PDA

View Full Version : SM57 Impedance Mod

Jwald
11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
For anyone that has looked into the different 57 mods, like boiling off a transistor, I found an alternative option http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/330.html

I'm going to do some soldering and record a few samples tonight, I'll try to post them.

Has anyone tried this before?

guitardom
11-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I went a little overboard w this stuff years back. have done this to various mic cables to match the impedance of various different pre's I have to the 57 and 421 which has quite a different Impedance from a 57. Have various mic jumper cables about 2 feet long w labels of different impedances. The difference is small in my opinion. Not sure it's all worth it but a fun quick project.

Jwald
11-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Actually, I think it worked quite well, though not particularly drastic as the author claimed. I tried his experiment with a crash to test the highs and could tell that the highs don't fall off all of the sudden without the resistor. It seemed less boxed in too. I don't know if I'll use it all the time, but for $1 and a few minutes soldering, I think it's well worth it to give my 57's the extra flexibility.