PDA

View Full Version : move up to HD?

Filmusic
12-12-2010, 01:09 AM
hi, i'm a former le user who just moved up to PT9...and i'm loving it

i'm pondering my next move:

at this point does it make sense to move up to HD

or..if i want to increase my raw power

do i just get a honking fast computer and stay with PT9 (non hd)

on a note:

i already have enough i/o with my 003r combined with my octopre II to do most of my sessions

if i need more i/o then i turn on my old mix system...(48 i/o at 24/48 on that one...great for tracking large sessions....with multiple acts...live)

so just wondering...in light of all the recent changes...what i may be missing by staying at non-hd9

your thoughts are very welcome

i see that today, an hd system today, consisting of 1 x 192 and a core card and another card for more umph!, can cost in and around $2,500 (this config would allow me to use my 888's or adat bridge through the 192's legacy ports...so tons of i/o could move up with me to hd)

da money
i can afford this move move...but

i simply wanted to avoid redundency (with that of which i've already and paid for...ha ha...my mix system, my mbox pro, my 003r, my original mbox, my presonus firestudio, my octopree II...ha ha..ok ok...i'll stop citing my with the low end gear already)

hence the question:

1. move up to hd

or,

2. get a new blazing fast computer

i'm currently on an older dell 690...which is qualified for hd

just wondering

justus1900
12-12-2010, 05:02 AM
I allways thought that one day soon I would be moving up to a Pro Tools HD System but now with my Intel i7 Chip Computer, Pro Tools 9, 8GB or Ram, 7200rpm 32MB cache Hard Drives, I can work on HUGE Sessions at 48Khz/24bit with no problems. I use to record at 96Khz/24bit on an old iMac and I had so many problems after like 20 tracks it made working with Pro Tools not much fun. So unless you want to record at 96Khz/24bit or over and use over like 72 Tracks you should be good with a new computer wth a top of the line Intel i7 chip, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, 7200RPM.32MB or 64MB Cache Black Hard Drives, at least 8GB of Ram or more and stick two 16GB USB 2.0 or one 32GB Thumb Drives in the Box and set that for Readyboost and I think you could go along way without going the extra mile to a Pro Tools HD system. Now if this is for your personal home studio you would be set but if you are a Professional Recording Studio you want to go HD.

Filmusic
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
i'm performing post audio for film and recording groups and artists

todate i have got by with le and digitranslator...always holding back on the hd purchase...just waiting to see what native solutions avid would unrole

well now we know - and it looks good

which has me wondering, should i get a smoking computer and stay non-hd

i think i will do just that

i'm encouraged that your non-hd system is working great for you

thanks

albee1952
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I would build a 6 core i7 980X rig and spend the leftover cash on some great mics and preamps(or monitors or acoustic treatments or plugins or......:p)

filosofem
12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
i'm performing post audio for film and recording groups and artistsHD Native supports Satellite.

Filmusic
12-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I would build a 6 core i7 980X rig and spend the leftover cash on some great mics and preamps(or monitors or acoustic treatments or plugins or......:p)

now this is gonna be fun

maybe something like this to start?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-HPE-190T-I7-980X-6-CORE-3-33GHZ-16GB-3TB-DESKTOP-PC-/390270276905?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5addebd529

cheers
Filmusic

daeron80
12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
We had a thread about the differences a few days ago, based on the myth perpetrated by a sticky thread that there are none. We identified the following things HD has that PT9+CPTK2 doesn't:

HEAT support
Track Input Monitoring
Track Punch (punch in and out of individual tracks while others stay in record)
Destructive Punch
Specific voice allocation
SYNC HD support
Satellite support
Video capture

So if you need any of those, go HD. Otherwise, keep yo money. :-)

albee1952
12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
now this is gonna be fun

maybe something like this to start?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-HPE-190T-I7-980X-6-CORE-3-33GHZ-16GB-3TB-DESKTOP-PC-/390270276905?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5addebd529

cheers
Filmusic
Looks interesting. I am a bit confused on the RAM setup though mixing 4x2 sticks and dual 4gb sticks seems an odd choice to me. But, add a few drives and it should be a good performer(I would spend the same money on a custom build, but that's just me):rolleyes:

Filmusic
12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
could you offer up your preferred custom rig config (citing specific brands of components)

ha ha, as i'd rather follow instructions....as opposed to write the book

Filmusic
12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
thanks for the 8 point breakdown on the differences - very very helpful