PDA

View Full Version : Should I use the "h/w insert delay" feature with Symphony io in USB Mode?

Blake Henderson
08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi folks.

I just received the Apogee Symphony io today and I am trying to get everything setup for use. I intend to purchase a TDM card later but for now I am using the unit's "USB mode". I am wondering if I should make use of the "h/w insert delay" feature found under the "I/O" menu in Pro Tools 9 HD. I plan to do alot of reamping and want to ensure that I am correcting for latency issues.

Strangely, it seems to me that hundreds of others have confusion related to this feature (and latency in general) so I am hoping that We can discuss it and find some clarity. Can anyone chime in here?!

Thanks.

Blake

K Roche
08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree about the confusion at least I am still confused :confused:
A little different but in the same vain.
I have the HD native with an OMNI for the interphase. I thought I understood early on that if I connected an external hardware piece that I would have to go in an manually compensate for the delay of the roundtrip in the "hardware insert box" in the I/O . However once I set up the unit (a Bricasti M7) in this case before entering any value in the HW insert box. I noticed that with auto delay comp on and displayed in the session, that the track with the M7 on it already had delay value . ? I posted this in a thread some time back and asked Digi for an explanation but have yet to get one from Digi there were some answers but they were a bit vague to me at least/
Once again Digi Support can you please explane . Thanks Kevin

K Roche
09-01-2011, 06:21 AM
still no comment from digi ?

DigiTechSupt
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree about the confusion at least I am still confused :confused:
A little different but in the same vain.
I have the HD native with an OMNI for the interphase. I thought I understood early on that if I connected an external hardware piece that I would have to go in an manually compensate for the delay of the roundtrip in the "hardware insert box" in the I/O . However once I set up the unit (a Bricasti M7) in this case before entering any value in the HW insert box. I noticed that with auto delay comp on and displayed in the session, that the track with the M7 on it already had delay value . ? I posted this in a thread some time back and asked Digi for an explanation but have yet to get one from Digi there were some answers but they were a bit vague to me at least/
Once again Digi Support can you please explane . Thanks Kevin

The delay comp is for the Aux track - I'm assuming you're using an Aux track for the M7 hardware insert, yes?

K Roche
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
The delay comp is for the Aux track - I'm assuming you're using an Aux track for the M7 hardware insert, yes?

yes thats correct and thanks for the reply ,,, OK so are you saying that the delay number showing in that Aux track with the M7 on an insert. is the amount of delay that is being generated on that track and is being automatically compensated for ? Just so I am clear, this then would mean that ADC is in effect auto compensating for the the round trip from pt to the hardware and back to pt yes?

DigiTechSupt
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
You still have to calculate and use the H/W insert delay to compensate for the M7. The Dly value on the Aux track is just to compensate for the Aux itself - certain track types, becuase of how they function in the mixer, need to be compensated. It does *not* automatically compensate for HW insert delays.

K Roche
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
You still have to calculate and use the H/W insert delay to compensate for the M7. The Dly value on the Aux track is just to compensate for the Aux itself - certain track types, becuase of how they function in the mixer, need to be compensated. It does *not* automatically compensate for HW insert delays.

thank you that clears that up

Blake Henderson
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey Digi, could you please reply to my original question? I am the original thread poster and My inquiry involved the Apogee Symphony io. I am wondering if I should use the "H/W insert delay" feature when using the Apogee Symphony io as my front end. I am using PTHD and the symphony in USB mode. I am not using a PCI card, Digi or apogee.

thanks.

blake

K Roche
09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey Digi, could you please reply to my original question? I am the original thread poster and My inquiry involved the Apogee Symphony io. I am wondering if I should use the "H/W insert delay" feature when using the Apogee Symphony io as my front end. I am using PTHD and the symphony in USB mode. I am not using a PCI card, Digi or apogee.

thanks.

blake

Sorry bout hijacking your thread I personally don't know about use with USB