PDA

View Full Version : PT9 records a pop at the very end when bouncing to disk.

lancemcv
12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Upgraded to PT 9 and new Avid MBox Pro and I am getting pops recorded at the very end of my mix when bouncing to disk even though all the master fader goes to zero db at the end. PT 8 did not do this with the same session. I used to have an 002 rack space. Delay compensation is on set to short. Might try a bounce without it and see if it goes away. Overall the new system has been a bit buggy. This mix however is full of plugins and the sample rate is 88.2 with 48tracks so it is pushing the limits of what it can do. Sometimes the mbox looses connection to the Mac Pro and you can hear the audio output turning on and off. I have to reboot for it to reconnect properly. I think this bounce pop thing started before I got the mbox pro but had just updated to PT9 and thats when it began to happen.
I also have it set to convert after bounce and the pop happened with an mp3 44.1 bounced file and 88.2, 24bit aiff files.:confused:

Park Seward
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Does it happen on more than one session?

Have you tried selecting another selection to bounce? Maybe a little shorter or move the fade slightly.

Is there anything unusual on the fade?

crizdee
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Upgraded to PT 9 and new Avid MBox Pro and I am getting pops recorded at the very end of my mix when bouncing to disk even though all the master fader goes to zero db at the end. PT 8 did not do this with the same session. I used to have an 002 rack space. Delay compensation is on set to short. Might try a bounce without it and see if it goes away. Overall the new system has been a bit buggy. This mix however is full of plugins and the sample rate is 88.2 with 48tracks so it is pushing the limits of what it can do. Sometimes the mbox looses connection to the Mac Pro and you can hear the audio output turning on and off. I have to reboot for it to reconnect properly. I think this bounce pop thing started before I got the mbox pro but had just updated to PT9 and thats when it began to happen.
I also have it set to convert after bounce and the pop happened with an mp3 44.1 bounced file and 88.2, 24bit aiff files.:confused:

Hi,

48 mono tracks at 88.2k is equal to 96 tracks at 44.1/48k if you're using stereo tracks then it would be more still? Thats a lot of disk i/o. you could try distributing the disk usage across 2 drives.

Try making half the tracks inactive and do a test bounce and see if it changes!

This could also be caused by a plugin? often effects plugins! try as a test to make inactive effect return plugs and see if it changes anything.

Chris

lancemcv
12-31-2010, 05:00 PM
I have not had time to experiment yet but appreciate the ideas for a fix. This session has got a lot of stuff going on but again this did not happen in PT 8 with the same session but I the again I did not have some of the pluggins running in the mix yet.
So I will play around when I have a minute and report back.
Happy New Year!!

acelo
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm having this very same problem..on my HD2 Accel system it does not do it...but when I bounce to disk on my new native PT9 system I get the pop. It occurs when I've drawn a fade out on the master fader. Once the song fades out, I get a sudden pop. I try putting it before the dot & after the dot, and still no change.

LSNY
01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
I remember having that issue.
As I recall, in my case, I heard the pop if I was listening while the bounce was taking place.
But when I opened the aiff file that was created by the bounce in itunes, and listened that way, there was no pop on the actual file.
Anyone else have this experience?

chroma17
01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I remember having that issue.
As I recall, in my case, I heard the pop if I was listening while the bounce was taking place.
But when I opened the aiff file that was created by the bounce in itunes, and listened that way, there was no pop on the actual file.
Anyone else have this experience?

If you are only hearing the pop at the end of the bounce, the pop is from the volume jumping from 0dB at the end of the fadeout back up to the full volume at the start of the session. Also if you have a reverb or delay effect which would be carrying on past your fade out, you will suddenly hear the end of that reverb as the volume will jump back up to full once the bounce is finished.
Now if the click is printing with the bounce (ie you can hear it when playing back the bounce in another program, or see it in an audio editing program), then there is another problem. Perhaps your fade jumps back from 0 to full volume right before your bounce ends? Or perhaps it is a plug in incompatibility as mentioned earlier.

lancemcv
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
My guess although i have not gone back to the mix is it is a plugin problem.
The pop at the end does print to the bounced aiff as well as a bounced mp3. My master fader goes to zero and stays there way passed the bounced selection. I have 4 auto tunes, altiverb, Battery and about 10 CLA CL2A compressors running which buy they way add a ton of hiss to the overall mix when all the faders are up which I find a bit odd, perhaps they are the culprit or it could be the auto tune which has huge latency and the session can't handle the longer setting for delay compensation so I have it set to short and therefor that does not effect the auto tune tracks. I am working on another tune today that has far less stuff on it and I will bounce one and see what happens.
I will experiment and bypass some plugins and then bounce the end of the file to see if the pop is still there when I get a chance and report back.
Thanks for the replies and sorry I did not get back sooner but have been out of town for a bit.

chroma17
01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
The hiss in the CL2A plug ins is from "analog modeling"-most Waves emulation plug ins have this, and you can disable it by switching the "analog" setting to Off.

SessionKat
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Is your bounce audio region selection-based? IF so, it "autofade" pref on?

maxon
01-09-2011, 03:22 AM
offline bounce can solve this

lancemcv
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I did bounce a different session and did not have a pop at the end and
yes the bounce is selection based. Auto fade pref set to on??
hmm never heard of that one so I will check that out. Always learning something new after so many years of using PT.
And Chroma17 thanks I kinda thought the hiss was an analog emulation but did not know you can turn it off, naive of me I know. You can't really hear it in the track but if the transport is stopped wow it's loud because I'm using twelve or more of them.

