PDA

View Full Version : Midi Input Monitor in Pro Tools

scenicrecords
03-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Is there a way to view Midi Input in Pro Tools? Where you can view the note, velocity, etc. in real time as you play?

Thanks.

albee1952
03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
On a note by note basis? That's a boatload if info to try to watch as it goes by. Anyway, clicking on any MIDI note(Notes view in the edit window), its velocity is displayed in the small box at the top at the right end of the counter window. It doesn't display while playing or recording, but any note you click on will show its note number and velocity(just to the left of the little midi plug and speaker symbol that toggles Midi Monitoring). I don't know if there is a way to display all this info on the fly(and don't know what good it would do). Maybe more info on what and why you need this will help get a better answer:rolleyes:

scenicrecords
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
In Logic (what I used before Apple took them over) there was a midi input monitor right on the Transport. You could also view it in the environment window. It should be a basic feature, I'm surprised it's not right there in Pro Tools.

Basically, I want to be able to hit a pad on my controller, easily see what note it is, and be able to program from there. Pads get reassigned based on controller setups, and I just want to easily see what notes are what.

musicalavtech
03-03-2010, 02:38 PM
You might want to view the Midi Event List. Or show automation lanes (velocity, volume, pan, etc), under the midi tracks, in the edit window.