PDA

View Full Version : i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23

EarBud
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I just looked at my C: drive in Device Manager "Properties". Under the "Volume" tab, there's no information at all - no Capacities, no Type, no Unallocated Space - nothing.

Is someone getting ready to tell me that I've got to format my C: drive and install everything again?

If so, how could Windows have been installed on an unformatted drive?

And how can you format the drive if the Windows installer doesn't give you the option?

Grrrrrrrrr!

mykhal c
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
no... you have to choose to 'populate' it to get the info.

EarBud
04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Mykhal,

Yes, that worked - thanks. But what's going on re the formatting?

Did Windows automatically format the drive before the installation without asking?

What about partitions and file types? I was never given any options - I feel like I'm missing something here.

mykhal c
04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Mykhal,

Yes, that worked - thanks. But what's going on re the formatting?

Did Windows automatically format the drive before the installation without asking?

What about partitions and file types? I was never given any options - I feel like I'm missing something here.

i'm not too sure of what you askin' or where you're at in the process but check out steps 5 and 6 in the link. it should help you out with the formattin' option, etc...http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_7/install_windows_7.htm

EarBud
04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Mykhal,

My confusion lies in the fact that when I installed Windows 7, I never got either of the options shown in steps 5 and 6. I kept waiting to see such options but never did.

Apparently, thanks to dumb luck, everything's okay.

I guess I'll just have to stay confused about how Windows installed itself on a drive I never formatted.

Southernbudz
04-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Yo what up, im basically new to this forum and im debating on whether
getting a mac book or building my own DAW.

One of my friends told me building your own DAW would save me money
from buying a new macbook pro. Now i dont know if this is true
but if i were to build my own daw, how much would i need?

lets just say my budget is 800 with a new operating system. ex. Windows 7 ultimate.

Again, im new to this forum, so if this is the wrong place to post this post, excuse me.

Basically i want a computer that would run pt9 flawlessly.

if its possible to build my own DAW with 800$ and a new Operating system thats already in my clutches, then can anyone please tell me what i need
to get?

i have no knowledge on computers whatsoever so bare with me.

thanks in advance.

P.S Happy 420

mykhal c
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Yo what up, im basically new to this forum and im debating on whether
getting a mac book or building my own DAW.

One of my friends told me building your own DAW would save me money
from buying a new macbook pro. Now i dont know if this is true
but if i were to build my own daw, how much would i need?

lets just say my budget is 800 with a new operating system. ex. Windows 7 ultimate.

Again, im new to this forum, so if this is the wrong place to post this post, excuse me.

Basically i want a computer that would run pt9 flawlessly.

if its possible to build my own DAW with 800$ and a new Operating system thats already in my clutches, then can anyone please tell me what i need
to get?

i have no knowledge on computers whatsoever so bare with me.

thanks in advance.

P.S Happy 420

welcome:-) please see page 1 of this thread. there you will find workin' builds and the necessary components. once you've done that it'll be easier for you to ask specific questions with specific answers in return. happy huntin'!!!

Southernbudz
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
welcome please see page 1 of this thread. there you will find workin' builds and the necessary components. once you've done that it'll be easier for you to ask specific questions with specific answers in return. happy huntin'!!!

Thanks mykhal c, im going to be honest with you, i dont know nothing about building DAWS and i for sure dont know what im reading when it comes to that first page... im really tired of my computer, and i am really interested in building my own daw. perhaps you can tell me where to read exactly? where do i start?

my real budget is 900 $ please let me know as soon as possible
thank you.

filosofem
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
perhaps you can tell me where to read exactly? where do i start?
Hello, I'm new to around here so I don't know what I'm talking about but I'll try and help, help giving you the nuts and bolts of a choice between two systems:

*Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz Bloomfield D0 1366 VGA, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (FF) Rev.2, DDR3-SDRAM DDR3-1333 Corsair 6144 MB Single Bank 2048, ATi Radeon HD 5400 Series 512 MB PCIe, Enermax Liberty ECO II 620w PSU Modular, WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2, Windows 7 Professional 6.01.7600 (x64)

*i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz, Intel DP67BG motherboard, G- Skill 8GB DDR3 1600, Crucial C300 SATA3 SSD - system drive, Samsung F3 1TB - audio drive, Nvidia Geforce 8500, Termalright Ultra Extreme 120, Antec P-150 case, Seasonic S12II 520 PSU

The later system being the newer Sandy Bridge thus the former being the older Tylersburg. Tylersburg is becoming long in the tooth for computer years where Sandy Bridge is where we are at. The question perhaps you need to ask yourself, do you want to be where it is at or a step behind?

If you are not going to be upgrading for another two years, right now, I would pick the Sandy Bridge, thus you'll have better access to current components. But the choice is yours. I'm just making you aware of the situation.

EarBud
04-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I think I'm finally getting down to the wire on this i7 project!

I've performed nearly all of the optimizations listed up at the front of this thread. Here are my remaining issues:

1) The first time I started making these adjustments, I ran into startup problems after I changed the FireWire Controller to the LEGACY version. I rolled the system back until the startup problem went away, then started the optimization process again - but this time I left the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" alone (didn't change it to the Legacy version), and so far there have been no more startup problems. I was wondering if this change is still recommended, or was it only necessary in earlier builds?

2) When I first installed PT 9.0.2, I loaded up a new session from one of the templates just to see if everything worked. Even without setting up my MIDI configurations, the prerecorded MIDI drum track audio played just fine.

However, after performing the optimizations, the track still plays, but there's no audio. Is this because I deleted the Digi Database and Prefs folders and need to now manually configure my system? I deleted ProTools Databases, DAE Prefs, and the AppData>Roaming>Digidesign folder inside the folders. These three folders are still sitting in the Recycle Bin (I'm too chicken to delete them yet :>)

Any help appreciated - I'd love to feel like this project is finally complete...

The Weed
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
After Trashing Databases and Preferences, you need to reboot so the files can be rebuilt.

Cheers,

EarBud
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
After Trashing Databases and Preferences, you need to reboot so the files can be rebuilt.

Cheers,

Hi Bruce,

Yes, they were rebuilt, but for some reason the MIDI drum track in the template session is no longer audible after trashing the original folders. I'd just like to know for certain what all I lost.

And I'd still like to know the story on the Legacy FW driver.

The Weed
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Okay, you didn't mention a reboot, so I was just making sure.

Cheers,

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey guys, how's things.
First post - and don't want to hijack, but don't wanna start a new thread haha.

I'm doing a new build as my old Athlon system is slowly killing me I'm pretty sure.
Just not sure what to base it on! The obvious choice is copying guitardom's amazing i7 build. I can get hold of the same motherboard here in New Zealand, but the i7 920 is pretty scarce. I can find the i7 950 cheaper than the 930, am I going to experience any difficulty straying from guitardom's build up to a 950?

For a slight bit cheaper I can build a Q9550, Asus P5Q Deluxe/Pro system. Am I right in thinking I should be shooting for the i7?

The last little details are Hard Drives and RAM. I know WD Caviar Blacks seem to be the preference here (and are cheap in NZ and widely available), but should I go for 64MB or 32MB cache?
Lastly RAM. I really have NO IDEA what is the best to go for. At this stage I'll probably be running 32 bit Windows 7 or XP as I'm not the most tech-savvy guy in the land, so I'll just be going for 4GB at this stage.

Any and all help on this will be HUGELY appreciated. I want to get this build up and running in the next week or so if it can be done. Got a session coming up next weekend and it would be amazing if I could have this monster going!

Love your work, all!
Hayden

filosofem
04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Hayden, welcome to the DUC.

guitardom, Steve, has the EX58-UD3R motherboard are you sure you didn't mean the GA-X58A-UD3R board?

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey - thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah, both the EX58-UD3R and GA-X58A-UD3R are readily available. I could go with either as they're within the same price range, (though there's an EX58-UD3R factory reconditioned for a lot cheaper with warranty) if you have a recommendation of one over the other I'm all ears, though it's more the processor (i7 920 vs i7 950) that I was concerned about.
I know the 920 is at the heart of Steve's build, but I can only really get a 930 or 950 here. The 950 is about $30 cheaper and more powerful so seems like a no-brainer. That said, I want a stable machine. Is anyone using a 950 with good results. I couldn't dig up too much...

The Hard Drives I was gonna get today, only 64MB Cache versions are more common than 32MB - is 64MB ok?

Thanks so much! :D

filosofem
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
...and their still supplying drivers and BIOS updates for that GA-EX58-UD3R board, that's over two years old. Let alone the GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 board, that's getting there also. Ummm... any thoughts on Sandy Bridge? LGA1155/P67 Chipset? That's the newest of all known working configurations on the DUC.

The Bloomfield - LGA1366 Core i7 9xx go with the Tylersburg X58 Chipsets.
The Sandy Bridge - LGA1155 Core i7 2xxx go with the Cougar Point P67 Chipsets.

Point in question is do you go with Core i7 9xx or Core i7 2xxx?

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Good point. I had read that Pro Tools 8 had a couple of issues with Sandy Bridge so was trying to stay away... So i7 9XX (920,930,950,960) will all be ok on a GA-EX58-UD3R?

If I'm starting to look into a Sandy Bridge build with LGA1155 Core i7 2xxx as the processor, I really don't know what sorta motherboard I should be going for. Daft question - but how do I tell if the processor is Cougar Point..?

Sorry to be a pain - appreciate your help on this!
H

filosofem
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
You have three choices in descending order:

*GA-P67X-UD3R - (P67) LGA1155 Core i7 2xxx
*GA-X58A-UD3R - (X58) LGA1366 Core i7 9xx
*GA-EX58-UD3R - (X58) LGA1366 Core i7 9xx

Quite frankly I'd pick the GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 LGA1366 Core i7 950 as it's a step behind though not two steps but it's not brand new. If you can get away with 64MB Cache HDD's even better.

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Fair enough. It's looking like I'm going to go for a X58 build. The 2700K was running at about $500 from Ur Computer in Riccarton, the i7 960 seems to be the easiest to get a hold of for about $450. A i7 960 would be all good, yeah? As for mobo, you vote for the GA-X58A-UD3R over the GA-EX58A-UD3R? I'll just have to make sure I'm getting a rev.2 one. I've got 2X 1TB WD Black 64 MB HDD's today so that's sussed. A lot of people seem to have different preferences for RAM - is there any stand out performer?

Thanks for your help Aaron

P.s. Just saw your location before this post. Small world - huh?

filosofem
04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Very small and an unstable one of that. :p

Ummm... Core i7 960 will work fine and the X58A-UD3R Rev.2 board is a newer board so it'll be supported longer. RAM, I'd go minimum 6GB, this way, Pro Tools can address all 4GB this leaving 2GB for OS. RAM type? Anybodies guess. Depends on how much you want to spend. If you dig through the last twenty odd pages of this thread you might find a good combination that will suit your needs. Hayden.

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
You said it!
Awesome about the Mobo/Processor. Means I can get them here by Wednesday! I've been trawling the last few pages and found a few successful RAM users but there's a lot on Timings that confuses me. I'm also presuming that I'd need Windows 7 64 bit to enable my system to use more than 3GB of RAM, is that right?

