PDA

View Full Version : TransVST !

Actionmusic
12-03-2012, 07:50 AM
http://www.sugar-bytes.de

New wrapper for VST to AAX! plus audiosuite, yay! could this be the solution to the ongoing FXpansion problems

John_Toolbox
12-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Very Nice, this is huge.

wmcintyre
12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Great .....working really well...

Actionmusic
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
there's a couple of bugs i've noticed re recall/reloading on a specific plug, but i'll email the dev on that, too be fair it is v1.

what is great - wrap Reaktor FX, go to audiosuite window, load odd preset in reakote window that appears, audiosuite your region - bosh, crazy! this alone worth price of admission for me. thanks Sugar Bytes...

EDIT: I've only had the above problem with one plug, i think this is going to be expected with the huge amount of 3rd party ones out there, don't want to do SugarBytes a disservice. This is going to be alot of fun, loading up TAL freebies now, all good!

EDIT2: Some neat touches, on certain plugs the vst presets are converted to Pro Tools presets so you can select from the window. Seems pretty solid as well.

Vovique
12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
This is terrific news!!! Now I don't have to filter out VST only instruments in KVR search. Wish I had an extra hundred for immediate purchase, but sadly all savings went into Black Friday plug-ins sales...

Stiff
12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Was wondering when someone was gonna do this....

Actionmusic
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
there's a couple of bugs i've noticed re recall/reloading on a specific plug, but i'll email the dev on that, too be fair it is v1.

what is great - wrap Reaktor FX, go to audiosuite window, load odd preset in reakote window that appears, audiosuite your region - bosh, crazy! this alone worth price of admission for me. thanks Sugar Bytes...

EDIT: I've only had the above problem with one plug, i think this is going to be expected with the huge amount of 3rd party ones out there, don't want to do SugarBytes a disservice. This is going to be alot of fun, loading up TAL freebies now, all good!

EDIT2: Some neat touches, on certain plugs the vst presets are converted to Pro Tools presets so you can select from the window. Seems pretty solid as well. make sure you have "handles" default to 0, found this could be a bit funky with the audiosuite side

Emcha_audio
12-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Wanted to try it but doesn't show on their webpage at the moment.

kazuomik
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/TransVST/

yamahadrums
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
No demo?

psmworld
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
anyone wants to jump into this?

Emcha_audio
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/TransVST/

Thanks for posting it, don't know where you got that link cause tansvst is not shown in the product list.

Mohur
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Are the AAX plugins going to replace Rtas and TDM PLUGINS

WorldStudios
12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
There IS a god and he loves us! :-)

Here is hoping it works better than the fxpansion vst to Rtas one has been doing the past years. Anyway it is great news. Great.

Actionmusic
12-04-2012, 05:30 AM
hmm, just as i've pointed a couple of people towards this - seems to have disappeared from their site..

remute
12-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Looks like it's no longer viewable on the website?

more info here:

http://www.440audio.com/en/software/...r-Bytes-TransV ST/

VST to AAX wrapper
TransVST is a plugin wrapper, which transforms VST plugins into AAX Plugins.
With TransVST, you can use VST Plugins in Pro Tools 10 and higher.
TransVST runs as a standalone program which offers a luxurious plugin management and integrates any VST plugin in Pro Tools, so that it can be used as a normal AAX plugin. TransVST is already 64bit compatible and so it's ready for future Pro Tools versions. Furthermore, TransVST supports creative plugin functions like Midi Out, Sidechaining and Multi Outputs.

Features at a glance:
- Multi Output for Effects and Instruments
- Multi Input for Effects (Sidechaining)
- Midi Output
- AudioSuite support
- FXB/FXP Preset Import
- Stereo to Mono
- VST Shell support
- 64bit ready

Southsidemusic
12-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Looks like it's no longer viewable on the website?

more info here:

http://www.440audio.com/en/software/...r-Bytes-TransV ST/

VST to AAX wrapper
TransVST is a plugin wrapper, which transforms VST plugins into AAX Plugins.
With TransVST, you can use VST Plugins in Pro Tools 10 and higher.
TransVST runs as a standalone program which offers a luxurious plugin management and integrates any VST plugin in Pro Tools, so that it can be used as a normal AAX plugin. TransVST is already 64bit compatible and so it's ready for future Pro Tools versions. Furthermore, TransVST supports creative plugin functions like Midi Out, Sidechaining and Multi Outputs.

Features at a glance:
- Multi Output for Effects and Instruments
- Multi Input for Effects (Sidechaining)
- Midi Output
- AudioSuite support
- FXB/FXP Preset Import
- Stereo to Mono
- VST Shell support
- 64bit ready

That link is dead too and the transvst PI is *gone*

yamahadrums
12-04-2012, 06:33 AM
http://www.440audio.com/en/software/v6943-Sugar-Bytes-TransVST/#mac

remute
12-04-2012, 07:59 AM
http://www.440audio.com/en/software/v6943-Sugar-Bytes-TransVST/#mac

Thanks for posting the correct link.

