PDA

View Full Version : New Pro Tools Express for Mboxes

nst7
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
There's already an announcement from Avid about this, but it appears to be closed to comments, so that's why I posted here.

Avid has introduced Protools Express, which is a very light edition of protools (16 tracks, limited instruments) that is bundled with what formerly was the hardware only versions of the Mbox and Mbox Mini.

It looks like it's a way a at least giving something to the hardware only versions, and users will be able to upgrade to regular Protools at a special price.

So from what I can see on the main Mbox family page, it looks like the hardware only version of the Mbox Pro is discontinued (you can only get it bundled with the full Protools), and what were the hardware only versions of the Mbox and Mbox Mini, will now come with this new Express software.

Sounds like a cool idea. Perhaps Avid can clarify what's the deal with the Mbox Pro.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/Mbox?intcmp=AV-HP-S2

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=436171

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/mbox/compare

Obsidian Dragon
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I'd actually prefer if Avid kept it simple and had only Protools and Protools HD. There is enough confusion over Protools SE, Protools MP, the older Protools LE, and now Protools Express.

TOM@METRO
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
I know people that already own Pro Tools that bought the Mbox Pro as a backup interface. Odd to toss out that segment of the market.

Alfalfa
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Does it require an iLok dongle?

Max Gutnik
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Does it require an iLok dongle?

Pro Tools Express does require an iLok.

Max Gutnik
03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Perhaps Avid can clarify what's the deal with the Mbox Pro.

Mbox Pro will continue to be sold with Pro Tools 10.

nst7
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for clarifying, Max. Is there a particular reason for not selling the Mbox Pro hardware only anymore?

I'm just curious from a marketing point of view.

derFunkenstein
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I think it's kinda cool software to be honest. If I were to have to start over, an Mbox + PT Express + IEP is about all I'd need. I never come close to touching the full Pro Tools track limit. My biggest track right now is 11 audio tracks, 3 instrument tracks, and a couple other MIDI tracks feeding into those instruments. I'm sure at some point I'd have to get creative or bounce things down. I could see myself recommending an Mbox or an Mbox Mini to someone who's just getting started, too.

Max Gutnik
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Max. Is there a particular reason for not selling the Mbox Pro hardware only anymore?

I'm just curious from a marketing point of view.

Most people want it with Pro Tools software. It's only $200 more with Pro Tools 10 included, which is a substantial savings over buying the software outright.

TOM@METRO
03-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Then, if you already own Pro Tools and use it with a 3rd party interface: there will be no way to switch to an M-Box Pro without buying the software twice, correct?

Just looking for clarification on this.

SixChurchStreet
03-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Avid began clearing things up with the advent of PT9, just to blur it up all over again.

Sent via VM670

Max Gutnik
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Avid began clearing things up with the advent of PT9, just to blur it up all over again.

Sent via VM670

I disagree. I think Pro Tools Express will help clear things up. It's going to take a few months but things are heading in the right direction for sure.

necjamc
03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
A suggestion would be to put a comparison chart on the product page clearly identifying its limitations especially with 3rd party products. To avoid confusion later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Gutnik
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
A suggestion would be to put a comparison chart on the product page clearly identifying its limitations especially with 3rd party products. To avoid confusion later.

Good suggestion. There is a comparison chart here: http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

necjamc
03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
My bad :). That's what I was talking about.

Max Gutnik
03-22-2012, 02:05 PM
My bad :). That's what I was talking about.

Actually, our bad. Probably needs to be easier to find on the website.

chingobling
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I bought an MBOX mini and it came with protools express.

Everything works perfectly except it doesnt pullup the XPAND instrument in the channel tab. I was told it was because i need to download the instruments addon file off of my products on the AVID site.....

This is the file name
Avid Virtual Instruments Express installer (Mac)
but on protools site it says EXPIRED or sumthing

anybody know what i should do??