Thanks again!
H

filosofem
04-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Windows 7 Professional 64 OEM. Avid Audio Qualify Service Pack 1. And those timings are for those that Over Clock.

amatueraudio
04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Awesome. I'll have a look into RAM etc, might just get 8GB as it's cheap. I'm guessing non-ECC is the way to go?

filosofem
04-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Non-registered. The GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 board supports 6 DIMMS Slots you might think about populating them all.

filosofem
04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
...and triple channel.

amatueraudio
04-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Will 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333 be more effective than 6GB Triple Channel? Looking around it seems that all the triple-channel stuff that is readily available is 1600 (which I'm told the GA-X58A-UD3R doesn't support). On that note, I've been calling around stores all day and no one has been able to tell me whether their GA-X58A-UD3R Stock is rev.2 or not! I have no idea how to tell either to be fair but come on!

remis
04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Will 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333 be more effective than 6GB Triple Channel? Looking around it seems that all the triple-channel stuff that is readily available is 1600 (which I'm told the GA-X58A-UD3R doesn't support). On that note, I've been calling around stores all day and no one has been able to tell me whether their GA-X58A-UD3R Stock is rev.2 or not! I have no idea how to tell either to be fair but come on!

Triple channel is the way to go with that board. You can see the type of RAM I'm using with a similar setup in my sig. Mine's been rock solid:cool: 1600 will work fine, just have to set the timings and multiplier in the bios yourself (don't worry if you're unsure, it's pretty easy to do). The advantage with the Corsair Dominator kit is that is has xmp profiling, so if you select that in the bios it will set your RAM timings etc automatically to run the RAM at 1600 at its rated timings. Whatever amount of RAM you decide to get (i went with a 12GB kit) i recommend getting a single kit of that ammount as it limits potential incompatibility between different sticks.

amatueraudio
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Ok that's great - thanks for that! I just got confused when I was reading up that 1600 wasn't supported with that board... I'll price up 6 vs 12 GB today. Though it's starting to become a pretty expensive build... Coming close to iMac territory in terms of price. I hope I'm not making the wrong choice!

amatueraudio
04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
OK - just pulled the trigger on this setup.
• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X52A-UD3R. Revision 2.
• Processor: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz
• RAM: Kingston KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX 6GB Triple Channel Kit (1600, 8-8-8-24)
• HDD: 2X WD 1TB Caviar Black with 64MB Cache

I already have a 256MB ATI Graphics Card I might use unless I'm heaps better off to go Nvida and still need to find a rack case and PSU but I ordered the above parts today and start the build mid-week!

EarBud
04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I think (knock on wood) that my i7 950 project is complete. So far everything seems FAST and (more importantly for me) STABLE.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here on the i7 thread who answered all my boring newbie questions (you know who you are). And special thanks to Mykhal C for maintaining this thread!

The bottom line is that I couldn't have completed this project successfully without the help of everyone here.

Thanks again, and the best of luck to those just starting your first build. It's a little scary, but you'll learn a lot in the process.

Now - after MONTHS of down time - back to MUSIC!

amatueraudio
05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey all,

Mostly built now - just need to find my Pro Tools 8 disc haha...

For those using the UD3R Mobo - are you using the built-in firewire ports or have you used PCI add-ons..?

Thanks!

filosofem
05-06-2011, 12:00 AM
For those using the UD3R Mobo - are you using the built-in firewire ports or have you used PCI add-ons..?
Texas Instruments supplies the FireWire chipset on the GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. Apparently given that Texas Instruments is a Avid Audio supported manufacturer FireWire-based Pro Tools systems seem to work though not Qualified. Avid Audio Qualified FireWire PCI adapter is the SIIG NN-440012-S8 (http://www.siig.com/it-products/firewire/firewire-400/pci/firewire-3-port-pci-i-e.html) that also supports a Texas Instruments chipset. Ummm... when I ran a FireWire based Pro Tools system I used the SIIG PCI adapter with the GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. I'd recommend picking up that SIIG adapter.

timecode
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Well I have been struggling with getting my Windows native HD system with PT9 and OMNI up and running. Kept stalling at the DAE Loaded screen. I tried different PC's with different configs all with the same result. Lots of hair pulling etc. I even built my pc to one of the specs on the first post using the ASUS P6X58D-E to ensure compliance.

I found an obscure KB article which spoke about a PT8 and resetting the OMNI. I didn't pay much attention to it due to the fact it was different software version.

Well this is something that needs to be added to the front screen.

As soon as I reset my OMNI interface everything worked and loaded up nicely.

So if you are having issues loading PT9 HD and OMNI interface where it stalls at loading DAE - factory reset your OMNI.

I have seen many posts with this issue and trying to workaround it and it could be as simple as this.....:-)

HTH

philip888
05-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey all,

Mostly built now - just need to find my Pro Tools 8 disc haha...

Thanks!

I am using the built in firewire port on my system and have had no problems.

EGS
05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I am using the built in firewire port on my system and have had no problems.+1

filosofem
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
So if you are having issues loading PT9 HD and OMNI interface where it stalls at loading DAE - factory reset your OMNI.
Good post timecode.

filosofem
05-07-2011, 12:35 PM
GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 BIOS FG 2011.05.02 released.

EGS
05-07-2011, 12:48 PM
GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 BIOS FG 2011.05.02 released.Hmmmm... Any advantage with this update? I'm pretty sure mine is Rev 2 already, but probably an earlier version. I'm cautious to upgrade since it's working well. Please advise.

filosofem
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi EGS, BIOS FG supports 3TB+ HDD and includes accumulative BIOS Updates.

amatueraudio
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
You don't have to step upgrade, do you? Ya can just jump straight to that BIOS update without having to install the first one that's up there..?

filosofem
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi amatueraudio, yes that is correct. Either FF or FG BIOS Updates.

amatueraudio
05-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Great, thanks for that.

I seem to have graphics card issues with this build. Need to look back over the posts find a good (cheap) Nvidia haha.

filosofem
05-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series 512MB DDR3 PCIe 2.00 x16 works fine.

amatueraudio
05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Ordered an HP Nvidia Quadro NFS 290. They've updated the Nvidia drivers for 7x64 in the last couple days for those that missed it http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-win7-winvista-64bit-270.71-whql-driver.html

filosofem
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Keep us up to date with how that configuration works with the Quadro NFS 290 graphics card.

amatueraudio
05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Will do, it's the cheapest Avid-Qualified one so hopefully it works ok.

Platinum
05-09-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm putting together a DAW for my new music studio and am trying to get the best system I can for around $1000. I'll be using PT9 and an Mbox 3 Pro. After spending the day searching through the forums and some other sites, this is what I came up with:

Processor: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211) - $270
Motherboard:ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665) - $205
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311) - $85
Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059) - $45
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096) - $77
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $70
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333) - $21
OS/PT Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Driv (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795)e - $60
Audio Files Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533) - $90
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239) - $110
Backup Software: Acronis True Image Home 2011 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200022) - $40

Comes out to a grand total of about $1043 after rebates, plus taxes and shipping. Does this look like a good, stable build? Any suggested changes I should consider? Thanks for all your help!

amatueraudio
05-09-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm putting together a DAW for my new music studio and am trying to get the best system I can for around $1000. I'll be using PT9 and an Mbox 3 Pro. After spending the day searching through the forums and some other sites, this is what I came up with:

Processor: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211) - $270
Motherboard:ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665) - $205
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311) - $85
Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059) - $45
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096) - $77
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $70
Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333) - $21
OS/PT Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Driv (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795)e - $60
Audio Files Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533) - $90
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239) - $110
Backup Software: Acronis True Image Home 2011 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200022) - $40

Comes out to a grand total of about $1043 after rebates, plus taxes and shipping. Does this look like a good, stable build? Any suggested changes I should consider? Thanks for all your help!

Looks awesome! Most people on this forum use the Gigabyte mobo, but seen this one posted around a bit. With that board I'd triple channel the RAM based on what guys on this forum told me. 6GB in 3x2 would be more effective than 8GB dual I'm told.

Hope that's something!

Platinum
05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback amateuraudio! I'll change the RAM to G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223). Save a little cash that way too!

Asus seemed to have a slightly better reliability than Gigabyte plus I get 2 extra USB slots, so I went with that one, though they are pretty similar.

Thanks again for the input!

mykhal c
05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
ASUS or GIGA will get the job done!!! there are a number of DUCers that went with ASUS and are enjoyin' the same success that the GIGA users are enjoyin'. i think you'll be fine with your choice;)

filosofem
05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
ASUS or GIGA will get the job done!!! there are a number of DUCers that went with ASUS and are enjoyin' the same success that the GIGA users are enjoyin'. i think you'll be fine with your choice;)
Mykhal knows nothing, what he is talking about! :p

albee1952
05-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Too true. The only real difference is that some ASUS firewire ports don't like Pro Tools, while most Gigabyte firewire works(a $40 approved card solves that).

mykhal c
05-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Too true. The only real difference is that some ASUS firewire ports don't like Pro Tools, while most Gigabyte firewire works(a $40 approved card solves that).

brotha albee...i've posted this before but you are postin' some outdated info regardin' the ASUS mobo's onboard F/W ports my friend. the issues were waaaayyyyy back with the early P35 mobo's. this was when the P35 was shipping with either Agere or VIA chips. the VIA chips presented the problems and the Agere did not...which i have on my ASUS P35 Deluxe Wifi mobo. NEVER had an issue since i built it. the ASUS mobo's with X58 chips don't and haven't had any onboard F/W issues that presented problems for PT. we gotta put this urban myth to rest bro. just sayin'...;)

and if you are talkin' about the 4yr old P35 mobo's then i stand corrected.

Platinum
05-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Just pulled out the credit card and sent the order through on Newegg along with a new 22" monitor. Can't wait for the boxes to start arriving!

albee1952
05-10-2011, 06:57 AM
brotha albee...i've posted this before but you are postin' some outdated info regardin' the ASUS mobo's onboard F/W ports my friend. the issues were waaaayyyyy back with the early P35 mobo's. this was when the P35 was shipping with either Agere or VIA chips. the VIA chips presented the problems and the Agere did not...which i have on my ASUS P35 Deluxe Wifi mobo. NEVER had an issue since i built it. the ASUS mobo's with X58 chips don't and haven't had any onboard F/W issues that presented problems for PT. we gotta put this urban myth to rest bro. just sayin'...;)

and if you are talkin' about the 4yr old P35 mobo's then i stand corrected.
Well.....I did say "some"...but I hear ya. I looked at the Asus boards too and firewire really didn't enter into the thought process(but I won't mention it again anyway):D To Platinum......you only odered ONE 22" screen:eek:(I can't live without 2, and many users are running 3 or 4......I think I have monitor envy):cool:

mykhal c
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Well.....I did say "some"...but I hear ya. I looked at the Asus boards too and firewire really didn't enter into the thought process(but I won't mention it again anyway):D To Platinum......you only odered ONE 22" screen:eek:(I can't live without 2, and many users are running 3 or 4......I think I have monitor envy):cool:

thanks bro. just wanna keep our message on-point as much as possible in our i7 thread;)

Platinum
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Yep Albee, only one for now - that's all that will fit on the desk at the moment! Besides, I figure there's always room to grow down the road - once my credit card recovers from this little adventure. :)

albee1952
05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep Albee, only one for now - that's all that will fit on the desk at the moment! Besides, I figure there's always room to grow down the road - once my credit card recovers from this little adventure. :)
Well obviously you need a bigger desk:D:D:D

amatueraudio
05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey all,

Sorry for the annoying posts haha, but I got my Windows 7 Disc through work and it's Ultimate 64 Bit... Is this gonna be trouble?

Tried Googling the DUC but there wasn't a lot of info I could find. Thanks a lot!

mykhal c
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey all,

Sorry for the annoying posts haha, but I got my Windows 7 Disc through work and it's Ultimate 64 Bit... Is this gonna be trouble?

Tried Googling the DUC but there wasn't a lot of info I could find. Thanks a lot!

you're good:-)

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Hey again all,

So far have updated the BIOS and installed Windows. Went to the Gigabyte Website to download the drivers for the motherboard. Followed the list Aaron posted earlier showing which files NOT to download. Have installed Nvidia Driver, Intel INF Driver, USB3 Driver, etc but have now run into a problem. The realtek Ethernet driver will not install... Says FindFile Failed and XCopyFile Failed. Further to this, the Intel SATA RAID Driver (iata_cd) will not install, saying 'This Computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software'.