Reply from Sugar Bytes

"Hi,

once we have released (we did a bit too early),
there will be a demo,"

Emcha_audio
12-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Except that the download link is getting a forbidden page back at the sugar-bytes site. I think that product is no longer available for some reason.

skyko
12-04-2012, 10:17 AM
At least they could provide an acknowledgement that they did pull the product. A good company would give even reasons for the move.

I guess they just made it on my "don't buy" list ...

remute
12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
At least they could provide an acknowledgement that they did pull the product. A good company would give even reasons for the move.

I guess they just made it on my "don't buy" list ...

I posted this -

Reply from Sugar Bytes

"Hi,

once we have released (we did a bit too early),
there will be a demo,"

They're one of the better companies out there, certainly more likely to keep it working/fix bugs than FXpansion and their bug-fest of a wrapper.

Noiselab
12-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I managed to purchase a copy of TransVST yesterday before it was pulled. It seems to work for just about everything I've thrown at it with the exception of the .VST support plug-ins for the Focusrite LiquidMix. I suppose I should just get rid of this dinosaur :o, but I still love it when it works...

NL

remute
12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I managed to purchase a copy of TransVST yesterday before it was pulled. It seems to work for just about everything I've thrown at it with the exception of the .VST support plug-ins for the Focusrite LiquidMix. I suppose I should just get rid of this dinosaur :o, but I still love it when it works...

NL

That sounds good - I don't suppose you have any Audio Damage or Tone2 software you've tried with it?

Noiselab
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
That sounds good - I don't suppose you have any Audio Damage or Tone2 software you've tried with it?

All of the following work on my MacPro, OSX v10.6.8 w/ PT v10.3.2 so far!

Audio Damage:
- FuzzPlus2
- Rough Rider
- Vapor

I don't have any Tone2 VSTs, but my favorite Stillwell Audio VSTs also seem just fine.
- Bad Buss Mojo
- Bombardier Buss Comp
- Rocket Comp
- Transient Monster

Rather than going through a mass conversion and mucking things up on blind faith, I'm taking a more methodical approach and wrapping by mfg/brand and checking each one. Time consuming, yes, but I'm rediscovering some very cool VST plugs that I've forgotten about.

Hope that helps!

NL

remute
12-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Audio Damage:
- FuzzPlus2
- Rough Rider
- Vapor

I don't have any Tone2 VSTs, but my favorite Stillwell Audio VSTs also seem just fine.
- Bad Buss Mojo
- Bombardier Buss Comp
- Rocket Comp
- Transient Monster

Rather than going through a mass conversion and mucking things up on blind faith, I'm taking a more methodical approach and wrapping by mfg/brand and checking each one. Time consuming, yes, but I'm rediscovering some very cool VST plugs that I've forgotten about.

Hope that helps!

NL

It does indeed!
Touch wood the they've solved the whole unresponsive GUI thing that FXpansion let linger for so many years.

Gemylon
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I am sure AVID is behind this.

G

DigitalMetal
12-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Nebula is not happy with it, shame it was one i was praying would work well,
On the plus side TC Powercore is loving it ! :D

remute
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I am sure AVID is behind this.

G

I doubt there's anyone left working for Avid who would have either the foresight or coding chops to engineer this. :D

nst7
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, Avid somehow managed to make Sibelius compatible with Audio Units and VST.

remute
12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, Avid somehow managed to make Sibelius compatible with Audio Units and VST.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/12/4/sugar-bytes-transvst-removed-from-sale.html

"Sugar Bytes are outstanding developers who are bringing great-sounding plug-ins to market including AAX plug-ins. The Avid plug-in developer agreement that developers sign is for plug-ins that can be used with Pro Tools and other Avid products. Other types of products, like the wrapper, require our specific permission, as we granted in the case of FXpansion. We maintain this permission step in our efforts to ensure a quality experience on our audio platform and to carefully consider the effects of these exceptions on customers and developers. We appreciate Sugar Bytes"

Gemylon
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
So yes, AVID was behind this.

Its always money ...

G

remute
12-04-2012, 02:40 PM
So yes, AVID was behind this.

Its always money ...

G

It's amusing Avid talk of quality control when the FXpansion VST-RTAS forum has, for years, been full of people unable to make it work. :rolleyes:

psmworld
12-04-2012, 02:53 PM
what?! quality control?! avid, youīve made my purchase of this product obsolete. i didnīt download the pc-version and am stuck with the mac-version.

you robbed € 69,- from me

philip888
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

Sugar Bytes TransVST Removed From Sale

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/12/4/sugar-bytes-transvst-removed-from-sale.html

Actionmusic
12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
OK: rant mode on

Yes, i've spent the money on this too - that's a matter for myself, other users in the same position and Sugarbytes. As a 8 year owner and 10 year user of PT HD I spent my money without a second thought on this plug the minute it appeared, just as i did when VE Pro appeared. It fills a massive gap in PT usage - caused admittedly partially by 3rd party's lagging support for a new format, something we can't completely lay at Avid's door.

I say now - HDX for me as a working producer, working with audio multitrack , large sessions, pop mixes , overdubbing , wanting to add extra recent VI's, FX etc in a constantly evolving mix/production scenario is backward, compared to the rest of where the DAW world is. You can't do this without errors/overloads/VE PRO etc etc, i know as I (try) and do this every day.

