PDA

View Full Version : Timing

shultzee13
03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Keyboard player laid down the basic tracks with a click track inside pro Tools 8 MP. Upon laying other things down like guitars and drums I am strating to second guess our "63" speed. Is there a way inside Pro Tools to change the speed of the song to like 64 or 65 speed? Keyboard player moved away so getting him back is a no go. I don't want it to sound fake though. I am afraid when I lay the drum tracks it will be way off. Timing wise.:D

I want to learn how to do this in case this happens again in the future. Can someone send me detailed step by step instructions on how to do this?

Elastic maybe? I am a rock n roll guy so I use Pro Tools to about half of it ability I am sure. Alot of the things this will do is way over my head.

Thanks in advance guys.

Keybeeetsss
03-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Elastic maybe?
Thanks in advance guys.
U answered ur own question actually...

shultzee13
03-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Need details please.

Keybeeetsss
03-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Need details please.
Thatz what the videos are for on the Digi site bud-deee...

Dog BBQ
03-30-2009, 07:29 AM
In the future I'd record all Keyboards Midi Out Unless it was a B3

Then you have the performance and can change the tempo easily

albee1952
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
In the future I'd record all Keyboards Midi Out Unless it was a B3

Then you have the performance and can change the tempo easily
BINGO! That's the ticket. But back to the EA question, it may work and is worth a try. Read thru this whole thing before you start, and be aware that I am NOT an EA expert(but I have done some stuff with it). Maybe someone else will read this and have better ideas but this should get you started.

This might work better if you put your audio tracks in Tick based instead of Sample based so experiment. And if it sounds bad, don't save. Ctrl-z is your friend(the UNDO command) and you can always go File>Revert to saved and get back to where you started.

I would start by opening the session and choose File>Save session copy and check "ALL AUDIO FILES" so you will work on a copy of the session(so no matter how bad you mess it up, the original is still available). The close and go open the new copy. Next, I would make a group of all the audio tracks and enable the group. Then enable EA (choose polyphonic), then select to show warp markers(we are in the edit window BTW). Since the ALL group is enabled, whatever you do to one track should happen to all. Next, I would lock the first marker of each track. Then while in grid mode, advance to the last marker and drag it earlier in the timeline by a bar at a time and listen to the result. If it sounds good, cool, but is the tempo where you want it? If yes, save it but if not, move that last warp marker again.

shultzee13
04-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Good start. If I change the keyboard tracks to ticks and then change the tempo to what I need will I be able to record my drums? in other words by changing a few tracks in a song to ticks, does that enable me from recording my tracks...?
I did this and then Superior drummer armed to record but it would not record midi tracks until I reverted the keys tracks.

Maybe I just needed to restart my computer? Was this a fluke you think?

Sven62
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Put all your tracks in ticks mode. Enable elastic audio on all the tracks by selecting an algorithm for each one. Selection area is right next to the green triangle on each track. Use Polyphonic for guitars and keys... Monophonic for bass, vocals... and Rhythmic for drums. The tracks will grey out while your CPU converts the tracks to elastic. Takes a few seconds. Depends on your computer. When the color comes back you are ready to go.

Now, just change the tempo up on the tempo toolbar. There should be a 63 up there somewhere. If it says 120 then we need to do something else first. But if it says 63 just change it to 64 or 65 or whatever. All the tracks should automatically adjust to the new tempo. If you are only changing by one or two beats per min you should be fine. You can speed it up or slow it down by a lot, but that requires a little more tweaking of the algorithm parameters.

If you lke the way it sounds at the new tempo, you're done! And yeah you can record new tracks to it. The Pro Tools click will be at the new tempo. Record all new tracks in ticks mode, too,

If all you ever do is music/audio you should be in ticks mode all the time. Samples mode is better for scoring films and videos when you need the audio track to stay put at a specified time. Obviously, you don't want this when you are trying to change the tempo of a song that's already recorded.

No clue why you couldn't record with your drum program.

IMPORTANT: Do all this chit on a backup copy of your session in case I am wildy wrong! :-P

shultzee13
04-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Where is a good idea to start Poloyphonic at? 12 O' clock. The more the better? The less the better? I applied 40 ms to it and the track sounded warped.

Thanks again.

Sven62
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Where is a good idea to start Poloyphonic at? 12 O' clock. The more the better? The less the better? I applied 40 ms to it and the track sounded warped.

Thanks again.

If you are not changing the tempo very much you probably would start at the default setting. If you are making a drastic tempo change then solo the track, select a couple bars, put it in loop play and adjust the knob until it sounds good. I turn it way up and then back it off until the transients start sounding chopped off, then I turn the knob back the other way just a little.

I assume we are talking about a keyboard track.

shultzee13
04-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Yes sir. The problem is no matter which way I turn it or the amount I add it makes the track sound warped. I have two tracks of keyboards "stacked" so I guess I should delete one track and then add polyphonic and then copy the track for stacking?
I did the same exact thing to both tracks though and it still sounded warped. All I did was make the tempo 64 instead of 63!

Kind of crazy.

Sven62
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
What do you mean by "warped"?

Do you mean pitch variations? Tremelo effect? Speeding up and slowing down? :confused:

shultzee13
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
sorry...yes, tremelo effects.

Sven62
04-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Mute all but one of the stacked tracks and see if it still sounds wrong.