I'm wondering what I've done wrong here... The other drivers (with the exception of GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy,which I can't figure out how to install) were fine. Is this the problem, is there a specific install order?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
Hayden

mykhal c
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Hey again all,

So far have updated the BIOS and installed Windows. Went to the Gigabyte Website to download the drivers for the motherboard. Followed the list Aaron posted earlier showing which files NOT to download. Have installed Nvidia Driver, Intel INF Driver, USB3 Driver, etc but have now run into a problem. The realtek Ethernet driver will not install... Says FindFile Failed and XCopyFile Failed. Further to this, the Intel SATA RAID Driver (iata_cd) will not install, saying 'This Computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software'.

I'm wondering what I've done wrong here... The other drivers (with the exception of GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy,which I can't figure out how to install) were fine. Is this the problem, is there a specific install order?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
Hayden

the easiest way to install AHCI drivers is to already have your bios setup that way BEFORE you install W7 and have them installed durin' the W7 installation. otherwise you're gonna have to jump thru some hoops to install it after your windows install...ie you have to change certain parms in the registry. and my personal advice is to use AHCI instead of IDE. it allows use of NCQ and hot-swapping. if you've only gone as far as the W7 installation then, again my advice, is to re-install W7 makin' sure BEFOREHAND that all your bios settings are correct and as you need them...ie AHCI instead of IDE. it's the easiest procedure. if you do not wanna do that then i have posted the instructions on how to do it after W7 has been installed somewhere in this thread. i have no idea where to point you to here in the thread...maybe a search of AHCI...but i'm sure that'll turn up waaaayyyy too many hits. anyway, hope that helps. not sure how to advise you on the other drivers.

filosofem
05-14-2011, 02:16 PM
amatueraudio, following up on those drivers issues, did you pull them from the Asia server? I find that server works best down under. Ummm... I wonder if that Realtek LAN Driver is corrupt. You could use the supplied CD-ROM Realtek LAN Driver.

GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) before GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver and also install Intel SATA RAID Driver.

Don't forget to disable Azalia audio chip in the BIOS.

filosofem
05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
amatueraudio, what BIOS revision are you running? FG has been pulled. If so roll it back to FF.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Reinstalling Windows isn't the end of the world, if you think that's best I'd rather do that NOW than later. As far as reinstalling Windows goes I'm pretty out of my depth, I'd just boot it from the disc again? Would I have to rip out the system drive and reboot? I'm just not sure how to go about this so I can update ACHI.

So as it stands, I go into the BIOS and set the drives to ACHI, then install Windows, then install the other drivers in Windows? Or should I do everything like RAM timings and the other BIOS Settings for the Giga board from the first page?

Sorry - BIOS does my head in and I haven't been able to find a more detailed BIOS setup guide for this board for use with PT.

Really appreciate your help!

H

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
amatueraudio, what BIOS revision are you running? FG has been pulled. If so roll it back to FF.

FF Aaron, waited it out a couple days to see if they fixed the size difference issue, then saw they pulled it so went with FF.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
amatueraudio, following up on those drivers issues, did you pull them from the Asia server? I find that server works best down under. Ummm... I wonder if that Realtek LAN Driver is corrupt. You could use the supplied CD-ROM Realtek LAN Driver.

GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) before GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver and also install Intel SATA RAID Driver.

Don't forget to disable Azalia audio chip in the BIOS.

Hey, yes all files from Asia Server.
The Realtek Driver I'll sort last I think, it's not of huge concern as I dont have a network or internet connection in play.

The Preinstall driver concerns me. I didn't install it because I couldn't find out how to, but I'm pretty sure I've installed GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver.

Is that the issue maybe?

Zarabozo
05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Hello All,

Just to share my config. It's not an i7 setup, but a dual Xeon Hexacore.

The Xeon 56xx Series share the same core technology that i7 980x has. The main difference is the ability to work in a dual processor configuration (Xeon can communicate with another processor directly while i7 can't). The Intel X5680 Xeon processor is exactly as powerfull as the i7 980x, for example. I'm using the X5650, which is only 2.66 Ghz but costed me half the price of the X5680. The following is my setup:

Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6
Processors: 2 x Intel X5650 (12 cores 24 threads total)
RAM: 24 GB (6 modules of 4GB Kingston 1333 ECC Registered Gold)
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB GDDR5 (using 2 HP monitors 24'' 1920 x 1200 each)
OS Disk: Kingston SSD Now V+ 60GB
Media Disk: WD Velociraptor Sata3 (6GB/s via SAS) 10,000 RPM 600GB
...and much more hardware that doesn't matter for this subject.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
ProTools 9.0.2 with CPTK2
My interface: Eleven Rack (I'm about to change it for the new MBox Pro DSP accelerated with 8 I/O channels)

All the Windows optimizations (except for disabling network cards) are done.

My result with the Dverb test: 464 dverbs.

I'm using the DVerb that PT9 comes with, so I'm assuming it's the DVerb 2. I'd love if someone could send me the DVerb 1 file to give it a try too.

Also, this is a limited result and not a real one based on this machine's power. I have opened a thread here (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300747) informing about my issue: PT9 only uses 16 of my 24 threads. I'm sure that if Avid comes up with a fix to this, my result will be much higher.

Now, for anyone wondering about the performance, I don't have a single problem besides the one I just mentioned. PT9 works amazingly well, with rock solid stability. My 10k RPM Velociraptor disk also helps me have all my PT settings set to use the biggest times for I/O and sample buffers without PT ever complaining about not being able to get the audio from the disk fast enough.

I generally work with really big sessions (lots of channels, lots of RTAS, lots of subs - 256 aux available with CPTK2 - and I like to work on 96k @ 24bit). This was originally the reason I wanted to build what I considered a really stable and powerful machine (as stable and powerful as a the server build it really is). This was truly the first machine that is able to keep up with my kind of sessions without being an HD setup.

Mykhal C asked me to share this experience on this thread. As soon as Avid (if ever) resolves the issue I mentioned, I think about opening a new thread dedicated to Dual Xeon builds, Specs and Results. :-)

Cheers! :D

Francisco Zarabozo

mykhal c
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Reinstalling Windows isn't the end of the world, if you think that's best I'd rather do that NOW than later. As far as reinstalling Windows goes I'm pretty out of my depth, I'd just boot it from the disc again? Would I have to rip out the system drive and reboot? I'm just not sure how to go about this so I can update ACHI.

So as it stands, I go into the BIOS and set the drives to ACHI then install Windows, then install the other drivers in Windows? Or should I do everything like RAM timings and the other BIOS Settings for the Giga board from the first page?

Sorry - BIOS does my head in and I haven't been able to find a more detailed BIOS setup guide for this board for use with PT.

Really appreciate your help!

H

make the change in the bios to AHCI. then boot up from DVD and do a fresh/full install. after the install if you get the BSOD on boot-up then you'll know the AHCI drivers were not installed properly. but i don't think you'll encounter that IMO...

filosofem
05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
The Preinstall driver concerns me. I didn't install it because I couldn't find out how to, but I'm pretty sure I've installed GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver.
You need the Pre-installer for ACHI. Anything else like RAID can be disabled at the BIOS level. This includes LAN controllers as there have been reports of playback errors relating to LAN. So, if you're not using it, disable it.

mykhal c
05-14-2011, 04:08 PM
i'm not exactly sure what the Pre-installer driver stuff is but i would think everythin' you need for ACHI, in order to boot up is available, on the W7 installer disc. then once you've booted up you can go back and update the generic-type ACHI driver to the GIGA specific one.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Changed everything in the BOIS from IDE to ACHI that I could see and did a fresh install of Windows. Windows seems fine but I saw a message 'Disk not found' while it was booting... Should I be worried?

Do I need to install all the same drivers from the Giga website or are there more that I omit now that this setting has been changed.?

Also does anyone know how to install the Preinstall driver? There's no exe...

Thanks again!

filosofem
05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Changed everything in the BOIS from IDE to ACHI that I could see and did a fresh install of Windows. Windows seems fine but I saw a message 'Disk not found' while it was booting... Should I be worried?
BIOS should look something like this filoswerk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDQhHl3R6ps) note ACHI location.

filosofem
05-14-2011, 07:47 PM
As soon as Avid (if ever) resolves the issue I mentioned, I think about opening a new thread dedicated to Dual Xeon builds, Specs and Results. :-)
Hi Francisco, yeah do it. Soon HEDT Waimea Bay platforms (Sandy Bridge-E processors and Patsburg PCH) are going to be on their way. Meaning if Pro Tools can not address 6-Core or more platsforms plus RAM limitations, we're up sh*t creek without a paddle.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Aaron - thanks for that, that was of huge help. I have 2 differences in my BIOS from yours. First XMP is disabled as my RAM doesn't support XMP. Secondly in CMOS my IDE Channel 4 Master has a hard drive in it rather than the Optical Drive. Is this an error in the way I have the Drives arranged in the ports?

Thanks!

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Huzzah! After BIOS changes it boots! Albeit slower than at first... Just need to figure what on earth this preinstall driver actually is and if I have to install it before Windows and how to do it etc before I move on to installing any drivers. Trawling the web. No-one seems to know what it is, what it does or how to install it!
Then I have to figure out why one of my hard drives has disappeared from SANDRA.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Oops - not SANDRA I meant Windows. Only the system drive is showing up. I'm scared this is due to the inconsistencey I saw with Aaron's BIOS. Hopefully not a big issue.

Starting to wonder why I started trying this to begin with! :p

mykhal c
05-14-2011, 08:52 PM
bottom line...unless the version of your GIGA mobo is totally fubarred in some way there is NO reason you have to install this Pre-install driver stuff you are so worried about. W7 is designed to install on any properly configured system and boot up...PERIOD!!!;) once you have booted up then go into device manager, look for question marks or exclamations, update that device by pointin' to the drivers on your GIGA mobo CD or goin' to the site and gettin' the latest and greatest. hope that helps.

filosofem
05-14-2011, 09:04 PM
your GIGA mobo CD or goin' to the site and gettin' the latest and greatest.
Good point Mykhal. You can't go wrong with your mofo CD. I mean mobo.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice - thanks for that. I might just do all the updates from the web minus the preinstall driver and the other omissions Aaron mentioned. As far as the disappearing HDD goes - do ya think it'll make a comeback after the drivers are installed?

Sorry about this guys - clearly I bit off more than I can chew here. Your help really is appreciated! Sometimes I should remember that I'm a drummer - not an IT Guru. Thank goodness I have you guys!

mykhal c
05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
also..you REALLY need to take the time and set your bios settings properly. you will find yourself in PT frustration land, wonderin' why your powerful i7, is not performin' like other builds do with PT. AUTO settings, while they ARE the safest, are NOT gonna run PT9 efficiently. and that's bein' real real!!!;)

EDIT: and i should be clear here...i'm NOT talkin' about ALL AUTO settings. in your case i'm specifically talkin' about RAM settings/timings.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I've copied my BIOS settings straight off of screenshots of filosofem's BIOS. The RAM timings I have set on auto at the moment. I need to search out how to manually set my RAM's timings.

The drivers are my biggest concern at the moment I'm pretty sure. I'm hoping that once I install them everything will show up again.

I'll keep ya posted!

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 11:18 PM
EDIT: and i should be clear here...i'm NOT talkin' about ALL AUTO settings. in your case i'm specifically talkin' about RAM settings/timings.

