PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall 9 to install pt 10?

Blackers
10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi,it seems a little obvious but anyway here it goes,is it necessary to uninstale pt 9 to instale pt10 upgrade?I just bought pt9 then was eligeble to free upgrade to 10.
But i'm in doubt,after looking closer the pt 10 instaler.The read me don't clarify.
Any tips will be apreciated.:-)
Thanx

Ant B
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
yes - uninstall 9 (protools and hd driver) then install 10.

Blackers
10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I thank you.

Jenny_Amaya
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I am posting this story everywhere I can, to hopefully help those of you upgrading from PT9 to PT10 on a Windows machine. It took me all day and reading several hundred posts to get all of this information figured out - even then, I had a hiccup in the process...

For what it's worth, here is my PC/Windows 7 Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 10 upgrade experience...

First, I had Pro Tools 9 installed with CPTK2 and PTIEP. +Sibelius & third-party plug-ins, etc. Reading in the forums and online, I knew I had a lot to lose and a lot of frustration ahead of me if I did the wrong thing.

I read that I needed to just uninstall Pro Tools 9 from Control Panel. -- That is the advice you will find about clicking the top bubble choice and "just" uninstalling PT9 and nothing else...

Well, I will tell you right now, that method does NOT work. I have a feeling (although I did not test it) that those who are telling you to click the SECOND bubble (to uninstall PT9 + the HD driver) is probably the better advice; although I'm not even sure if that would work.

So I started by uninstalling PT9 by itself from Control Panel.
Then I launched the PT10 installer, and I got the message: "setup detected older version of Pro Tools Drivers installed. Please uninstall the old drivers and try again. Aborting installation now..." with an OK button that aborts installation.

OK. Great, right?

My next thought was to reinstall v9, then uninstall it with the second bubble in control panel, including the uninstall of the HD driver. I started that process; however, realized that as I went to reinstall v9, the installer ends up "uninstalling existing components" of version 9 for you anyway, before it re-installs all of version 9 again. It actually uninstalls everything, then has you do a restart before it reinstalls.

So I took a risk, I allowed it to uninstall the old/existing components (had no choice, really), and when my system restarted and it asked me to continue with the install, I cancelled out of the install. I figured, well, it already uninstalled everything for me, so I'm hopefully right where I want to be.

So then I ran the Pro Tools 10 installer again, and it ran just fine. Installed Pro Tools 10. Then I installed the Pro Tools 10 instruments - that went fine.

I knew there was an existing issue with Xpand2, so I launched a session I knew had Xpand2 in it, and of course it didn't work. I clicked on the Xpand2 insert on one of the tracks and got the grayed-out pop-up for locating the Xpand2.big file. Had to search online to find out where that thing is located. FYI, on a Windows system, it's located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\XPand2

So I punched that in, then my audio playback became severely distorted. I restarted Pro Tools and I had absolutely no audio through my interface at all, although I had levels showing. Closed PT again, pulled my interface, plugged my interface back in, relaunched PT again, and wallah -- I've got a fully functional Pro Tools 10 system, INCLUDING all of my plug-ins and everything else that was working in v9. (For those who are curious, this includes the full version of Structure, which I know is an issue for some people - it works just fine - I'm not dealing with the reinstallation of that like some people are.)

I've got 7 more of these MusicXPC machines that will eventually need updated from version 9 to 10, so I will TRY to come up with a flawless way of doing this, but I probably won't upgrade the other machines for a while.

Hopefully my experience on this one machine will be enough to help some people out.

I did not uninstall the Complete Production Toolkit 2 or anything else that you see in Control Panel (any of my Avid or Digidesign Plug-Ins, etc).

FYI, just so it's in one place (because it takes an all-day web search to find all of this information in one post), if you have the CPTK2 for version 9, all you have to do is install v10 and your authorization for CPTK2 v9 will run the components on v10. There is no "upgrade" or "update" for the CPTK2 when you are going from version 9 to 10.

Same with the Instrument Expansion Pack (if you have purchased and installed that with version 9) -- do not uninstall it. Just run the v10 installer. I read somewhere there are "updates" that install on some of those instrument plug-ins for v10, so you leave it installed and run v10 installer. There is no separate update or upgrade or authorization for IEP when you use PT10.

glennaudio
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
interesting. I just ran the installer for PT 10HD (Native) 2 days ago. I didn't bother un-installing 9 and just went ahead with the upgrade (trial). I cloned my system beforehand in case I screwed anything up but all seems to work fine. Is this because I'm on a mac or is there a recommendation to uninstall 9 on macs too before installing 10?

Jenny_Amaya
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Glenn - It is because you are on Mac. Windows systems aren't playing nice with 9 and 10 installed on the same machine.
~ Jenny

flautista
12-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Glenn - It is because you are on Mac. Windows systems aren't playing nice with 9 and 10 installed on the same machine.
~ Jenny
Not really like that i did on win7:
What I did uninstall PT 9 and HD driver
uspate pace drivers and ILOk drivers then reboot and install demo PT 10 reboot and after the Avid virtual instrument and and opening xpand readress to the avid folder,reboot,and :cool: