PDA

View Full Version : glue

sbag
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I make good mixes and demo's but i can't seem to make it glue like I want 2. I've tried many different techniques, reference's from cd's, different monitors, headphones, boomboxes, etc. Maybe i like my end product, but y cant i get it like i like it? Send it off. I know but I'm a diy'er. LOL. But WTF. If u would like to take a listen its available on my myspace link ( Below ). NOT A PUBLICITY STUNT. But take 1 min listen. FB accepted with no push back. Suggestions R Great fully Weclome.

< Tell me >< Tell me what's funny > < Do I AMUSE > Whut tha Fuc So Funny Bout Me> Tell me whut's funny >GOodfellA's

mindnoise
11-14-2009, 09:33 AM
HI,

maybe you will find some help here:
http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

also freq band isolation of your different tracks is an often used trick
for glueing tracks.
like. e.g. the guitar rarely crosses the bass frequencies
but some overtones or 'bleedings' still occure but do not really contribute to the
instrument charakter. in a nutshell.

best :)

Concerttom
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

Looks like an amazing resource a lot of us could really benefit from. Thanks for posting link!:D

DrFord
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I am thinking honestly you may find a compressor on your masterbus may help a bit. Typically I use a combination of different plugs on my master bus BEFORE the brickwall limiter. My normal combo is a Tape SAturation Plug in (McDSP Analog Chanel) this is often replaced based on content of the mix for the T-Rex Fairchild 670 plug in, with a setting 1 or 2 and just barely tapping the gain reduction. Often I also put this all through a nice transparent mastering grade compressor set for a 1.5 / 1 compression ration with a slow attack and medium release just to add a bit of power (not really to give compression characteristics).

This tends to glue my mixes together very well. Something else I like to do is use stereo field enhancers to get things away from phantom center where my vocals live. I do this instead of EQing often times. I think people mistake EQ usage for panning.

I would recommend to put a brickwall and a compressor on your mix bus about 1/2 way through your mix and then finish the mix with them active because if you do a whole mix without them, and then throw them on you will find that suddenly your mix is uneven and lopsided.

The only other advice I have is that the best mixes come from the best recordings. And by that I mean good mic placement, good mics, good mic pres and most importantly good players. One of the biggest challenging in production is layering sounds that work together and don't fight, even before the mix happens.

best

Dorian Green
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
As said before, loadza issues come from the takes.You can't create new frequencies on your recorded tracks, even with the best plugin or hardware.
Yhay's why we have to know which mic to use, its placement, the place where it's recorded.It's really crucial.
So frequencies are your solution for balanced mix.
Each instrument and vocals must have its own place in the frequency range.
Where you set the range of each instrument will give your proper sound.
For example ,in the low end it's the battle between the bass guitar and Kick Drum, put a hi pass filter on one of them then on the other one, compare, keep the one u like (trust your ears!), you must hear them distinctly.

Sometimes (or often) when a good mix is finished, when you solo a track it can sound awful on it's own.
Voice ducking works very well to blend the instruments and voice.
Again, the place in the stereo image is very important.Use the pan wisely, there is no gold recipe.
Compression on the master bus is useful when you have differences of levels between the different parts of the song.But a wise fader riding or volume automation will help loads more (it's a lot of work but it's worth it).Compressor can still be added to get a "color".