OK, I've got all drivers installed and working now from what I can tell. I'm going through the BIOS now and gonna set all my RAM timings manually to the number next to [AUTO], all of what's in the RAM's spec sheet seems to match those numbers in the BIOS. Fingers crossed this is the correct way to do it! I figure I can always change back to AUTO if I get it wrong.

amatueraudio
05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
OK, tried manually setting RAM timings the way I previously mentioned (Setting what I could from the spec sheet, and leaving the rest at the number it read in the BIOS) and it REALLY didn't like this. Beeped a great deal when I booted it and came up with a Boot Failure message saying the RAM could have failed because of overclocking or voltage issues. It's KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX RAM, which I know is 1600, but I was told it'd be OK to use on this forum. Anu ideas..?

filosofem
05-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Is your rig working under Auto?

amatueraudio
05-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Boots with auto now as have XMP enabled (swapped RAM) I'm told I don't need to touch the timings with XMP enabled - is that right?

Only problem now is that I installed PTLE8 with no Quicktime. I used Control Panel to try and remove it, then when reinstalling it came up with an Error that vanished before I could note it down. Now I get the BSOD when I try and load PT, after the Plugs are processed it shuts the whole comp down. Sigh.

amatueraudio
05-15-2011, 01:26 AM
OK uninstalled again this time using the included Pro Tools Uninstaller. Error message when trying to reinstall is:
'This version of Microsoft Windows does not support this operation. occoured in . \CopyInf.ccp at line number:383 Other Error 10 Internal Operation :200'

The first time I installed it found the 002 when I connected it. The following times it hasn't. I can't think of what else to do haha.

mykhal c
05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Boots with auto now as have XMP enabled (swapped RAM) I'm told I don't need to touch the timings with XMP enabled - is that right?

yes. if you have XMP enabled AND are usin' a 'profile' that is tied to your ram then you should be good.

amatueraudio
05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
yes. if you have XMP enabled AND are usin' a 'profile' that is tied to your ram then you should be good.

Yep, sure am!

I read up on this Blue Screen of Death error when trying to install. Looking like a reinstall of Windows will actually be easier than the fix for it! AT least I haven't done any Windows tweaks apart from drivers yet. So tonight it'll be (another) Windows reinstall and driver reinstall, then trying to get PTLE8 installed and working with no BSOD!

filosofem
05-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Perhaps, Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) would be worth the investment.

amatueraudio
05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
You're right haha it probably would be . Have more than blown the budget for the month so might have to wait a bit. Pretty confident that I can get it stable this time around. DIY as but that's half the fun!

mykhal c
05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
some sorta cloning/imaging program should be at the top of the list IMHO. it can really save your azz;). also don't forget to save your bios settings in a profile...that can save your azz too:D

filosofem
05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
also don't forget to save your bios settings in a profile...that can save your azz too:D
:-)

mykhal c
05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
;):D

amatueraudio
05-15-2011, 06:30 PM
also don't forget to save your bios settings in a profile...that can save your azz too:D

Thankfully I've done that much! Based on Aaron's BIOS. Still have an HDD showing up in CMOS where his Optical Drive does which is doing my head in. Still seems to work ok, but be the controllers I'm using vs Aarons... Which it'll probably be his are right, mine arent haha.

mykhal c
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Thankfully I've done that much! Based on Aaron's BIOS. Still have an HDD showing up in CMOS where his Optical Drive does which is doing my head in. Still seems to work ok, but be the controllers I'm using vs Aarons... Which it'll probably be his are right, mine arent haha.

but are you usin' the same SATA ports for the same, exact devices that Aaron's usin'?? IOW, maybe he's got an optical drive plugged into that port and you don't...

filosofem
05-15-2011, 07:10 PM
SATA 0-5. Optical is down the line.

mykhal c
05-15-2011, 07:17 PM
not sure i follow...if that's directed to me....

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 01:32 AM
SATA 0-5. Optical is down the line.

I have my optical drive in 2, front i/o in 1, Audio Drive in 6 and System Drive in 5.

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Man, talk about one step forward two steps back. Trying to do a clean install of Windows. Couldn't get it to work, whenever I specified for it to boot from disc, it would just load normally. So I took the HDD's out of the boot priority completely, still boots from HDD rather that disc, just veeeeeeery slow to load Windows. I've opened the disc from within Windows, but it hasn't given me the option of formatting the drive of course which is what I really wanna do. I decided to put Windows on a new HDD, so got a new one out of the box and snapped the power connector off it trying to connect it to SATA power.

I'm pretty sure this has beaten me haha. :eek:

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Yay! Now have Windows clean installed and performing well with the BIOS changes set (way better than last install). Drivers installed, most up to date and PTLE installed with my 002r with no errors.

I can't get PT to load though, just get the BSOD when loading Pro Tools.
Have tried all drivers for the built-in firewire port. Have installed another firewire card but it gets BSOD as well, admitedly later on and after PT loads MUCH faster.

Have tried legacy drivers on both cards. Is there an update to the UD3R Mobo's Texas Instruments FW driver? I can't find one anywhere...

Zarabozo
05-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello Mykhal C!

Did you see I posted my specs as you wanted?

I want to know, are you able to email me the DVerb version 1? I want to give it a try too in the test. Is that possible? :-)

Cheers,

Francisco

mykhal c
05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Hello Mykhal C!

Did you see I posted my specs as you wanted?

I want to know, are you able to email me the DVerb version 1? I want to give it a try too in the test. Is that possible? :-)

Cheers,

Francisco

hey Francisco. yes and thanks very much for postin'. i'll get it on page 1 at some point today.;) when you say DVERB 1 are you just talkin' about the PT 7.4 and early DVERB that were used in the early testin'? if so, then yes i can grab it when i go to the studio today and make it available for you via my dropbox. lemme know. thanks again.

filosofem
05-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Couldn't get it to work, whenever I specified for it to boot from disc, it would just load normally.
Boot Menu.

filosofem
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Is there an update to the UD3R Mobo's Texas Instruments FW driver?
I haven't seen one about. You may need to invest in a SIIG FW Adapter. But before you do that can you launch Pro Tools with a ASIO device attached?

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey Aaron,

Figured the Boot Menu Problem out, my monitor cuts off some of the BIOS instructions so the 'Press Enter to Boot From CD' wasn't visable.

D'oh!

As far as the BSOD goes, I have done yet another clean install of Windows, as I had the 002 plugged in when installing PTLE 8.0.

Installing PLTE 8.0 again now, gonna run 8.0.5 updater (if it will ever let me download it, keeps stopping at like 2mb) with the 002 plugged in as per Avid's guide and see if I can successfully open Pro Tools.

If that fails, I might manually update the 002 drivers and the Pace driver. Hopefully that will work.

At the moment, I'm twiddling my thumbs until I can figure out how to get this download for 8.0.5 to work, heaps of people here seem to have had this issue but can't find a real fix anywhere.

Thanks once again!

filosofem
05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Is Pro Tools 9 not an option? amatueraudio

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I have LE8 at the moment. I will upgrade to 9 when I have a bit more spare cash, but can't justify the extra $400 or so for a DIY project studio.

amatueraudio
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Ooooooook, some improvement (touch wood). After running the update to PT 8.0.5 plugging the 002 in when asked to, I am able to get into Pro Tools. Registered, recorded a couple test tracks, everything went smooth as you like. Gonna do the Windows optimisations now and try load up some full mixes to see what it makes of 'em.

Wish me luck!

mano111
05-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Zarabozo (Francisco) for posting the working dual Xeon (1366 AFAIK), and despite the limitation he has on using only 16 cores (see his thread (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300747)) I can tell it kiks a$$.

Still I'm left wondering why the Xeons fall behind when it comes to raw performance when compared to desktop machines? look at i7 980X (or even the cheaper i7 970 that is available now). The Dual XEON based system probably costs ~$4K+, yet it has only a very slight lead over systems that go for about $1K and is not as powerfull as 2K desktop.

I've seen it before on 3D workstations and Avid Media Composer, and now on PT. Is it only clock speed and RAM speed or is there more to it?

I quoted some scores from the first page for comparison:
Dual Xeon X5650, i7 980X, i7 2600K and i7 950. The quad i7s are both OCed so maybe its a bit unfair?..Nahh its fair.:eek: BIOS is part of the system. :p

Zarabozo - 1st posted/workin' dual socket Xeon DIY build (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1794031&postcount=4319) - even tho this thread is dedicated to the i7 i thought it was worth the post since it's the first that i can recall after my 9+ yrs on the DUC....Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6, Processors: 2 x Intel X5650 (12 cores 24 threads total), RAM: 24 GB (6 modules of 4GB Kingston 1333 ECC Registered Gold), Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB GDDR5, OS Disk: Kingston SSD Now V+ 60GB, Media Disk: WD Velociraptor Sata3 (6GB/s via SAS) 10,000 RPM 600GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1, ProTools 9.0.2 with CPTK2, Eleven Rack, Dverb test: 464 dverbs.

rickthestick - Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Intel i7 980X, Noctua NH-D14, Asus P6X58D Premium, Kingston HyperX 12 GB DDR 1600, GeForce 9800GT 1GB Silent, Intel X25-M 160GB SSD, 3) WD 1TB Black, Plextor PX-880SA, Seasonic X-750, Digi 003 w/ version 8.03cs2 DVERB test: at 64 samples, 58 to 60% CPU usage, 348 dverbs, 487 @1024 buffer...using all 12 cores!!!

mano - PTLE 8.0.4cs2, i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz, Intel DP67BG motherboard, G- Skill 8GB DDR3 1600, Crucial C300 SATA3 SSD - system drive, Samsung F3 1TB - audio drive, Nvidia Geforce 8500, Termalright Ultra Extreme 120, Antec P-150 case, Seasonic S12II 520 PSU, 003R, @1024=448 Dverbs, @64=310 Dverbs.
(mano gives us the 1st workin'/posted build with the i7 2600/1155 socket/P67 chipset!!! (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61425&p=532229#p532229)) way to continue blazin' the trail mano!!!

remis - PT9, Mbox 2 Pro, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter....W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024

Zarabozo
05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks Zarabozo (Francisco) for posting the working dual Xeon (1366 AFAIK), and despite the limitation he has on using only 16 cores (see his thread (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300747)) I can tell it kiks a$$.

Still I'm left wondering why the Xeons fall behind when it comes to raw performance when compared to desktop machines? look at i7 980X (or even the cheaper i7 970 that is available now). The Dual XEON based system probably costs ~$4K+, yet it has only a very slight lead over systems that go for about $1K and is not as powerfull as 2K desktop.

It's actually a matter of clock. For RTAS more than anything else, that's very important. If I had the X5680 instead of the X5650, I would have much higher results. The X5680 has the same speed as the i7 980 xtreme. Also, the problem with PT using only 16 cores leaves 8 cores unused. I mean, 8 CORES! That would be a 50% improvement. I should get arround 696 DVberbs with my 24 threads enabled. And, if I was using the X5680, which has 37% more speed on the clock, it should also have an aditional 37% of improvement.

Also, overclocking is not such a good idea. An overclocked processor tends to deliver garbage data when reaching certain temperatures and when reaching certain limits on its cycles. You might notice or not that garbage data, depending on where it is happening in the process. Not to mention you reduce the processor's life at least 50%.

One very important difference on using a server confioguration like a dual Xeon, is that you're not overclocking anything and you are using ECC Registered ram. That's reliable data/stability improved in more than 50% over a regular desktop computer, not to mention over an overclocked desktop.