The FXpansion wrapper is flawed on PT10 , with recent plugins - fact, buggy with older ones. RTAS is doomed - fact. For all of us going forward these are important factors. This Transvst plug gave me , for example, the option to run Sylenth or Diva without Vienna Pro, run wrapped Maschine jitter free in a PT session where the rtas plug fails, just call them up as you might Mini Grand and it works. Workflow heaven. Interesting audiosuite options that disappeared in PT7 were now back- pluggo type effects (plug go itself!), modern NI effects. There you go. Workflow back to what I remember 5 (!) years ago. Great - we get the best of both worlds, PT10's developing audio side which HAS got better and a look in at the world of VI's and effects that EVERY OTHER DAW enjoys!

I am soooooo fed up with Pro Tools this year, and Avid.

I'm not smug about having this "limited edition"plug - i presumably have no support going forward. It's just more frustrating to know this sort of thing is achiveable, in reach, but veto'ed.

My posts over the last 5 years are probably all about this stuff, it's a long term frustration and as of today, one that still persists.

Edited: I appreciate the bigger picture is this wrapper potentially could dissuade developers to go AAX, why bother if this wrapper does all the work? But i'm still annoyed this morning by it all!

cryophonik
12-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Audio Damage:
- FuzzPlus2
- Rough Rider
- Vapor

That's promising! I was about to sell my AD plugs, but I think I'll hold off until I can buy TransVST.

Ask the Developer Guy
12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Dear All,

I want to reply to this thread in order to reel in any confusion. Sugar Bytes are outstanding developers who are bringing fantastic plug-ins to market including new AAX plug-ins. The Avid plug-in developer agreement that developers sign is for plug-ins that can be used with Pro Tools and other Avid products. Other types of products, like the wrapper, require our specific permission, as we granted in the case of FXpansion. We maintain this permission step in our efforts to ensure a quality experience on our audio platform, to provide high security from piracy and the use of cracked plug-ins, and to carefully consider the effects of these exceptions on customers and developers. We appreciate Sugar Bytes cooperation and will discuss this matter with them quickly.

TOM@METRO
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
With the loss of so many Plug-ins as we move to AAX, we really need all the help we can get. This wrapper is seriously needed, as well as something to allow old DPM plug-ins to run in the upcoming "all AAX" systems. Vocalign is a critical example.

psmworld
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
one might dream about a tdm to aax-dsp wrapper...

@tention
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Someone at AVID managed to organize a nice [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] storm for the company....

How far does the stock price need to fall for them to realize that you cannot win aginst your users?

Ollie

Emcha_audio
12-05-2012, 01:42 AM
It's amusing Avid talk of quality control when the FXpansion VST-RTAS forum has, for years, been full of people unable to make it work. :rolleyes:

Exactly, maybe this time they want a better control over it to make sure that people who buys it hoping to have it work with pro tools will not get disappointed, thinking they got robbed, or anything else. I don't think the product is dead, just needs to go through the proper channels first, once that's done we should see it back again.

manik
12-05-2012, 05:49 AM
I believe the existence of VST-AAX wrapper like Sugar Bytes is good even for Pro Tools market to enlarged. So I believe it is not those Avid is interfering Sugar Bytes's business. I believe Sugar Bytes will working to obtain a permit for develop and release wrapper products like FXpansion. Once new agreement was made, Sugar Bytes will restart to sell TransVST likely by this year end.

mlemos
12-05-2012, 06:14 AM
i'm curious to see if the price goes up from $89 if/when transVST is re-released.

i'm also wondering if fxpansion has anything to do with stopping the release of transVST.

TCM
12-05-2012, 07:17 AM
i'm curious to see if the price goes up from $89 if/when transVST is re-released.

i'm also wondering if fxpansion has anything to do with stopping the release of transVST.

Speculation at this point, but there may be a likelihood that they got an exclusive deal with Avid. I hope not. I appreciate some competition and would like Sugarbytes to be allowed to sell their wrapper. Seems to be solid from what I read.

The FXpansion wrapper works still in 10 with hiccups and definitely not smoothly, but it still works. But the truth is that they definitely haven't put any work in there in recent years.

So, please Avid, allow Sugarbytes to sell their wrapper!

mlemos
12-05-2012, 08:28 AM
it seems odd to begin with that sugarbytes would not only develope but release an AAX wrapper with avid having no knowledge of it.

makes it seem as if there's not much communication between avid and their plugin partners.

i can sure use transVST so i hope it works out. should have just purchased it the one day that it was available but oh well.

remute
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
it seems odd to begin with that sugarbytes would not only develope but release an AAX wrapper with avid having no knowledge of it.

makes it seem as if there's not much communication between avid and their plugin partners.

i can sure use transVST so i hope it works out. should have just purchased it the one day that it was available but oh well.

