrendering) the Ilok license, then the alternative would be to ask every CPTK owner to submit their original activation codes, and I seriously doubt that's gonna work.

nst7
04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Good point, EJ. Hadn't thought of that.

ejwells
04-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Yeah but you'll probably want to keep that card in a drawer somewhere so you can access the serial number on it when you go to upgrade.

Since PT9HD, there's no serial number requirement to upgrade.
You need a 9HD license to surrender for a 10HD license, a 10HD for an 11HD, and so it goes.
Especially now that you can upgrade a CPTK to an 11HD license, all you'd need is the 11HD license to surrender for a 12HD license, as you'd never have had an HD card.