Currently there are some Xeon processors with more speed than the X5680, and others with 10 cores/20 threads each. You do the math. They're VERY expensive, but imagine 40 threads enabled on ProTools. I'm sure you would reach first your track limit (even with CPTK) before even reaching a DVerb limit on a test. :-)

Francisco

mykhal c
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Wow!!! the only thing i can say is a disagree with just about everythin' you just posted.

first, PT does NOT scale as you describe when goin' to a faster clock or more cores. i cannot recall exactly the numbers that my testin' yielded some years back but it definitely was not the 1 for 1 you just described.

garbage data on an OC'd rig???!!! HUH??? i've been OC'g my Q6600 since day one...no problems once i locked in my stable/sweet spot.

as many years as cats have been buildin' desktops for PT, claimin' a server build is gonna provide more stability...can't sell me on that one. how do you get more stable than 24/7???

mykhal c
05-17-2011, 11:04 AM

I've seen it before on 3D workstations and Avid Media Composer, and now on PT. Is it only clock speed and RAM speed or is there more to it?

I quoted some scores from the first page for comparison:
Dual Xeon X5650, i7 980X, i7 2600K and i7 950. The quad i7s are both OCed so maybe its a bit unfair?..Nahh its fair.:eek: BIOS is part of the system. :p

i hear ya mano. my 'educated' guess is the cross-talk between the cpus when compared to the IMC and QPI points to the minimal performance gains...and as you mentioned the clock and ram speed. whatever it is, it certainly does not command the cash that it requires to build one IMHO....but that's just me ;)

mano111
05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Wow!!! the only thing i can say is a disagree with just about everythin' you just posted.

first, PT does NOT scale as you describe when goin' to a faster clock or more cores. i cannot recall exactly the numbers that my testin' yielded some years back but it definitely was not the 1 for 1 you just described.

garbage data on an OC'd rig???!!! HUH??? i've been OC'g my Q6600 since day one...no problems once i locked in my stable/sweet spot.

as many years as cats have been buildin' desktops for PT, claimin' a server build is gonna provide more stability...can't sell me on that one. how do you get more stable than 24/7???

True mykhal, I've seen some very stable desktops run OCed 24/7. If it's cooled well and powered with a good PSU it can go for years. Massive overvolting is what may cause a CPU to shorten its life, still I have yet to see an Intel CPU die. It's motherboards that take the hit more likely.

I think crosstalk you mentioned is a good point.

mykhal c
05-17-2011, 12:04 PM
True mykhal, I've seen some very stable desktops run OCed 24/7. If it's cooled well and powered with a good PSU it can go for years. Massive overvolting is what may cause a CPU to shorten its life, still I have yet to see an Intel CPU die. It's motherboards that take the hit more likely.

I think crosstalk you mentioned is a good point.

exactly mano!!! i OC my rig to 3.2 and run my voltage at 1.1875 instead of the 1.2275 that my specific cpu is designed to run at. this is why i harp on AUTO settings so much here. when one doesn't know what their rig is doin' (under AUTO settings) how can one know what to address??? and totally agree with you on what may cause shorten a cpu life span. it ain't gonna be a tweaked out FSB or BCLK!!!;) it's gonna be voltage related IMHO...as you said;)

Zarabozo
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Mykhal,

Stability on data terms goes far beyond having a program running 24/7. I'm not just talking what I believe, but what I've studied, tested, benchmarked. I'm a computing engineer. Graduated college engineer, not the kind of engineer that is just called an engineer.

Not one trustable company runs critical data or processes over an overclocked CPU. Not even the ones that require high speed on each process. As I said before, an overclocled CPU can return garbage data. That's not me, not my personal opinion, it's a prooven fact. You can see it or not, the application you run can survive it (at least on what a person can just see/hear), or could simply be noticeable (in the case of PT, can go from slowness or slight distortions to system crashes). Modern software frameworks evaluate the data returned by other processes and try to reprocess the same block when corrupted data is received. You won't see anything about it, but your process get definitely slower, if it survives constant data corruption.

Why on earth would a respected IT department spend 50k on servers instead of just spending 5k on overclocked i7's? They're just silly? They have deep pockets and they love spending money? Or is it that they have hired experts on infrastructure, even on limited budgets?

RTAS definitly depend on processing speed. The more RTAS enabled, the more processing tasks per second. Being a timeline with a fixed progress (realtime audio), it's just something that cannot be paused for a moment. If you're testing with overclocked processors the improvement you get when the speed improves, you are probably testing the wrong way. You're pushing a processor to the limit, to the point where it apparently cannot take anymore. If data corruption occurs because of that, and data blocks needs reprocessing, you're not getting reliable results in your test. The same applies to regular unbuffered unregistered ram.

If as you said, the only thing you can say is that you disagree with everything I just said, well... then maybe there's no point on saying anything I know by profession. I mean, if all statements here are just reduced to merely empirical experience.

Cheers,

Francisco

mykhal c
05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Mykhal,

Stability on data terms goes far beyond having a program running 24/7. I'm not just talking what I believe, but what I've studied, tested, benchmarked. I'm a computing engineer. Graduated college engineer, not the kind of engineer that is just called an engineer.

Not one trustable company runs critical data or processes over an overclocked CPU. Not even the ones that require high speed on each process. As I said before, an overclocled CPU can return garbage data. That's not me, not my personal opinion, it's a prooven fact. You can see it or not, the application you run can survive it (at least on what a person can just see/hear), or could simply be noticeable (in the case of PT, can go from slowness or slight distortions to system crashes). Modern software frameworks evaluate the data returned by other processes and try to reprocess the same block when corrupted data is received. You won't see anything about it, but your process get definitely slower, if it survives constant data corruption.

Why on earth would a respected IT department spend 50k on servers instead of just spending 5k on overclocked i7's? They're just silly? They have deep pockets and they love spending money? Or is it that they have hired experts on infrastructure, even on limited budgets?

RTAS definitly depend on processing speed. The more RTAS enabled, the more processing tasks per second. Being a timeline with a fixed progress (realtime audio), it's just something that cannot be paused for a moment. If you're testing with overclocked processors the improvement you get when the speed improves, you are probably testing the wrong way. You're pushing a processor to the limit, to the point where it apparently cannot take anymore. If data corruption occurs because of that, and data blocks needs reprocessing, you're not getting reliable results in your test. The same applies to regular unbuffered unregistered ram.

If as you said, the only thing you can say is that you disagree with everything I just said, well... then maybe there's no point on saying anything I know by profession. I mean, if all statements here are just reduced to merely empirical experience.

Cheers,

Francisco

hey Francisco...not here to question your personal nor professional experience. just statin' my experience. and there are more than a few here, runnin' full service commercial studios usin' OC (i7 or C2Q) desktops with no issues. i'll let them chime in if they choose to. and 24/7 in my case means successful, professional results while runnin' 24/7...not 'merely' runnin' 24/7. i just assumed we were on the same page with that understanding.

the good thing about PT is that if it cannot get a sample of audio cleanly and accurately it will bitch and kick a 9xxx error...this is the fail-safe...tho many bitch about it.

lastly, for those of us that build, the good thing is we can choose whatever fits our wallet and our desire. you no doubt have chosen what works for you, as have others;)

Zarabozo
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Hello All,

Just to share my config. It's not an i7 setup, but a dual Xeon Hexacore.

The Xeon 56xx Series share the same core technology that i7 980x has. The main difference is the ability to work in a dual processor configuration (Xeon can communicate with another processor directly while i7 can't). The Intel X5680 Xeon processor is exactly as powerfull as the i7 980x, for example. I'm using the X5650, which is only 2.66 Ghz but costed me half the price of the X5680. The following is my setup:

Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6
Processors: 2 x Intel X5650 (12 cores 24 threads total)
RAM: 24 GB (6 modules of 4GB Kingston 1333 ECC Registered Gold)
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB GDDR5 (using 2 HP monitors 24'' 1920 x 1200 each)
OS Disk: Kingston SSD Now V+ 60GB
Media Disk: WD Velociraptor Sata3 (6GB/s via SAS) 10,000 RPM 600GB
...and much more hardware that doesn't matter for this subject.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
ProTools 9.0.2 with CPTK2
My interface: Eleven Rack (I'm about to change it for the new MBox Pro DSP accelerated with 8 I/O channels)

All the Windows optimizations (except for disabling network cards) are done.

My result with the Dverb test: 464 dverbs.

I'm using the DVerb that PT9 comes with, so I'm assuming it's the DVerb 2. I'd love if someone could send me the DVerb 1 file to give it a try too.

Also, this is a limited result and not a real one based on this machine's power. I have opened a thread here (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300747) informing about my issue: PT9 only uses 16 of my 24 threads. I'm sure that if Avid comes up with a fix to this, my result will be much higher.

Now, for anyone wondering about the performance, I don't have a single problem besides the one I just mentioned. PT9 works amazingly well, with rock solid stability. My 10k RPM Velociraptor disk also helps me have all my PT settings set to use the biggest times for I/O and sample buffers without PT ever complaining about not being able to get the audio from the disk fast enough.

I generally work with really big sessions (lots of channels, lots of RTAS, lots of subs - 256 aux available with CPTK2 - and I like to work on 96k @ 24bit). This was originally the reason I wanted to build what I considered a really stable and powerful machine (as stable and powerful as a the server build it really is). This was truly the first machine that is able to keep up with my kind of sessions without being an HD setup.

Mykhal C asked me to share this experience on this thread. As soon as Avid (if ever) resolves the issue I mentioned, I think about opening a new thread dedicated to Dual Xeon builds, Specs and Results. :-)

Cheers! :D

Francisco Zarabozo

Hello All!

My DVerb test result has raised to 641 DVerbs. :-) You can read about it on this post (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=1796034&posted=1#post1796034).

Cheers,

Francisco

RQQST3R
05-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I am looking at putting a new dedicated system together for my Ultra 8R

Intel S1366 DX58SO Motherboard
Intel S1366 Core i7 960 3.2GHz Quad Core CPU
DDR3 12GB Corsair 1600Mhz Dominator RAM Triple Channel Kit
80GB Kingston SSDNow M-Series Solid State Drive (system drive)
600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000rpm SATA HDD (session drive)
1TB Western Digital FBYX 7200rpm 64M SATA HDD 24x7 (storage)
Antec CP-850W Power Supply
Antec P183 V3 Performance One Full ATX Case (No PS)
NVIDIA GTS450 1GB EVGA PCIe Video Card

Any suggestions to keep this around to $2K mark

Pro-lyphony
05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Greetings,

I am custom building my first computer and am currently looking at getting:

PT9; Windows 7; i7-990X Extreme Edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115079&Tpk=i7-990X%20Extreme%20Edition);Asus ATX P6X58D-E Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641&cm_re=Asus_ATX_P6X58D-E_Motherboard-_-13-131-641-_-Product); Corsair HX Series CMPSU-1000HX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007&Tpk=Corsair%20HX%20Series%20CMPSU-1000HX); EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX460 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591&Tpk=EVGA%2001G-P3-1366-TR%20GeForce%20GTX460); Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB ST21500341AS (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200RPM-Internal-ST31500341AS-Bare/dp/B00066IJPQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306028763&sr=8-2-fkmr0) (X2); Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0880-Express-Blaster-Titanium/dp/B001E25KDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306028923&sr=1-1); 12GB RAM Corsair XMS3 HX3X12G1600C9 G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145235&Tpk=12GB%20RAM%20Corsair%20XMS3%20HX3X12G1600C9%20 G); LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335); HAF 932 RC-932-KKN5-GP Tower (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=HAF_932_Full_Tower-_-11-119-160-_-Product)

Feedback (corrections/suggestions) appreciated, thanks.

Cheers.
Pro-lyphony

filosofem
05-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Intel S1366 DX58SO Motherboard
DDR3 12GB Corsair 1600Mhz Dominator RAM Triple Channel Kit

Triple Channel will not work with the Intel DX58SO motherboard. Apparently, you can only use three out of four DIMM Slots available. Perhaps, you consider GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 motherboard as it supports 6x DIMM Slots Triple Channel configurations.

