PDA

View Full Version : Command 8 and Windows 7

babyblue_music
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Hello,

I recently upgraded to Pro Tools 8 and to the Windows 7 RC. It's seems like either PT8 or the Windows 7 doesn't reconize the Command 8. It shows Offline. I configured it properly in the Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers window but it still shows off line. I keep getting the message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. I've uninstalled and installed PT8 making sure that the Command 8 box is checked but nothing. Still shows offline. Showing offline I'm able to press play and it plays but for just a moment. after that I get a message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. Is this a PT8 issue or could it be a Windows 7 issue.

Thanks

babyblue_music
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Can anybody help me?

beatbrother
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
After install PTLE, try to install standalone Command|8 Installer v8.0 (Windows) - it is here http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?itemid=4878&langid=1 .It's working for me with W7 RC1 x86 (32bit).

babyblue_music
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I tried what you suggested and still no luck. would you be able to tell me what you chose in the Peripherals. in Midi Controller I choose. #1 Type Command8. Receive from Command8. and Send to Command8. Ch# of course is 8. I'm able to mute channels, solo them, play & stop them but that message always pops up.

Maybe i'm doing something else wrong.

Thanks for the help

Intini
06-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I am sorry to ask, but is Pro Tools 8 already certified for Windows 7? If not this may be the problem? Also if the driver for Command 8 is not for Windows 7 it will not work properly. It could work in some cases and not in others - not reliable if not certified.

adelestevens
09-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Hi
I know this thread has been quiet for a wee while but I really would like to know how you guys or anyone else got on with getting a Command|8 to run under Win 7.
I am particularly looking for the settings you used in the Midi studio and peripherals dialogues to get your command|8 working.

I have tried to use the settings I have in XP Pro but they don't seem to work
these are

Input: Command|8 : Port 1
Output: Command|8 Port 1 Emulated.

I have tried to run PT LE 8 and my Command|8 under Win 7 Ultimate using the same settings. PT ran OK but I could never the Command|8 to run.

In XP Pro everything works great. But I do want to be able to use Win 7 Pro when it comes out. Without having to use the virtual XP option.

The reason I am would like this info is because I have a new Dell XPS 430 which came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed and a Win 7 Home Premium free upgrade when it comes out. I know PT isn't qualified to run on Home Premium so I installed XP Pro in dual boot. I have pre-ordered the Win 7Pro full version so I can upgrade to 7 pro.

So if any one can help that would be great.

Thanks in advance

lolo-m
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Did you already manage to make your C|8 work with PT8 on Windows XP ???
Mine never worked... Improove your workflow they say :rolleyes:...

adelestevens
10-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Did you already manage to make your C|8 work with PT8 on Windows XP ???
Mine never worked... Improove your workflow they say :rolleyes:...

Yes my Command|8 works perfectly under XP Pro it always had right from the start. Its under Vista or Win 7 that I can't get it to work even using the Vista driver provided by Digi with Visa.

You have to make sure you have the XP driver installed and set your midi up in Midi Studio as I say in my previous post, then select whatever instrument you set your C|8 up in midi studio and it should work fine first time.

Because it works so well under XP Pro I am going to stay with it until such time as I know it will work under Win 7.

lolo-m
10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, I don't understand everything :
Midi appears in two places:
-MIDI STUDIO
-PERIFERALS : MIDI CONTROLLERS

As I'm not using the midi for anything else than controller I didn't set anything in the MIDI STUDIO...
I just set the MIDICONTROLLER as it should be with the last driver, tried all the tips I found... And it stays offline. Am I missing something ???

adelestevens
10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Well, I don't understand everything :
Midi appears in two places:
-MIDI STUDIO
-PERIFERALS : MIDI CONTROLLERS

As I'm not using the midi for anything else than controller I didn't set anything in the MIDI STUDIO...
I just set the MIDICONTROLLER as it should be with the last driver, tried all the tips I found... And it stays offline. Am I missing something ???

That is probably you problem
Even though you are not using anything midi you still need to set your Midi Studio up.

If you don't have it you can download the user guide from here

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=154&itemid=4878

You don't actually need a instrument. But I have two keyboards one my digital piano is connected to my Command|8 but it isn't used through it very much. So I set my MIDI studio up using the name New Instrument 1

If you go in to MIDI studio and click on

Instrument -Create on the top left
Then under properties in instrument name put New Instrument 1 or a name of your choice hit enter to save the name and then select
Input Port Command|8: Port 1
Output Port Command|8 : Port 1 [Emulated]

Enter again to save just to be safe and then close the MIDI studio dialogue down.

Go to Peripherals in the set up menu click on MIDI Controllers

Click on the first drop down and chose Instrument 1 in the type , then
Receive from New Instrument 1
Send to New Instrument 1
#ch's should default to 8

PT should then recognise you Command|8 and you should see a welcome dialogue in the display of it.

If you are still having problems then I suggest contacting Digi Tech Support.

Hope that all makes sense.?

lolo-m
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I understand your procedure but it's a complete non-sense to me... Quite new to Protools and I don't understand why they always complicate simple things :rolleyes:... I will try your tip as soon as I'll get back to the studio next week... I red this in te manual (to set the midi studio) but I thought it was meanless in my case... Many thanks anyway...

Maybe it's stupid but did you try to switch protools in Administrator mode in Win7 like told there :
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253824

milticket5150
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
My system quad core 4gigs of ram mother board p6t running windows 7 home premium 32 bit PT8 and Mbox 2 Control surface C8. I looked and looked and I was just about to go back to Xp and found this thread and now everything is working harmoniously at the present. Hope this Helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/