There's not much communication between Avid and their customers either.

ronwasserman
12-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Dear All,

I want to reply to this thread in order to reel in any confusion. Sugar Bytes are outstanding developers who are bringing fantastic plug-ins to market including new AAX plug-ins. The Avid plug-in developer agreement that developers sign is for plug-ins that can be used with Pro Tools and other Avid products. Other types of products, like the wrapper, require our specific permission, as we granted in the case of FXpansion. We maintain this permission step in our efforts to ensure a quality experience on our audio platform, to provide high security from piracy and the use of cracked plug-ins, and to carefully consider the effects of these exceptions on customers and developers. We appreciate Sugar Bytes cooperation and will discuss this matter with them quickly.

Now why don't you also chime in on this 27 page bug thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328101

I understand you're protecting Avid's rights so I'm not criticizing that.

musicman691
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Dear All,

Quality experience and the FXpansion wrapper? That's like saying you get quality when you buy Behringer equipment. If Avid wanted a quality experience for their end users then you'd get in touch with developers that put out buggy plugins under you sanction. I guess SugarBytes didn't pay enough of a tribute to Avid.:mad::(

remute
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Quality experience and the FXpansion wrapper? That's like saying you get quality when you buy Behringer equipment. If Avid wanted a quality experience for their end users then you'd get in touch with developers that put out buggy plugins under you sanction. I guess SugarBytes didn't pay enough of a tribute to Avid.:mad::(

It makes you wonder - they must be aware and therefore approve of just how bad the wrapper is/has been allowed to become (no VST 2.4, no updates for 6 yrs, the list of unusable VSTs is shocking)

and yet disallow Sugar Bytes releasing their wrapper on the grounds of "quality control".

I suppose it shows, an Avid rep appearing here and cut'n'pasting the already-posted official response and ignoring all other conversation.

Emcha_audio
12-05-2012, 11:30 AM

I think they might have learned from what happened with fxpansion and might be trying to make it right this time. At least it's my hope.

PatriotsBiker
12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Just another fall-out from being part of (or not part of) the master plan that is under tight guard, all while making it impossible for you professional types to do any sort of long or short range production asset planning.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

musicman691
12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I think they might have learned from what happened with fxpansion and might be trying to make it right this time. At least it's my hope.
One can hope that's all this is.

groundcontrol
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Just another fall-out from being part of (or not part of) the master plan that is under tight guard, all while making it impossible for you professional types to do any sort of long or short range production asset planning.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

You're reading it right methink... :(

SOUNDDECISION
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
i didnīt download the pc-version and am stuck with the mac-version.

you robbed € 69,- from me

I think if you bought it you can still download it....

psmworld
12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
nope, it got deleted from the user-account.

Craig F
12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
ask for a refund

airon
12-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Better resolve this quick.

Better that Avid suffers slightly to the benefit of its users and future platform viability ("look ma, I can use stable VST plugins instead of RTAS bulcrap!"),

than the other way around.

We'll see where their priorities lie. Should the outcome be negative it'll cost them, a lot.

lae777
12-06-2012, 05:47 AM
For those who find the fxpansion wrapper generally unusable, I have a workaround of sorts which I find rock solid.
I have bought an "early bird" license for Plogue Bidule which unlike the free standalone version gives you a vst plugin of Bidule as well.
Bidule is among many other things a vst and au plug in host.
I wrap the Bidule vst plug with the fxpansion wrapper and use it in Pro Tools to host any vst and au plugs I want.
The wrapper conversion of Bidule is absolutely stable for me.
I literally can't remember the last time I had problems with it and I use it all the time.
I have had issues with other wrapped vst's however.
Bidule vst is the only wrapped vst that I need now.
I use PT 10.3.2 on a Woodcrest Mac pro running OS 10.7.4 with CPTK.

spenner
12-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Exactly, maybe this time they want a better control over it to make sure that people who buys it hoping to have it work with pro tools will not get disappointed, thinking they got robbed, or anything else. I don't think the product is dead, just needs to go through the proper channels first, once that's done we should see it back again.

Why would Sugarbytes release this without having everything set with Avid first? If the communication is bad then that is even more reason to wait, no? Maybe they forced Avid to the table with the release, or thought that had everything set to go. Who knows. Manny, your assessment make sense to me.

remute
12-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Rumour circulating that FXpansion AAX wrapper is bundled with PT11
That would explain a lot

Angus from FXpansion has just denied this over in their forum:

"That rumour is false, unless Avid knows something we don't."

SOUNDDECISION
12-06-2012, 06:25 AM
nope, it got deleted from the user-account.

Odd....my downloads are still available....:-/

Jay_uk
12-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Angus from FXpansion has just denied this over in their forum:

"That rumour is false, unless Avid knows something we don't."

Okay.
I deleted my post

remute
12-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Okay.
I deleted my post

What was interesting to me is he didn't say anything at all about future updates whatsoever or make any comment on Sugar Bytes - you'd think it'd be the perfect time to head off people rushing to get the new wrapper by making some commitment to when VST-RTAS will be updated.

Nada, nothing.

