PDA

View Full Version : Latching Talkback Mod

David McCarthy
05-16-2009, 05:17 AM
I've had a look around but haven't found anything on this. Has anyone managed to replace the standard PC talkback switch with a latching one? If so, any pointers? Thanks.

elicious
05-16-2009, 04:24 PM
maybe not quite the angle you're looking for...
but, if you're asking for latching cuz you're tired of holding the button down while the musicians yak at one another;
in my template i have a trak called control room talkback (c.r.tb);
an aux trak with the cue sends set to pre fade into the phones and output set to none,
an omni mic mic set in the room,
and dyn3 set to crazy compression.
with the band not playing, the guys in the tracking room hear everything being said in the control room, and as soon as the music starts, it's compressed down and out of their mix.
(i use the same approach to hear talkng from the control room-
ssl even gives away their listenback compressor for free, 'though it needs to be wrapped.)
b.o.l.
e

David McCarthy
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for that. I work in audio-post so the requirements are a little different. I can try a few workarounds but I'd really like to just replace the switch and am surprised no-one seems to have done it.

Craig F
05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
might be easier to wire a latching switch to one of the Foot Switch contacts of the TRS 1/4" on the back
or even use a latching foot switch

David McCarthy
05-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Good thought, Craig. I could knock up a little box with a latching switch which would also get around the issue I have of wanting the talkback button further to my left. Time to get out the soldering iron...

Tweakhead
06-10-2009, 03:33 AM
I always thought that an Auto Talkback option would be nice (like an SSL).

So that when the transport stops, the talkback button automatically engages.

elicious
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
the massey talkback tool does just that.
e

Table Syrup Records
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah, wiring up your own latching switch via the footswitch controls is gonna be the easiest, cheapest method here. :)

That or opening the unit and installing a latching switch, that'd work too, but if you want it off to the side, then the 'footswitch' method is probably your best bet.

I'm in the process of ordering components to build Wireless talkback switches for use in our large sessions with multiple individuals in the control room requiring input as needed.... pretty sweet devices, utilizing the footswitch controller on my Control 24, a reciever, and as many remotes as I want.

A pretty sweeeeeeeeeet setup.

Tweakhead
06-13-2009, 03:56 AM
the massey talkback tool does just that.
e

I am not sure how this would get patched from the Pro Control talkback mic, and then mixed back into the headphone mix to the stereo cue. Have you managed to do it?