PDA

View Full Version : problems with aux output monitoring

soundbobby
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
when i solo a channel and listen thru headphone out, everything sounds normal. however when i solo a mix from an aux out, everything seems really quiet. i cant turn up my headphone level anymore. im using dual driver custom molds also to monitor. also it seems that when the volume does raise from a vocal , i hear a kind of panning issue? sort of like a leslie effect . any one having these issues? how can i raise the output volume of my headphone out ? this is unusual when im cueing a drum mix that is obviously bumping at 0, its soft to my ears on the solo...sucks...someone help a noob please

Sheldon Radford
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Try this:

AFL (solo) an aux and set the headphone level to the volume you desire. Turn the AFL off once you're happy with the level.
Go to the Options > Busses page and turn the Level Trim control down, to -20 dB or so.
PFL (solo) an input channel (such as guitar or vocal).
Increase the Level Trim control until the PFL'ed input channel is at a suitable volume, similar to the AFL'ed aux.

The Level Trim control helps balance after-fade AFL signals with pre-fade PFL signals.

One other thing to check is that the overall gain structure is correct. If you're using Peak meter mode (Options >Interaction) and the meters are only hitting 0 dB then you could stand to add more gain throughout. Search this forum for related topics on RMS and peak meter modes, and also read this article, (http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=319&langid=1&itemid=31930) which discusses gain structure.

I'm not sure what could be causing the Leslie effect. Try the steps above first to get the level issue sorted out, and if you still hear any odd effects write back on this thread.

Happy mixing!

Sheldon