Angus_FX
12-06-2012, 06:46 AM
We have always partially supported 2.4. As discussed many times, the reason support has never been 100% is that on OS X only, Steinberg made specific changes to VST plug-ins' windowing model between v2.3/v2.4 that rendered pure 2.4-only plug-ins incompatible with Pro Tools' windowing/event model. There was simply no way around that. We have made guidelines available to developers who want to work around it - it's pretty straightforward for any coder who knows one end of a Mac from the other. Most developers who needed to make those adjustments have been able to do so; some do not. In Audio Damage's case, they had it up & running but decided they didn't want to be on the hook for supporting a platform they don't support. Tone2 refused to make the changes, I don't really want to speculate as to why, other than to say that we pointed them in the right direction and they outright refused.

Angus_FX
12-06-2012, 06:49 AM
re-mute, why would we put time & effort in to updating VST-RTAS since it's been clear since AAX was first announced that RTAS as a format has a rather limited shelf life at this point in time. If we were to update the wrapper, it would make sense to go straight to AAX.. the fact that we haven't yet done so should tell you something.

remute
12-06-2012, 06:52 AM
re-mute, why would we put time & effort in to updating VST-RTAS since it's been clear since AAX was first announced that RTAS as a format has a rather limited shelf life at this point in time. If we were to update the wrapper, it would make sense to go straight to AAX.. the fact that we haven't yet done so should tell you something.

Let's hope Sugar Bytes have spent more time making the wrapper work and less time, like FXpansion, blaming everyone else and doing nothing but leave the customer with a white elephant.

mlemos
12-06-2012, 06:55 AM
I don't know where this thread is headed but I wanted to chime in and say that as a very longtime fxpansion customer, angus and staff are good people.

I can't imagine that angus has an agenda one way or the other.
Either fxpansion has an agreement with avid to exclusively handle wrappers or they don't.

Jay_uk
12-06-2012, 07:02 AM

To fair Angus.
I dont recall the wrapper getting much attention even prior to the AAX announcement

Angus_FX
12-06-2012, 07:18 AM
I think it's common knowledge that the standard RTAS developer kit did not permit any kind of wrapping / format conversion of anything (VSTs weren't singled out for special treatment there). We had to get an exemption, as did others whose plug-ins directly or indirectly enable conversion. It wasn't on an exclusive basis, hence the existence of things like Kore and VE Pro.

remute, I've explained the situation several times to you, and I'm not sure what else you'd have us do. Steinberg were at best inconsiderate to change the windowing format without checking what other DAWs were doing OR checking what Apple's future plans for the windowing system actually were (their "future-proof" 2.4 system became obsolete with the jump to 64-bit, just as the 2.3 system did). We've helped every VST developer that was willing to be helped.. some just aren't. If it was a case of a couple of days of hacking to make the wrapper translate between one world and the other, believe me I'd have done it.

Jay - the wrapper was due for an update at the time we became aware of the existence of AAX.

TCM
12-06-2012, 07:19 AM
If we were to update the wrapper, it would make sense to go straight to AAX.. the fact that we haven't yet done so should tell you something.

!!!:eek:!!!

remute
12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
re-mute, why would we put time & effort in to updating VST-RTAS...

Because you have customers, Angus - remember those, the annoying ones who are always wrong?

And they're pissed off that you release new software and update old software but have left this product for *6 years* with no update to proper 2.4 support and no acknowledgement to the large number of users in your own forum who are struggling with it that *any* of their problems originate with FXpansion.

EDIT. *sigh*. Again, it's Steinberg, Apple, Tone2, AD, everyone else.
Same old, same old.

Jay_uk
12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Jay - the wrapper was due for an update at the time we became aware of the existence of AAX.

The way it stands at moment, using the wrapper on LION
I open the wrapper and there is nothing displayed, even though the plug ins are wrapped.
To add a single plug in, i have to use the Detect and wrap VST plug insĻtab
I then have to go thru the process of wrapping all vst plug ins again.
Prior to this, when i opened the wrapper it displayed your list and i could just choose Detect new plug ins under the Tools tab and it would simply detect the new plug in

lae777
12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm using the wrapper in Lion and PT10 with no real problems.
As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I generally now use only one wrapped vst via vst2rtas and it works perfectly!
For me vst2rtas was a great buy (about 5 or 6 years now).
I think it still works amazingly well.
Angus' explanations seem very reasonable to me as a customer of Fxpansion.

remute
12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
The way it stands at moment, using the wrapper on LION
I open the wrapper and there is nothing displayed, even though the plug ins are wrapped.
To add a single plug in, i have to use the Detect and wrap VST plug insĻtab
I then have to go thru the process of wrapping all vst plug ins again.
Prior to this, when i opened the wrapper it displayed your list and i could just choose Detect new plug ins under the Tools tab and it would simply detect the new plug in

There's a thread near the top of the forum full of peeps with problems with Lion, you might get some help/explanations there:
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=fee6f76e159ddcd8b4f5190b8e2aa12f

TOM@METRO
12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
At this point, it may just be that a VST wrapper does not serve the best interest of Avid nor (to some extent) the users. I wonder how many developers might just say never mind the AAX recoding; AAX customers can just use the wrapper. There are major players that have not yet even given us AAX native.

psmworld
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
no, native and dsp-aax versions are most preferrable. wrapped plugs often got glitchy guiīs and some misbehaviour with automation,...

avid or fxpansion just have to do a better wrapper, thatīs it for any competitor

spenner
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
At this point, it may just be that a VST wrapper does not serve the best interest of Avid nor (to some extent) the users. I wonder how many developers might just say never mind the AAX recoding; AAX customers can just use the wrapper. There are major players that have not yet even given us AAX native.

