PDA

View Full Version : Using only 1 core on an 8 core machine

guitar486
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I recently was getting rtas errors when recording at a buffer rate of 32 samples even though the rtas meter was maxing at about 26%. On a whim, I tried lowering the amount of cores used and finally brought it all the way down to one. On the SAME session I was getting errors on, the rtas meter dropped from 26 to about 12. So why is it that pro tools seems to be performing better on ONE core when it could be using 7?! Just curious, I'm happy that it's working better now but it seems odd that adding cpu power is making pro tools run worse. Anyhow, if you're having problems try lowering your cpu's not one LESS than available, but TO ONE! :D

DigiTechSupt
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Some info that may shed some light on what's going on:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=227746

I would make absolutely sure you don't have any known incompatible plug-ins installed...

guitar486
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I have in fact read that long ago and I am certain I have no incompatible plugins to date. I have 5GB of ram and there are no VI's in the session. Harpertown Mac Pro, dual quad core. I'm not complaining, everything is running much better now, in fact, twice as good! I just sort of assumed if I gave PT more power it would perform better. When I was getting the errors it wasn't constant, it was like every 10 takes or so halfway through the song we'd get an RTAS error.

DigiTechSupt
08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I have in fact read that long ago and I am certain I have no incompatible plugins to date. I have 5GB of ram and there are no VI's in the session. Harpertown Mac Pro, dual quad core. I'm not complaining, everything is running much better now, in fact, twice as good! I just sort of assumed if I gave PT more power it would perform better. When I was getting the errors it wasn't constant, it was like every 10 takes or so halfway through the song we'd get an RTAS error.

Can you post a list of installed plug-ins?

Not that I don't trust what you're saying, but given how many times I've heard 'they're all compatible' and then find that they're not, it's probably best to provide the list...

Of course, if you're happy with things as they are...no need...

guitar486
08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Heh, I understand. But things are fine now. If I have continuing problems I'll certainly do that though.