PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Advice on System Upgrade & General

krisd
07-21-2012, 03:02 PM
THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME!

Hello- New to Pro Tools (I am going to familiarize myself with it- but would rather use a different system), but I have experience running other programs. I just got an MBox Mini and have PT Express installed. My computer specs are at the bottom. I will spend the next few days tweaking my laptop, but as of now things are not working properly.

I should say that, I'm not looking for this to be my main setup, though I do need a working portable setup (mainly for getting ideas down, etc.)

A few problems I've had out of the box are:

1). Computer won't start while MBox is connected. I have to plug it in at startup.

2). A channel will start distorting the signal after a minute or so. Any ideas?

3). Looking for any advice on upgrades to my laptop. I'm sure I will get more RAM, but other than that....any advice?

4). I keep hearing about the "notebook compatibility chart. Forgive me for not finding it, but any help on it's location will be appreciated.

5). Any recommendations on a good plug in for dirty organ sounds or a gritty reverb plugin are also appreciated.
-------------
my computer:
toshiba
model: satellite a665
processor: intel (R) core (TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27 GHz 2.27 GHz
installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)
system type: Windows 7 64-bit OS

up to date: standard driver: ST9500420AS version 6.1.7600.16385
up to date: graphics intel (R) HD Graphics version 8.15.10.2119
up to date: Intel 5 Series 4 port SATA AHCI controller version 9.5.7.1002
up to date: Processors 4 x intel core i3 cpu m350 @ 2.27 GHz
up to date: Chipset...Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1- 3B42,44,46,48,4A
Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller- 3B30

kyluigi
08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Im running pro tools 8.05 le and a few weeks ago had the problem you were having with audio distorting! I think the fix was to trash the preferences. Which you can find out how to do on this forum, another user made a preference trasher utility called trasher. Try google though if all else fails!

Regarding Pro Tools not starting unless the mbox is connected, I know on with PT8 and before you had to connect digi/avid hardware to use pt. Then with pt 9 and 10, came and you use ilok so you don't have to connect hardware. Im not sure how pt express works but it may be similar to PT 8 le in that you have to connect hardware. Not sure though.

Also not sure if you get the stock organ (DB-33) plug in with PT Express but if you do, that will give you a great organ sound.