Interesting. Does it explain this (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1986746&postcount=66)?

avid or fxpansion just have to do a better wrapper, thatīs it for any competitor

If that happens, then Tom's post is even more valid, no?

psmworld
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
hm, you mean his quote of fxpansion?

why should avid care if transvst exists, when avid is doing a wrapper or PT11 auto-wrap that is better/easier/whatever.

iīd always prefer the avid-version if itīs not buggy.

transvst just fills the gap for me till something comes out.

groundcontrol
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
There would be logic to Avid putting the breaks to any oblique projects until AAX (especially of the dsp variety) gets fully established.

This would not be the first time where business imperatives would trample clients/users immediate benefits.

spenner
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
transvst just fills the gap for me till something comes out..

If it turns out to fill that gap very well then that could be a gamble in the current AAX climate when many plugins are yet to be released, or even show signs of being released. If any company, right now, makes a wrapper that is solid and not buggy then you think that bodes well for those on the fence or dragging feet with developing AAX?

I'm not attacking TransVST or saying it is not good or needed. But perhaps Tom has a point, which could explain why TransVST was pulled and why Fxpansion has not updated to AAX. Just a thought.

remute
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
If it turns out to fill that gap very well then that could be a gamble in the current AAX climate when many plugins are yet to be released, or even show signs of being released. If any company, right now, makes a wrapper that is solid and not buggy then you think that bodes well for those on the fence or dragging feet with developing AAX?

I'm not attacking TransVST or saying it is not good or needed. But perhaps Tom has a point, which could explain why TransVST was pulled and why Fxpansion has not updated to AAX. Just a thought.

Whatever the reason, we can agree it's got sod all to do with "quality control" or what's best for the customer though.

Jay_uk
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
There's a thread near the top of the forum full of peeps with problems with Lion, you might get some help/explanations there:
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=fee6f76e159ddcd8b4f5190b8e2aa12f

Thanks for taking the time to post remute.
I will check it out.

Emcha_audio
12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Why would Sugarbytes release this without having everything set with Avid first? If the communication is bad then that is even more reason to wait, no? Maybe they forced Avid to the table with the release, or thought that had everything set to go. Who knows. Manny, your assessment make sense to me.

Hey spenner sorry didn't see that post till now. They have a "license" to make plugins for Avid, maybe they thought that also included making a wrapper as it's kind of a plugin. Once they actually got word that it wasn't part of the same license, they moved to correct their mistake. That's one possibility, there could be many other reasons that we will probably never know.

Shan
12-06-2012, 07:39 PM

This might very well be the internal thinking at Avid, but this type of developer already made that decision long ago and said never mind, unfortunately. This same thinking can be concluded with the current RTAS to VST wrapper. I talked with more than one developer who have said they're just going to wait for the AAX wrapper and not bother to port. These are the ones that had dismal sales with RTAS. The popular plug-ins will more than likely still port over, the ones with minimal sales probably wont bother. The one's who think there is still a future with DSP will port over to AAX DSP. In my opinion, I doubt an AAX wrapper available today will change these developer decisions that have already been made.

When Avid does give the ok, it'll be good to have a choice between different types of wrappers from other developers with different design ideas, features and a new take on wrapping plug-ins. Dave Lebolt back in the digidesign days made mention that there were more wrappers coming out. It was in one of his "Dave's Dirt" columns (http://www2.digidesign.com/digizine/archive/digizine_july04/daves_dirt/) in digizine. That very article had me excited for years, until I finally gave up waiting. :eek: I always wondered why that never happened.

Shane

manik
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM

At present time when 1 year elapsed after PT10 release, I understand that there is no worth to update VST2RTAS because RTAS format is about to be obsolete, and it makes sense to think AAX.

But the quality issue of VST2RTAS was already generated when PT9 was released. At least I could never successfuly operate the wrapper since PT9 on both Windows and OSX. There were so many VSTs that could be wrapped and run with PTLE8 without problems, but most of them had become unusable once after updating to PT9. This means FXpansion had not done anything for at least 1 year about the wrapper product even though so many people were complaing the conpatibility issue with new PT9.

quintheskimo
12-07-2012, 01:38 AM
hm, you mean his quote of fxpansion?

why should avid care if transvst exists, when avid is doing a wrapper or PT11 auto-wrap that is better/easier/whatever.

iīd always prefer the avid-version if itīs not buggy.

transvst just fills the gap for me till something comes out.

But...

When has Avid ever put out something that wasn't buggy?

:o

(Yup, I went there).

Reading that official clarification insisting the wrapper was pulled from the market for quality assurance purposes gave me the idiot shivers. No offense to the messenger whatsoever, but I find the argument absurd. If PT was rock solid, I may feel differently. But, its not. Its buggy.
Clearly, a plan was foiled.
I empathize, I do, but I still want the wrapper.