The Weed
05-21-2011, 08:05 PM
80GB Kingston SSDNow M-Series Solid State Drive (system drive)
600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000rpm SATA HDD (session drive)

You could save some money and just go with two Western Digital Caviar Black 64 mb cache SATA III drives for OS and Pro Tools sessions.

Cheers,

filosofem
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Asus ATX P6X58D-E Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641&cm_re=Asus_ATX_P6X58D-E_Motherboard-_-13-131-641-_-Product); Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0880-Express-Blaster-Titanium/dp/B001E25KDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306028923&sr=1-1)
Welcome to the DUC

Ummm... why P6X58D-E over X58A-UD3R? And what's with the Sound Blaster Card?

Pro-lyphony
05-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the DUC

Ummm... why P6X58D-E over X58A-UD3R? And what's with the Sound Blaster Card?

Learning this stuff as I go along; are you referring to the X58A-UD3R as having more slot options? Any suggestions for a compatible sound card? I based the choices on customer review.

Thanks,
-Pro-lyphony

filosofem
05-21-2011, 09:54 PM
are you referring to the X58A-UD3R as having more slot options?
P6X58D-E is the X58A-UD3R nemesis and on paper they look the same both running the same North and South Bridge Chipset, DIMM Slots, Expansion and Storage.
Any suggestions for a compatible sound card?
Avid Mbox Mini (http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox-Mini) is a good place to start.

PT9RJ
05-22-2011, 03:06 PM
New core i7-2600K build running PT 8.0.5.

ASRock P67 Extreme 6
Intel core I7-2600K
Corsair Vengeance, 16GB
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 120GB (OS, PT)
WD Caviar Black, 1 TB (Audio)
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Cooler Master HAF 922
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Video card from old rig)

RJ

filosofem
05-22-2011, 04:07 PM
ASRock P67 Extreme 6
Intel core I7-2600K
RJ, this rig is already built? Can you post some Dverb benchmarks?

albee1952
05-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Greetings,

I am custom building my first computer and am currently looking at getting:

PT9; Windows 7; i7-990X Extreme Edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115079&Tpk=i7-990X%20Extreme%20Edition);Asus ATX P6X58D-E Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641&cm_re=Asus_ATX_P6X58D-E_Motherboard-_-13-131-641-_-Product); Corsair HX Series CMPSU-1000HX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007&Tpk=Corsair%20HX%20Series%20CMPSU-1000HX); EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX460 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591&Tpk=EVGA%2001G-P3-1366-TR%20GeForce%20GTX460); Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB ST21500341AS (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200RPM-Internal-ST31500341AS-Bare/dp/B00066IJPQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306028763&sr=8-2-fkmr0) (X2); Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0880-Express-Blaster-Titanium/dp/B001E25KDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306028923&sr=1-1); 12GB RAM Corsair XMS3 HX3X12G1600C9 G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145235&Tpk=12GB%20RAM%20Corsair%20XMS3%20HX3X12G1600C9%20 G); LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335); HAF 932 RC-932-KKN5-GP Tower (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=HAF_932_Full_Tower-_-11-119-160-_-Product)

Feedback (corrections/suggestions) appreciated, thanks.

Cheers.
Pro-lyphony
Skip the sound blaster. Putting an Mbox mini on this computer is like putting a Pinto engine in a Ferrari:D If you are concerned about Windows sounds, run the optical SPDIF out of the motherboard and use a Presonus Central Station to select the computer audio(works great here).

mano111
05-23-2011, 05:36 AM

ASRock P67 Extreme 6
Intel core I7-2600K
Corsair Vengeance, 16GB
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 120GB (OS, PT)
WD Caviar Black, 1 TB (Audio)
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Cooler Master HAF 922
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Video card from old rig)

RJ

Yeah, please post Dverb scores. Also what interface? is it FW 003/mbox pro or other? what operating system etc...

I don't remember ever seeing an ASRock board used for and Intel CPU build (at least not on this forum).

RQQST3R
05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I have been tossing up whether for the extra 600 odd bucks its worth going for

2 x Intel S1366 Xeon E5506 2.13GHz Quad Core CPU
1 x ASUS S1366 Z8NA-D6 Dual Motherboard
1 x 80GB Kingston SSDNow M-Series Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000rpm SATA HDD
1 x 2TB Western Digital Green EARS 64M SATA HDD
1 x NVIDIA GTS450 1GB Gigabyte PCIe Video Card
2 x DDR3 4GB Kingston ECC Registered 1333MHz RAM
2 x Intel BXSTS100C S1366 Xeon CPU Heatsink
1 x Antec P183 V3 Performance One Full ATX Case (No PS)
1 x Antec CP-850W Power Supply

opposed to the

1 x Intel S1366 Core i7 970 3.2GHz SIX Core CPU
1 x Gigabyte S1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
1 x 80GB Kingston SSDNow M-Series Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000rpm SATA HDD
1 x 2TB Western Digital Green EARS 64M SATA HDD
1 x NVIDIA GTS450 1GB Gigabyte PCIe Video Card
1 x DDR3 12GB Corsair 1600Mhz Dominator RAM Triple Channel
1 x Antec P183 V3 Performance One Full ATX Case (No PS)
1 x Antec CP-850W Power Supply

with my m-audio ultra 8R will there be any noticeable difference or will it simply be overkill for the most part?

filosofem
05-27-2011, 07:01 PM
I have been tossing up whether for the extra 600 odd bucks its worth going for...
Experience has told me to stay away from server based processors that are on the edge. As they're to expensive especially with Registered RAM. Where you can have for half the price a powerful customer desktop, a step behind. Having said that you could drop that money on that latest X79 Express Chipset/LGA2011 Sandy Bridge Enthusiast Processor due in Q4 2011. And this will still be more powerful than dropping top dollar on server grade hardware. But if you need a rig now, IMO go customer desktop, Core i7 970 (X58) with the 12 GB 1600Mhz RAM.

Sharmel
05-28-2011, 08:10 AM
I upgraded my PC to this:

- ASRock P67 Extreme 6
- Intel core I7-2600K (Sandy Bridge)
- Kingston HyperX 8Gb
- ATI HD2900XT (my old one)

from Q6600, 4Gb machine and now i get ten times more "runtime errors" :confused:
Works perfectly if i do something, but if i keep a coffee break or little longer pauce without touching anything, i have to reboot.

themadarchitect
05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
gotta say thanks to everyone who has kept this thread going. I've been reading it since the first post and now 400+ pages :eek:

Either way, finally had enough not being able to do what I can do at work at my own project studio..so I'm doing a new build...

i7 INTEL CORE I7 920 LGA 1366 2.66GHz CPU, ASUS P6T INTEL X58 LGA1366 I7 3xPCI, OZC Platinum 6 gigs, triple channel. two cooling fans & memory coolers. All to run on a dual boot (XP 32bit and Win 7 64bit) 3 WD Caviar Black 500 gig drives (one for Os, one for recording, one for samples and reallocation of sessions during mixing). Now they are shipping all of this with a standard power supply that is supposed to be bet. 300-400 watts...I'm guessing that is not nearly enough. Just wanted to verify.

Also I'm adding my own firewire card, TSB12LV26 OCHII Compliant. From what I've seen, this is good enough to run my Digi 002r, but I wanted to double check. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

filosofem
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Now they are shipping all of this with a standard power supply that is supposed to be bet. 300-400 watts...I'm guessing that is not nearly enough.
You need to be in the 620w ball park.

Also I'm adding my own firewire card, TSB12LV26 OCHII Compliant. From what I've seen, this is good enough to run my Digi 002r
If this card is not producing playback errors and the like then run with it.

themadarchitect
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
thx for the reply.

Obe1
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Hey guys I'm back. First of all I want to say thanks again for all your help from a year ago when I decided to build my PT i7 machine, you saved me so much trouble and I'm very thankful. Here's my setup by the way:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo
6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM
i7 930, OC'd to 3.52
3x WD Blacks 640GB, 64MB cache 6gb/s
Win 7 64bit
PT 9 (going to be)

I hope that's enough info.

I've just purchased some goodies and am having a friend come over this weekend to help me reinstall Windows. I got PT 9 and a Focusrite 24 Pro DSP. I want to do a clean install of Win 7 64 bit to ensure a fresh start. I haven't been backing up my drives like a good boy, but I'm gonna buy an external this week to take care of that. Any suggestions on that by the way? I want just one backup drive for all three internals. I want one that's USB 3.0. I was looking at the WD my book.. possibly a Seagate. Let me know your input on that.

Another task we are going to tackle is to try and setup a dual boot, one Win 7 one OSX. I know this is a controversial subject so if you can't comment on it I understand. If you can though, I was wondering how to use my three hard drives most efficiently. I only have two 6gb/s sata slots, but have 3 hdds. Which function should get what? I heard it is best to install one OS on one drive, and the other on another. I would then use the 3rd drive as my recording drive, but that one would only be 3gb/s. Should I reserve the two fast ports for the OS's? Or is it more important to have the recording drive on one of the fast ones? I don't do a lot of recording actually, but if I understand correctly, the recording drive is the drive where the entire session is run from.

Ok well I've written a novel here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know. Thanks.

Chris

remis
06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Another task we are going to tackle is to try and setup a dual boot, one Win 7 one OSX. I know this is a controversial subject so if you can't comment on it I understand. If you can though, I was wondering how to use my three hard drives most efficiently. I only have two 6gb/s sata slots, but have 3 hdds. Which function should get what? I heard it is best to install one OS on one drive, and the other on another. I would then use the 3rd drive as my recording drive, but that one would only be 3gb/s. Should I reserve the two fast ports for the OS's? Or is it more important to have the recording drive on one of the fast ones? I don't do a lot of recording actually, but if I understand correctly, the recording drive is the drive where the entire session is run from.

Chris

Just as a suggestion (as this was the best solution I came across when looking into dual booting with W7 and OSX was to purchase a hot swap drive bay for my OS drives. THis way I don't have to worry about dual booting, just have two different hard drives, 1 for W7 and 1 for OSX. Then you just put in whichever drive has the OS you feel like using that day. Also this way you can have your OS hot swap drive running off one of your 6Gb/s port and your audio (recording) drive connected to the other.

Obe1
06-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Just as a suggestion (as this was the best solution I came across when looking into dual booting with W7 and OSX was to purchase a hot swap drive bay for my OS drives. THis way I don't have to worry about dual booting, just have two different hard drives, 1 for W7 and 1 for OSX. Then you just put in whichever drive has the OS you feel like using that day. Also this way you can have your OS hot swap drive running off one of your 6Gb/s port and your audio (recording) drive connected to the other.

That's a pretty cool idea... Don't hot swap drives run off a port from the back of the computer though? When I was talking about the sata ports, I meant the internal ones. Not sure how I would hook up a hot swap dock to the internal sata ports.. I guess I'm confused a little. I have an esata port on the rear panel, maybe that's what you mean..

remis
06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
That's a pretty cool idea... Don't hot swap drives run off a port from the back of the computer though? When I was talking about the sata ports, I meant the internal ones. Not sure how I would hook up a hot swap dock to the internal sata ports.. I guess I'm confused a little. I have an esata port on the rear panel, maybe that's what you mean..

