PDA

View Full Version : Using internal speakers on imac with PTSE

numbertenox
02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi,

With the popularity of the keystudio product, and it's sales through best buys (lots of Garage Band users), I would think this would be a pretty common question:

How do I use my internal speakers on my Mac with PTSE? I hope I'm missing something, but from what I can tell, I may have to buy a cable to go from the headphone jack on the adapter to the line in on my imac, then get some freeware package to play the line in on the speakers? That is pretty complicated compared to just plugging the keyboard into the mac and hearing sounds ala Garage Band.

So am I missing something? Is there an easier way? This is my first encounter with ProTools in any form. I kept looking in the SE menus for some option to redirect sound output to the internal speakers instead of the adapter included with my keystudio 49 keyboard...

I'm still going through the tutorial videos, so apologies if this is in there somwhere...

Cameron M
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Hello,

The audio from Pro Tools will only come out of the Micro. You can plug in headphones or speakers into the Micro.

Cameron

numbertenox
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks Cameron.

I have it working by wiring from the Micro to Line In, but additionally I had to use a 3rd party utility on Mac Snow Leopard to direct line in to the speakers. The sound preferences in Mac OS 10.6 alone did not have a way I could find to assign what was coming in on line in to the internal computer speakers.

I think if Pro Tools SE is going to compete at GarageBand level, which I'm not sure if that's it's intent or not since it is essentially just bundled and not sold separately, having to do those two extra steps is a minus.

I flipped back to GarageBand pretty quickly, even though the SE has some great sounding virtual instruments, once I realized that the 100+ instruments can't be expanded upon in SE. Doesn't look like it works with plugins. At another point, when I'm a bit more liquid ;-), I might take a look at M-Powered.