PDA

View Full Version : EZ Drummer question

patswope
10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm working with EZ Drummer inside of PT LE. I've just been loading the plug in, using the basic mixing inside the plug in, and working with one fader inside of PT. This is fine for rough drums, but I would like to know a way to assign each drum/cymbal it's own track inside of PT. This obviously gives more flexibility with mixing to get a much better drum sound. Anybody know how or if you can do this?? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Raoul23
10-13-2010, 03:29 AM
if you go in to the mixer section on ez drummer underneath each channel is a number i think it says mix 1, mix 2, mix 3 etc. In pro tools mix 1 is not recognised so i put the bass drum on mix 2, snare top mix 3 snare bottom mix 4 etc. Then in pro tools where you choose your input for each channel pick the bus that crresponds to that channel eg bass drum track would be bus 2 snare top would be bus 3 and so forth. Then enable record press record and it will record the midi in to an audio file so you can mix the drums how ya like:-)

Hope this helps

BradLyons
10-13-2010, 03:51 AM
What the other poster said should work fine so definitely try that---but the more you get into EZ DRUMMER you might want to consider upgrading to the full SUPERIOR DRUMMER. I have most of the various programs on the market myself and I really love that program for its diversity, expandability, the amount of drum sounds it can have per kit, and how in-depth it can go. The routing is also more advanced, which obviously is a big plus.

albee1952
10-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Well said above...I use both(more SD2 these days) and the principle is the same. In the ezdrummer(or SD2) mixer window, at the bottom of each "channel" you can select a track(the default is all to Track 1). What I did(when I only had ezdrummer) was to take my favorite kits and edit the outputs as follows, and then save the settings as a preset like "NashKitMulti" (Nashville kit with outputs assigned for multi-track). Assignment was:
Kick to Track 1(the Instrument track becomes kick-only)
Snare top&bottom to Track 2
Hat to Track 3
All Toms to Track 4
Overheads to Track 5
Room to Track 6(but I chose to rarely use this track)
Then, in your session, create 5-6 stereo tracks(AUX tracks work fine or you can use AUDIO tracks to print). If you decide to print to AUDIO tracks, you can use a send to get the kick drum out to its own AUDIO track. One trick that you may like is, when recording drums to AUDIO tracks, you may find the overhead has a bit too much snare(I do) so I go back to the kit and select NONE for the snare sound, then record the overhead track again. Now I can turn the snare down and not hear it in the overhead track. While this may not be the "real" sound, it gives me the control I want to get my mix right for me:D BTW, SD2 allows the use of all the ezdrummer kits, plus you can combine sounds from the different kits. While its a bit tricky and "kludgy" to do this, it does work and gives you lots of options(like the Avatar kit with the Nashville kit's Black Beauty snare).

patswope
10-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! I've been wanting to upgrade to superior but just need the money. Looks waaay better...