Sorry, I should have given you an example. I notice you're in the States...so this is the model hot swap drive bay I have in my tower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986001&Tpk=ez%20swap%204

I actually have 2 of them in my tower, one for OS drives and the other for storage etc. The dock slots into a Standard 5.25" Drive Bay and connects to a SATA port. Now the only thing with this is I don't think it will actually run at 6Gb/s as it only does SATA2, not SATA3...so maybe see if there's any new products around these days that do the same thing but can utilize SATA3 at 6Gb/s. Hope this helps, or is at least somewhat informative:p:D

remis
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Hey Obe1 I found this hot swap bay (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198035&Tpk=MB672SKGF-BB) that will support 6Gb/s :cool::D

Obe1
06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Sorry, I should have given you an example. I notice you're in the States...so this is the model hot swap drive bay I have in my tower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986001&Tpk=ez%20swap%204

I actually have 2 of them in my tower, one for OS drives and the other for storage etc. The dock slots into a Standard 5.25" Drive Bay and connects to a SATA port. Now the only thing with this is I don't think it will actually run at 6Gb/s as it only does SATA2, not SATA3...so maybe see if there's any new products around these days that do the same thing but can utilize SATA3 at 6Gb/s. Hope this helps, or is at least somewhat informative:p:D

Ok so if I understand correctly, that dual hdd box goes inside the computer? Then I put two internal hdd inside of this box? Then I'm guessing you can choose which one is active on the single sata port? How would both internals fit in a box that's supposed to fit in a 5.25 slot? Do I need to buy two specialized smaller hard drives? I'm still confused, sorry.

remis
06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey Obe1 I found this hot swap bay (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198035&Tpk=MB672SKGF-BB) that will support 6Gb/s :cool::D

I actually found this unit above that will support 6Gb/s. You can only fit 1 normal 3.5inch hard drives in it (same as the ones I have), not 2. So instead of dual booting you just have 2 physically different hard driver for each operating system and only have 1 in the hot swap bay at a time. So because there's only 1 hard drive in the hot swap bay you simply connect the hot swap bay to 1 of your 6Gb/s SATA ports.

filosofem
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
remis, what model Icy Dock are you using and how reliable has it been? How often do you exchange drives in a day/week? Have you had any issue booting to a docked drive? How many Operating Systems are you running? Cheers.

mykhal c
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
OR...if you have room in your case then just mount all hdds inside the case and hit F8 on boot and choose your boot device...W7 or OSX or Linux...;)

amatueraudio
06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey all - just an update on the situation here.

Just wanted to say thank you all for all your help (and putting up with me).

The system is running really smooth and really stable with the Legacy Firewire drivers, very very powerful - handles tonnes of plugs without missing a beat.

I think I need to get an SIIG FW Card though, as it takes a lot of effort to get the Firewire light on my 002 to actually come on, and if I start my system with the 002 turned on it freezes on startup. Is there a specific SIIG card that's better than the rest?

Obe1
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I actually found this unit above that will support 6Gb/s. You can only fit 1 normal 3.5inch hard drives in it (same as the ones I have), not 2. So instead of dual booting you just have 2 physically different hard driver for each operating system and only have 1 in the hot swap bay at a time. So because there's only 1 hard drive in the hot swap bay you simply connect the hot swap bay to 1 of your 6Gb/s SATA ports.

Yeah I'm starting to get it now. I was gonna say, I didn't see how two drives would fit in that enclosure. I may end up doing this.

Obe1
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
OR...if you have room in your case then just mount all hdds inside the case and hit F8 on boot and choose your boot device...W7 or OSX or Linux...;)

Well I have plenty of room in my case for more HDD's but the problem was I only have two sata 3 ports, and I wanted to have one for each os and one for the recording drive. Is there a way to hook both HDD's up to the same sata port on some kind of switch, that allows me choose which one i want to have active? That would be idea. Otherwise, is it a big deal if I run the record drive from the sata 2 port? I just want to use the speed I have for the right things. If it's more important to have the sata 3 on the OS drives, then that's what I'll do.

Now that I'm going to have another OS, I prob should buy a separate drive for it, so that means I'm going to have to take one of the three I have and use it for OSX, use one for Win 7, then the other one can be used as the record drive. Originally though I had one for the OS, one for the record drive, and another to store the samples from Battery 3 on (and other vst's that used HDD instead of RAM). Do I need to have these samples on a separate drive or should I store them on the OS drive or record drive? I mean worse comes to worst I'll just buy another drive. Any recommendations?

mykhal c
06-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Well I have plenty of room in my case for more HDD's but the problem was I only have two sata 3 ports, and I wanted to have one for each os and one for the recording drive. Is there a way to hook both HDD's up to the same sata port on some kind of switch, that allows me choose which one i want to have active? That would be idea. Otherwise, is it a big deal if I run the record drive from the sata 2 port? I just want to use the speed I have for the right things. If it's more important to have the sata 3 on the OS drives, then that's what I'll do.

Now that I'm going to have another OS, I prob should buy a separate drive for it, so that means I'm going to have to take one of the three I have and use it for OSX, use one for Win 7, then the other one can be used as the record drive. Originally though I had one for the OS, one for the record drive, and another to store the samples from Battery 3 on (and other vst's that used HDD instead of RAM). Do I need to have these samples on a separate drive or should I store them on the OS drive or record drive? I mean worse comes to worst I'll just buy another drive. Any recommendations?

FWIW...i'd run my OS off of SATA2 and audio and samps off of SATA3.

filosofem
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Is there a specific SIIG card that's better than the rest?
Yes and I replied with the correct model number a while back in this thread, for you.

filosofem
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Mykhal speaking of this method, ummm... when I do this, each new install of an Operating System gets listed in what used to be thee old boot.ini and I can not select a drive from the Boot Menu. Do you know what's up with that?

mykhal c
06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Mykhal speaking of this method, ummm... when I do this, each new install of an Operating System gets listed in what used to be thee old boot.ini and I can not select a drive from the Boot Menu. Do you know what's up with that?

Aa, on W7 when you add an OS the entry gets stored in the BCDstore. so you can either edit it from the command or use a BCDstore editor like EASYBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) ...which is what i use. but by usin' your function key you will precede your BCDstore...you might wanna check your GIGA mobo manual to make sure it's F8 tho...might be somethin' different. i believe it's F8 on my ASUS mobo. i have a standard multi-boot with a gazillion OS partitions on 1 hdd tho...makes it easier to clone just 1 drive.

old iguana
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
hi guys,first time posting here and first time building my rig so please be gentle:-)
everything seemed too good to be true and followed some of the hints/tips etc until ive hit the wall with i think is the 1394 problem when loading protools..i think i download the correct hotfix etc but its still freezing or crashing somewhere around MIDI if that helps.

so any helps would be great:-)

gigabyte x58a ud3r v2
windows 7 ulitmate 64
i7 920 redline
2 x itb western digital black
pro tools LE8.0
antec 900 case
PNY GM0G210N2E49H-SB GeForce 210 GraphicsCard
Corsair CAFA70 Cooling Fan/Heatsink
ANTEC POWER SUPPLY HE550

remis
06-03-2011, 03:35 AM
remis, what model Icy Dock are you using and how reliable has it been? How often do you exchange drives in a day/week? Have you had any issue booting to a docked drive? How many Operating Systems are you running? Cheers.

Hey Aaron, I'm actually not using the Icy Dock. I'm using Vantec Ez Swap 4's in my machine. I haven't had any trouble with them. Boots fine from the docked drive. Only thing is recently it seems to take a while to come to life after I press the power button to boot up...but I think that may be a motherboard related issue. I press the power button and then it takes 10-20seconds before it beeps and actually fires up properly...weird:confused: Also went to flash the bios last week and it wouldn't recognise my thumbdrive or external USB HDD...so I couldn't flash the bios. Any thoughts as to what this could be? I'm thinking possibly mobo issue, but am open to suggestions.

I generally swap drives a handful of times a week, maybe 3-4...
I was previously running 3 seperate OS drives. One W7 for the net and general PC stuff, one W7 dedicated to and optimized for PT and one for OSX. Haven't put the OSX one in for a while though...looking at giving it another go in the near future though.

Obe1
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
FWIW...i'd run my OS off of SATA2 and audio and samps off of SATA3.

Awesome sounds good. I mean to be honest, I probably won't even use OSX for much, it's more of an experimental thing. I can plug that into a Sata 2 port. But quick question, when we do a D-verb test, that's basically testing the power of our CPU right (and our settings of course)? Would having the OS drive plugged into a sata 3 as opposed to a sata 2 make a difference in it's performance for the test? Or is the test measuring CPU and not data transfer speed?

I don't do a lot of recording. What usually happens is my friend gives me a session file and I'll mix it for him. The session files can have anywhere from 50 to 100 and something audio tracks, and just a few plugins. I then go in and start adding plugins and automation. Having said that, would it be more benficial to have the OS drive plugged into the sata 3 so I can max out my plugins? Or is the number of plugins I can used strictly based on the processing power of my cpu?

albee1952
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
hi guys,first time posting here and first time building my rig so please be gentle:-)
everything seemed too good to be true and followed some of the hints/tips etc until ive hit the wall with i think is the 1394 problem when loading protools..i think i download the correct hotfix etc but its still freezing or crashing somewhere around MIDI if that helps.

so any helps would be great:-)

gigabyte x58a ud3r v2
windows 7 ulitmate 64
i7 920 redline
2 x itb western digital black
pro tools LE8.0
antec 900 case
PNY GM0G210N2E49H-SB GeForce 210 GraphicsCard
Corsair CAFA70 Cooling Fan/Heatsink
ANTEC POWER SUPPLY HE550
Welcome to the DUC. You should start a new thread and include a Sandra report as described in this thread: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050) Then you should uninstall PT8 and start over by installing 8 WITHOUT connecting the interface, then install the 8.0.4(or 8.0.5) updater. Connect the interface AFTER the updater finishes and reboots.

filosofem
06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Mykhal, I'll hit you up on alternative channels over the weekend if you're around. ;)

filosofem
06-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Also went to flash the bios last week and it wouldn't recognise my thumbdrive or external USB HDD...so I couldn't flash the bios. Any thoughts as to what this could be?
What BIOS revision remis?

mykhal c
06-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Mykhal, I'll hit you up on alternative channels over the weekend if you're around. ;)

cool...

mano111
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Awesome sounds good. I mean to be honest, I probably won't even use OSX for much, it's more of an experimental thing. I can plug that into a Sata 2 port. But quick question, when we do a D-verb test, that's basically testing the power of our CPU right (and our settings of course)? Would having the OS drive plugged into a sata 3 as opposed to a sata 2 make a difference in it's performance for the test? Or is the test measuring CPU and not data transfer speed?

I don't do a lot of recording. What usually happens is my friend gives me a session file and I'll mix it for him. The session files can have anywhere from 50 to 100 and something audio tracks, and just a few plugins. I then go in and start adding plugins and automation. Having said that, would it be more benficial to have the OS drive plugged into the sata 3 so I can max out my plugins? Or is the number of plugins I can used strictly based on the processing power of my cpu?

OS drive connection speed has no effect on plugin count. Its pure CPU and RAM speed. This is true for D-verb and other processing plugins. The drive's speed might affect some VIs as well as plugin load times and PT's load time etc.

Still if you are using a HDD its likely that you would get the same performance when connected to SATA 2 as you would with SATA 3 as testing on tech sites shows only some of the most recent SSDs are truly capable of taking advantage of the higher bandwidth you get from SATA 3.

remis
06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
What BIOS revision remis?

I think I'm still on FB...haven't updated it in along time.

Cheers
Dan

filosofem
06-03-2011, 06:40 PM
What happens when you unplug those devices, then update the BIOS and plug them back in? Is it a driver issue or connectivity? Dan.

Obe1
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
OS drive connection speed has no effect on plugin count. Its pure CPU and RAM speed. This is true for D-verb and other processing plugins. The drive's speed might affect some VIs as well as plugin load times and PT's load time etc.

Still if you are using a HDD its likely that you would get the same performance when connected to SATA 2 as you would with SATA 3 as testing on tech sites shows only some of the most recent SSDs are truly capable of taking advantage of the higher bandwidth you get from SATA 3.