This big session really struggles to play back with the new mbox pro compared to my 002 and I was running PT 8 then upgraded to PT9 and usedPT9 with the 002 for about a week before I got the new mbox pro and sold the 002.
Should the mbox pro be able to power up on it's own when connected to a mac pro via firewire 400 without the power supply?
I thought the new mbox pro was able to be bus powered but no matter what I do it does not power up from the mac pro unless I use the power supply. I recently installed a new ATI 4870 so now I have two video cards in my mac pro to run 3 monitors and the cards may be sucking up a bit too much power from the firewire bus but thats just a theory they are rated within the limits of the mac pros power supply. I may pull one and see if that makes a diff.
I read it only receives power with 6 pin FW400 ports which I believe the mac pros are.
Any way I know I have really strayed from the topic. I will report back after I tinker around some today.
Really appreciate the feedback and answers.
Thanks

Doug Ring
01-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Two things to maybe try:

Play the session and try to stop playback immediately the master fader hits zero (or make a selection that stops there and play the selection). Do you still hear a click? If so you've got an artefact from a plug-in inserted on the master fader. Try to work out what plug-in setting might cause the click.

Or, make sure your master fader automation graph stays at zero for several seconds beyong the end of the mix then extend the bounce selection a second or two. You'll add some time to the end of the bounced file (no bad thing necessarily) but probably lose the click.

zeeman
01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
I get this all the time. easy fix.
Just set post roll to any time, doesn't matter as long as it goes past the end of the file you are recording.
Highlight the area you are bouncing and let post roll take you past the out point, and the pop is gone.

This has happened to me for many version of PT. never found out why but it was an easy fix so i let it be.
Hope this helps

zeeman

Mac 2x2.6 quad core OS 10.6.4 PT 9

paul_g
03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
I used to get this in previous versions, but it never printed to the bounce...

I've drawn automation (fade) on the master fader, as I've done in the past... Now as soon as the bounce stops, there is a pop (probably the audio post fade). Previously it never printed to the bounce... but it's printing to the bounce now.

And I can confirm it's when you draw automation on the master fader to fade the song out.

Zeeman, tried your option but it didn't work.

- workaround for now - since it only prints the pop to the bounce when automation is drawn on the master fader, I bounced to WAV (few seconds past the pop) then brought the wave into another new session and trimmed the end and bounced to MP3. HUGE PIA - I hope this is a fix in 9.0.3!!!!

bterry343
04-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey Guys, Bernard Terry here, I've had the same problem in Pt9, But not in Pt8, have not fully examined all the plugin variables that could be the cause but my work around is to extend the selection a few seconds past the fade when bouncing to disk, until avid addresses this issue this will get you thru,

handersson
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I had the same issue.
The fix for me was to draw an automation fade out on the reverb aux. I had pops even though there was no reverb tale left when the song ended. So, I made the fade out on the reverb aux so it muted right before the L/R did.

If you have some reverb going on you might want to try this.

Hope this helps!

/H

Mischdepp
05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Also had this issue with PT 6 and 7.4.
My solution was not to bounce the mix but to record it on a PT audio track...

cschreppel
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

I've just come across this problem as well in PT9.0.3 on OX 10.6.8. A solution I've found that works is to run your mix through an Aux track before hitting your Master fader and doing the fade on the Aux.

You'll have to set your outputs to feed a Bus instead of your Main outputs. Then point the Aux track to the Master fader.

Hopefully Avid will get this under control soon...

chetland
04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Old thread, but maybe this'll help someone.

None of the above workarounds worked for me, but the following does:

Make sure there is an automation breakpoint set to -infinity at the beginning of your selected bounce area (with a quick fade up to 0dBFS before your song starts).

Pro Tools appears to be jumping back to the first automation volume level of the selected area just before finishing the bounce.

SixChurchStreet
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I've had weird reverb bursts at the end of bounced files. Is this the same problem with the same fix?

Sent via VM670

chroma17
04-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Probably, yes.

nob turner
04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
After several of us posted about this problem multiple times, Avid finally admitted to it back about 9.04. The reason it didn't occur previous to 9.0 is that it is related to Delay Compensation. They promised to fix it for awhile, but couldn't manage it in the various versions of 9. I don't know if they fixed it in 10... I'm not too excited about spending a bundle to find out. For me, the new features in 10 aren't worth it.

The noise printed at the end of a bounced file it typically under 30mS in my experience. I just lop it off after mixing, or ask the mastering engineer to do the same. It is disappointing that Avid hasn't straightened it out in 9, nor have I seen any admission of a fix in 10.

SixChurchStreet
04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
For what it's worth, I used to use PT9 last year, and I always had these reverb bursts at the end of my bounced files. I kind of put Pro Tools aside for quite a few months, I probably last used 9.0.3, but I forget exactly. Recently I reformatted, and I'm running 9.0.6, and I haven't had the problem with the few bounces I've done.

chetland
04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm using PT 10 and still have the same problem.

brickroadstudio
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
bump.
I Have been dealing with for a year. I used a support code with Avid and all they told me to do was trash my prefs and shut off loop playback.
That didnt help.
I havent tried the zero time automation from inf to 0 db, I will today-
Avid? Any comments on this?