:mad

musicman691
12-07-2012, 03:42 AM
What this debacle reminds me of is when decades back a company was putting out clones of the Apple II computer until Apple themselves put a stop to it. Who knows what innovation and the market would have been like if Apple had given a go ahead to this company?

Jay_uk
12-07-2012, 05:16 AM
At present time when 1 year elapsed after PT10 release, I understand that there is no worth to update VST2RTAS because RTAS format is about to be obsolete, and it makes sense to think AAX.

But the quality issue of VST2RTAS was already generated when PT9 was released. At least I could never successfully operate the wrapper since PT9 on both Windows and OSX. There were so many VSTs that could be wrapped and run with PTLE8 without problems, but most of them had become unusable once after updating to PT9. This means FXpansion had not done anything for at least 1 year about the wrapper product even though so many people were complaining the compatibility issue with new PT9.

Exactly my point.

To say that the vst-rtas wrapper was scheduled for an update, just at the point when AAX was announced and was therefore postponed is insulting, to be frank.
There is this whole period since AAX announcement that we could have had a useable product. Its not like rtas went away....its still here.

rockridge
12-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Its not like rtas went away....its still here.

Can you imagine the excitement if a wrapper for TDM/RTAS/VST2/VST3 came included with PT 11!

I just can't see how it would be anything but a win-win!

But, I guess that new 64bit chorus plug would also do the trick:rolleyes:

manik
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Can you imagine the excitement if a wrapper for TDM/RTAS/VST2/VST3 came included with PT 11!

It would be better if such wrapper are included in PT11. But I think PT11 will come as a 64bit-only product, so it is hard to think old 32bit VSTs and RTAS can be wrapped unless a tricky bridge or something like that is employed.

As like TransVST's screen capture says, existing 32bit plug-ins (old VSTs and RTAS) will not be able to wrap for use with 64bit PT.

rockridge
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Even if an Avid wrapper wasn't that efficient, it would be nice just to have older sessions come over in tact.

By the way, TransVST is both 32bit and 64bit.

LiquidSonics
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
One of AAX's selling point to developers has been a potential reduction in piracy on account that a hacked plugin will not load in PT because it's developer assigned binary signature will fail. This assumes PT isn't cracked to remove that check, and that the signing mechanism isn't forged either; probably both are a better assumption than developers being able to fortify their plugins as well as PT can be fortified (because checks can be hidden more easily and not all devs want iLok involved), but this isn't an area for that kind of piracy/security debate - you probably get my point. If a signed VST-AAX plugin can simply load unsigned VSTs, this capability is lost. Avid may not want that, and devs who are paying Pace for the privilege to sign their AAX plugins probably don't either (it adds a piracy vector they didn't anticipate and nulls their investment in Pace's signing tools which was probably justified precisely to reduce piracy).

I suspect the banned wrapping technology will likely end up being licensed to developers on a case by case basis, this will make Sugar Bytes a wedge of cash, and will likely mean some plugins that otherwise would not have ended up being ported because the dev made a financial or time based decision not to do so for whatever reason will see light as an AAX. Having a developer intentionally license the tech means they are going to put effort into making it compatible with any quirks needed to wrap well, so hopefully this will help alleviate some of the bad feeling amongst some VST-RTAS wrapper users when x or y won't work properly and the dev doesn't want to put effort into making it work for whatever reason. It's a shame abandon-ware can't now be resurrected as it could with a wrapper, but it's a better place to be than before we leant about TransVST in the first place, it's just a shame it's not quite what it appeared initially.

rockridge
12-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Interesting... thanks for the info Matt.
You've stated reasons why a developer would be attracted to AAX, but what about the users investments?

I'm still inclined to believe that TransVST will be released... eventually.
And it will be to everyone's benefit.

LiquidSonics
12-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Interesting... thanks for the info Matt.
You've stated reasons why a developer would be attracted to AAX, but what about the users investments?I assume you refer to the user's investments in VST plugins that they intended to use in the PT environment which we may find can't be used in an AAX only version of PT. I recognise the issue here, yeah that kinda blows, so I agree it would be good to see the wrapper released. I hope for their sake it works without a hitch!

Tobias Eichelberg
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to bring this discussion up again. As soon as Pro Tools 11 comes, a VST-AAX wrapper will be needed for a bunch of virtual instruments that have never been RTAS.

I hope AVID will re-think their decision regarding this.

DigitalMetal
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I seriously don't think we'll be seeing that one again, you are better to just go with a host that's available, either nomad factory magma, native instruments maschine or by using reaper through rewire

sedge
07-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Just wanted to bring this discussion up again. As soon as Pro Tools 11 comes, a VST-AAX wrapper will be needed for a bunch of virtual instruments that have never been RTAS.

I hope AVID will re-think their decision regarding this.

Nine weeks later, and two weeks after the PT11 product launch, I cannot help but reiterate this post. And I say this as a long time loyal customer and user of ProTools.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367121

Why did this come about? Is it really building a better business model for AVID?

remute
07-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Nine weeks later, and two weeks after the PT11 product launch, I cannot help but reiterate this post. And I say this as a long time loyal customer and user of ProTools.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367121

Why did this come about? Is it really building a better business model for AVID?

