PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust tempo in real-time?

ddecker1979
09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Hello all,

I do orchestral music for films using PT8 & a variety of v-instrument libraries. I record to a click at a fixed tempo and I want to be able to adjust the tempo in real-time, perhaps by tapping in the tempo as the sequence is being played back. Almost as if I'm conducting it. Is there a way to do this?

I'm aware of what Beat Detective does but to my knowledge those adjustments can't be made in real-time, hearing the tempo modifications while I'm making them.

I would greatly appreciate any help you all could give me...Thanks in advance!

daeron80
09-15-2010, 06:28 AM
It's probably going to require a 2 or 3 step process. The way I used to do it was record a wild click track (with no relation to session tempo) by playing a cross stick sample from a MIDI keyboard (as a MIDI track). Then listen back and tweak that until it feels like a really solid representation of the tempo fluctuations I want. Then use a Beat Detective type operation (you might need to turn it into an audio file first? Been a while) to create a tempo track where each MIDI note is one beat. After that, add meter changes, and you've got your structure. The next day a new version of the film arrives that totally changes everything. :D

I don't mind saying, this process was drop-dead simple in Studio Vision. Alas, for the fallen mighty! It's also a lot easier in Logic than in PT. Really, the thing to do is score in Logic, then port everything to PT for mixing.