PDA

View Full Version : OMNI ADC and Hardware insert question

K Roche
03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
here is the situation
I am using the OMNI w/ PT HD9 native.

In the I/O for the sessions there is a tab for hardware insert delay and a table where ms's delay can be entered.
I am using a Bricasti M7 outboard reverb unit in my chain.
I have it connected digital via AES I have it as an insert on channels 4/5 for the OMNI

2 questions
#1 how does one determine MS of delay from samples (is there a formula) Casey from Bricasti states there is aprox 6 ms delay via digital. an d that's cool but I was wonder if anyone knew of a formula that works.

#2 question has to with Weather or not the ADC is already compensating for the Hardware insert ( which seem to be the case in the #2 screenshot). If so then it would seem unnecessary to also enter a ms number in the hardware insert delay tab of the I/O is this correct?
Example and screen shots

I have the Delay Compensation displayed at the bottom of the mix window and it is showing in screen shot #1 ( with no hardware inserted )- However on the tracks with the Digi Expander Gate for example - it shows 88 samples and they are in the amber color. The rest of tracks are in the green color and showing either 88 sample of compensation, or 0 for the aux tracks...
The session (set up box) is showing 95 samples of (system delay) so I am assuming that means 7 samples of internal, inherent delay Omni/software etc. or (95 minus 88 = 7)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/KevWind/1.png

Now in screen shot #2 ( with the M7 inserted - 4th track from the right)
the display shows the track with the M7 has 533 (in amber) the rest of the tracks are green some tracks show 88, some show 533 and some show 621 ( 533 + 88 = 621 ) and the session set up box shows System delay at 628 or (621+7 = 628)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/KevWind/2.png
So I am missing something because I would have thought this would mean that the system inherent delay ( before plugins etc.) is 7samples and that that PT is showing the M7 as 533 sample delay ?

carlone
03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Pro Tools has no way of knowing what you have connected as an insert so it's not compensating for it.

To determine the amount of delay you'd need to send a signal out of an output and patch that output back into an input and record it.
Then send the same signal out but this time through your external unit (your reverb).

Compare the 2 and whatever the difference is between the start times is the amount of delay.

K Roche
03-03-2011, 05:47 AM
To determine the amount of delay you'd need to send a signal out of an output and patch that output back into an input and record it.
Then send the same signal out but this time through your external unit (your reverb).

Compare the 2 and whatever the difference is between the start times is the amount of delay. OK thanks for tip on sending a signal. I assume then that you set your time meter to minutes and then can read out the ms .

"Pro Tools has no way of knowing what you have connected as an insert so it's not compensating for it".Yes That's exactly what I thought and was told on another forum And it sounds quite logical and reasonable. Unfortunately that does not explain why 533 samples shows up on the track with the insert and in system delay, while not being present in the session with the insert removed. ? Thus my question as to, if PT is not compensating, then why is the session delayed 533 samples longer when connected to the hardware insert, than it is when not connected ? this is Particularly curious because I have not yet entered any value in the hardware insert delay table.

K Roche
03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Anybody from AVID have an answer as to what might be going on ? Thanks, Kev

K Roche
03-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Please Delete Double post..