It's not going to happen - the post-audio guys that Avid's now wholely focussed on don't care it you can't use Tone2 or Audio Damage plugs in PT11 therefore neither do Avid.

Cough up $300 for VEPro or piss about with Reaper for a more "authentic user experience" as Avid put it when announcing why they arbitralily rejected the wrapper. :rolleyes:

DetroitT
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com
7 ways to host VST in PT's 11

wmcintyre
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com
7 ways to host VST in PT's 11

That cannot be correct ...it's PT11 and Earlier they mean, there is no way to wrap a plugin in PT11 only via something like Vienna pro will work

sedge
07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
This way works fine. I've been using it since the day PT11 was released.
It bridges 32 bit AU's and VST's and VST2 and VST3 and 64 bit AU's and VST's as well:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/9/1/one-you-may-have-missed-how-to-rewire-reaper-into-pro-tools.html?fb_action_ids=10151506085371404&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582 :-)

Keithp
08-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Anyone get this file before it got pulled from the site? Link?

Simon Morrison
08-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Anyone get this file before it got pulled from the site? Link?

TransVST has been superseded by Blue Cat's MB-7 and PatchWork, and DDMF's Metaplugin.

psmworld
08-15-2014, 09:28 AM
i bought transvst and sell it now

bluecat and ddmf aren't wrappers but a host in a host. i dont like that i cant see which plugin is used on the insert.

zion
08-18-2014, 07:11 AM
TransVST has been superseded by Blue Cat's MB-7 and PatchWork, and DDMF's Metaplugin.

I wouldn't say superseded more like driving on the Highway and coming to a detour and your GPS gives you another route to the same destination. It's just takes longer to get there. Avid being the detour. I can understand there decision to do so but after all the dust settles and Avid makes all there profit on the AAX platform I hope they will allow a VST to AAX2 wrapper in the future. It would be great to use the plugins that will never will be AAX2. I think having given TransVst more development along with Avid's help they would have made a stable product. Avid could develop something like this themselves, that way they can assure its stability and profit. They could add it as apart of the next and greatest Pro Tools version. Can you Imagine how many people would go for that? :-) For those who can think of a thousand reason why this would be impossible, I can guarantee you that there is someone out there that can think of a thousand ways it can be done. Come on this is the age of the software programmers dream! They are finding all kind way to do things. If you can imagine it, (most things) it can be done.

Bill Denton
08-18-2014, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't say superseded more like driving on the Highway and coming to a detour and your GPS gives you another route to the same destination. It's just takes longer to get there. Avid being the detour. I can understand there decision to do so but after all the dust settles and Avid makes all there profit on the AAX platform I hope they will allow a VST to AAX2 wrapper in the future. It would be great to use the plugins that will never will be AAX2. I think having given TransVst more development along with Avid's help they would have made a stable product. Avid could develop something like this themselves, that way they can assure its stability and profit. They could add it as apart of the next and greatest Pro Tools version. Can you Imagine how many people would go for that? :-) For those who can think of a thousand reason why this would be impossible, I can guarantee you that there is someone out there that can think of a thousand ways it can be done. Come on this is the age of the software programmers dream! They are finding all kind way to do things. If you can imagine it, (most things) it can be done.

Since the post guys don't need it, it probably ain't gonna happen...that's just the reality...

Actionmusic
08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
As someone who bought TransVST the moment it appeared I can assure you Blue Cat Patchwork is far more useful as Simon says. The new update with AU and Midi patching within the plug means you can do some great sequencing/creative patching - running VST arpeggiators, Thesys etc triggering softsynths, all playable from a standard instrument track in PT. And seems pretty stable

Transvst's only advantage was the plug appeared individually in the menu, but most of the plugs I used at the time slowly appeared as AAX. Plus it was pretty buggy to be honest. Love sugar bytes so don't really regret the 80 euros or whatever it was.

Metaplugin is cool as well, but latest Patchwork working best for my methods

Keithp
09-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I am not getting either the meta or the blue cat to load my old waves plugins in an aax wrap. Any thoughts?

DigitalMetal
09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
update your waves wup

Sardi
09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I am not getting either the meta or the blue cat to load my old waves plugins in an aax wrap. Any thoughts?

Are they 64bit versions of Waves plugins? If not, that's your problem.

My Waves plugs are hosted fine within Patchwork & MB7.

Southsidemusic
09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
All Waves plugins are AAX64 bit so you don't need any wrapper/host so why do you not have the updated versions?

Christopher

Sardi
09-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Perhaps he can't justify the cost of WUP or maybe he wants to use Patchwork to chain plugins together.

There could be many reasons.

petervanstraten
11-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I tried almost everything in P Tools 11
Patchwork only sees my vst 3 waves as a bundle
FX expansion same story..
Only plogue Bidule sees the waves plugins but I have not been able to get it to work yet

mesaone
11-04-2014, 04:11 PM
I tried almost everything in P Tools 11

Try updating to Waves v9.2, then you'll have all your plugs in AAX format. No wrapper or VST host needed.

FXPansion wrapper only works for wrapping 32 bit VST to RTAS, and even then it's very buggy. It won't work at all with PT11.

petervanstraten
11-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Ok I will try the update !