PDA

View Full Version : 1 frame sync beep

snoopdasnoopdog
01-20-2010, 04:47 AM
I need help. How do I create a 1 frame beep at 2seconds before a session? :confused:

1ace1
01-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Does the beep need to be a particular pitch and what is the frame rate?

A:)

snoopdasnoopdog
01-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Ko, Ot needs to be 1k @ 25fps

snoopdasnoopdog
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Spelling lol
It needs to be 1k @ 25fps

daeron80
01-20-2010, 07:38 AM
It can't be before the session itself, of course. What you do when working with film is set your session Start Time to maybe 5 or 10 seconds prior to the hour mark of the reel. Like, if you're doing the first reel, it will be 1 hr, so you set your session Start Time to no later than 00:59:55:00. Then you can spot your 2-pop to 00:59:58:00. If you don't have a time code ruler, just spot it to the hour and nudge it 2 seconds earlier. For reel 2, use 01:59:55:00 or a little earlier as your session start time. The extra time at session start allows you to have a 2-bar count-off at practically any tempo. Getting your tempo to work out so a bar line lands close to the hour mark, which is usually desired, takes a little math and/or trial and error. That's why I like to give myself 10 seconds - I can use the extra bit at the top to screw with the tempo map to accomplish that, as you don't usually know what the initial tempo will be, and it might change as you receive new film edits.

I suspect that's all you were asking, but JIC, to create the 2-pop, record a little bit of the sine wave from the Signal Generator plug-in, then zoom in to the sample level and trim it down so it starts and ends at a zero cross point and is exactly one frame long.

There seems to be some variance of opinion these days about the level. In analog days, it was -12 VU. 0 VU in digital systems varies a bit, but -18 dBfs is common. So you'd think that a digital 2-pop should be at -30 dBfs. But in practice it's often -12 dBfs! I usually compromise and set it at -21 dBfs. That way, it's easily visible on the time line, but it doesn't blow anybody's ears off if their levels are set right.

snoopdasnoopdog
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info.
Greatly appreciated