Very informative. Thanks for the input. Having said that I probably could have put all my samples on the OS drive. It's all good though, I already ordered another HDD for OSX. So when that comes in, I'll have 4 HDDs, one for Win 7, one for OSX, one for recording, and one for samples. I'll put the two sata 3's on the recording and sample drive because they would benefit from faster read/write times (although like you said, I probably wouldn't even notice a difference).

The last decision I am trying to make is which external HDD to get to back up all of those. I'm going to use one external to back up all the drives. I've narrowed it down between a WD My Book and Seagate Free Agent. From how it looks, the Seagate has less issues. I'll be using it with USB 3.0. If you have any input on that I'd love to hear it as well.

And one last question regarding the external, I won't be able to back up the OSX drive on that will I? I mean because it's going to be formatted for the Win 7 drives. I read that I could format it in FAT 32 and it would work with both, but I don't know how all that's going to work because I've never made a dual boot setup before (OSX and Win). Also, any suggestions on this would be great. To be honest, backing up the OSX drive won't be a big deal because I don't plan to use it much, it's more of an experimental thing. Thanks for all your guys' help.

remis
06-03-2011, 07:32 PM
What happens when you unplug those devices, then update the BIOS and plug them back in? Is it a driver issue or connectivity? Dan.

Sorry, I may not have explained the issue overly well. My computer sees those devices fine when it's on but when I put a new BIOS to the device and go into the BIOS to flash from the device but for some reason when I select the "flash from drive" option it says it can't recognize the device, even though the light flashes on the thumbdrive to indicate it's thinking...

filosofem
06-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Use @BIOS and update from file or server. Dan.

mykhal c
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
I read that I could format it in FAT 32 and it would work with both, but I don't know how all that's going to work because I've never made a "^#^#&@#&!@" before.

that word/discussion is NOT allowed on the DUC. it'd be wise to remove it;)

remis
06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Use @BIOS and update from file or server. Dan.

THanks for the tip Aaron. I'll give It a go when I get back home on Thursday.

Obe1
06-04-2011, 08:15 AM
that word/discussion is NOT allowed on the DUC. it'd be wise to remove it;)

Woops, sorry.

xarkon
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Anyone have experience with this mobo?

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

full specs at:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3847#

EDIT: did some more reading; appears the UD5 version would work fine and is not as expensive; don't think I need to run three video cards :o

I'm interested in building a Sandy Bridge config - Z68, as I understand it, isn't susceptible to the identified parts problem.

Appears this mobo uses the TI firewire chipset. Pricey board, though.

Interested to hear replies. TIA.

Dave

filosofem
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm interested in building a Sandy Bridge config - Z68
Hi Dave

I know of one other person on the DUC that has built a SNB/Z68 Pro Tools system with HD TDM PCI cards and they're not having the best of time but we think this is related to the HD TDM PCI cards seated and that with FireWire and USB, SNB/Z68 should work with Pro Tools. This would probably include Pro Tools HD Native (PCIe card). PCI is on the way out.

themadarchitect
06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Gents...Need a little help..Finally put together my new system and loaded into the BIOS. (Asus P6T Board, Core i7 950). The current BIOS version says 1104, yet no such version is listed on ASUS site. The latest version is 1408:eek::rolleyes:

The BIOS date seems to suggest that the update is more current (as well as the version number). I know a couple of guys here have this board and I was wondering if this should be a concern, or is it safe to flash with the latest BIOS setting.

I did double check the board to make sure I was looking at the right info. definitely says
BOARD: P6T
VER: 1104 (H:05 B:40)
Date: 01/28/2010

The "Update ROM" sections says:
BOARD: P6T
VER: 1408 (H:05 B:47)
Date: 09/21/2010

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
EDIT: There is NO OS installed yet, so I am not worried about activation

Sugarnutz
06-09-2011, 02:56 PM

I recently found this little jewel for a dual (or more) boot system using separate SSD drives. Specs only support SATA II though (not a big deal to me):

StarTech S25SLOTR 2.5in SATA Removable Hard Drive Bay (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998052)

The motherboard for my new Sandybridge build (Biostar TB67B+. Only motherboard I could find with locked speed PCIe slots: 16x, 4x, 1x, two PCI slots. I need it just like that if I go HD Native along with two UAD1, one UAD2 Quad & a video card) only has five PCIe/PCI slots so a standard 7 slot case should have room for it, might have to come up with some form of additional support since it will not be directly over the motherboard.

albee1952
06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I keep my system drive in one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-990-001&nm_mc=EMCPB-032011&cm_mmc=EMCPB-032011-_-PB-_-Item-_-17-990-001 and my other drives are in a triple version of the same thing. Swapped a lot of drives without issue.

themadarchitect
06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Well I would be offended since everyone blew off my question, but since I actually learned something from this post I won't hold it against anyone :rolleyes:

Anyway....New build = finished (at least for the next week so I can get some work done!)

Setup:
ASUS P6T INTEL X58 LGA1366 I7 3xPCI-e (ROM VER: 1408)
INTEL CORE I7 950 LGA 1366 3.07GHz CPU
HEAVY DUTY INTEL I7 COOLER FAN
CORSAIR TX750W PSU
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 TRIPLE Channel *CL7* PC3-10666 1333MHz
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT
PRO TOOLS 8.0.5
(2) 500 GIG WD CAVIAR BLACK DRIVES (32MB, 7200RPM)
(1) 500 GIG MAXTOR DRIVE (32MB, 7200RPM)
nvidia GeFORCE 8400 GS (ON BOARD CARD)

Some interesting mentions during the build: (For those who will attempt a build AFTER this post. Those before it either already know this stuff or don't care)
- Corsair does NOT ship PSU with wall adapter. It is a separate purchase
-DO NOT BE FOOLED. IT IS ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE TO LOAD WIN 7 64BIT FROM AN EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE (they say you can only do it from a "flashdrive" and make it bootable from Vista)....EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE A COMPUTER WITH XP 32BIT. It just takes some clever manuevering and about 1.5 hours to install on your new system (this is only for those who don't have a DVD drive installed or a legacy drive that will not be picked up by the BIOS until AFTER an OS is installed, or those who purchased Win 7 via download)
If you are interested, I will write up how I went about loading it on my system. Just PM me.
-Installing PT took out my LAN connection, so I am still trouble shooting the build.

DVERB TEST. (DONE WITH THE NEW DVERB)
(Notes: TEST DONE WITH DIGI RACK 002R, WILL BE REDOING IT SOON WITH RME INTERFACE CONNECTED JUST TO SEE IF THERE IS MUCH OF A PERFOMANCE HIT. Have not OC'ed yet..Don't feel comfortable with the cooling in the system..Did try though..Got it up to 4.1 before the temps started going haywire:eek:. Only basic recommended tweaks done thus far for Win 7. Still had a significant amount of services running while I did this test. Not using recommended plug for PSU yet due to the wait for the wall adapter. Everytime the AC kicked on, I got a "glich" in the recording. The counts would've easily been 50 or so higher.)
(RTAS Buffer set to 1, DAE Buffer @ 4, Max Cache. 7 Cores assigned to use 99%)

Buffer @ 1024 = 411 Verbs, 81 Percent CPU
Buffer @ 64 = 258 Verbs, 68 Percent CPU

EDIT: UPDATED AFTER I RESET RAM TIMINGS.......

After seeing some of the numbers around here, hardly impressive but still DAAAAAAAAAAAMN:eek::D...HD what?:cool: And I haven't even unlocked the sheer power on this system yet...I estimate at least adding on 100 verb to each buffer....

Still love my HD, but I gotta say...I won't be upgrading it anytime soon...and I am by far one of the least technical persons on the site...so for all the future builders out there..u can do it..

Thanks to all the guys (even though u ignored my question :D who spent the time to put this post together.

chrisdee
06-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I keep my system drive in one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-990-001&nm_mc=EMCPB-032011&cm_mmc=EMCPB-032011-_-PB-_-Item-_-17-990-001 and my other drives are in a triple version of the same thing. Swapped a lot of drives without issue.

Practical.

Does 2.5" SSD disks fit in there or must one have a 3.5" casing for the SSD ?

albee1952
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Practical.

Does 2.5" SSD disks fit in there or must one have a 3.5" casing for the SSD ?
It only fits 3.5 inchers(unless someone makes an adapter I don't know about). And good scores for themadarchitect:D

decayd
06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Howdy fellers and girl fellers?

I'm getting ready to put together a semi-portable PT rig. What I want is a super quiet, rack mounted rig I can use at home and take out to record on site as well. Here's what I'm thinking of getting. Please let me know if these work or if there are better parts available. I plan on running PT 9. I have a 003 rack and an Eleven rack. I also have a Presonus Digimax FS and a Mackie 1202-VLZ3. I want to be able to record on all the available tracks if possible.
Here be the parts:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler

Kingston 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K3/12G

ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (System Drive)

PLEXTOR Internal DVD Super Multi Model PX-L890SA

iStarUSA D-400L-7/660 Steel 4U Rackmount Server Chassis

Nexus RX-8500 - Power supply ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.2 - AC 115/230 V - 850 Watt - active PFC

AcoustiPack™ ULTIMATE PC Soundproofing Kit

I already have 2 WD Caviar Black 640GB Hard Drives for Library and Sessions. I should probably get another big drive for a ghost image and back ups too.

I plan on running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'm trying to stay under 2K. I don't want this computer to even know about the internet as well. Wondering how you go about setting things up without hooking up to the web.

Thanks in advance!

filosofem
06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (System Drive)
You can try it but no SSD is recommended by Avid.

decayd
06-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Ok. A regular HD is cheaper too. Thanks.

decayd
06-12-2011, 08:44 AM
One more thing, I was thinking of putting Reaper on the same drive as Pro Tools. That won't be an issue will it? Kind of a silly question but you don't know till you ask.

Also really want some info on updating software and initial setup without the internet. Never set up a system without connecting it to the web. I'm sure it's easy. Thanks.

filosofem
06-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking of putting Reaper on the same drive as Pro Tools. That won't be an issue will it?
There is not problem as long as Reaper is 32 bit.
Also really want some info on updating software and initial setup without the internet.
You'll need an alternative source to pull any updater.

xZiggy
06-14-2011, 02:00 AM
This thread started off with builds designed to support PTLE 8.x and was patterned after sunburst's BEST CORE 2 thread. Now this thread is mainly geared toward builds supportin' PT9. In fact DUCers like guitardom, Kris75, Key, Albee, and others who had their builds for PT8 have now upgraded to PT9. So as you look at the older builds in the 2nd post you can be reassured that those builds work with PT9 (even tho the parts are probably outdated at this point). I will be modifyin' the thread soon and changin' the DVERB test instructions to now reflect PT9 as opposed to the 7.4 (which was our reference point at one time). I will also send a request to DTS that a sticky in the PT9 Windows forum be placed there to link to this thread. Hopefully this will keep users informed to what the DUCers are havin' success with regardin' the cuttin'/bleedin' edge builds and their success with PT9. Good luck with your builds!!

Thanks to Kris75 and guitardom for bein' the first of the pioneers!!!:D 2years ago!!!:eek::D

DTS...thanks for the link in the W7 forum:cool:

much needed disclaimer!!!...this thread was created for 'one-stop shopping' for DUC'ers regarding i7 builds!!!! use it as your meeting place. i'll keep it updated as much as possible...as possible;)

************************************************** **************************************************

The i7/X58 Dverb results (please see the 2nd post for the earlier builds. listed below are the more recent ones.)

Intel® Core™ i7 Desktop Processor Family (http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=28037)

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Edition (http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=39597&MarketSegment=DT)

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Intel's Newsroom Post (http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/01/31/intel-identifies-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution?cid=rss-258152-c1-264102)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/i...-begins-recall (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit-with-chipset-design-flaw-in-sandy-bridge-rollout/44257?tag=nl.e539 (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit-with-chipset-design-flaw-in-sandy-bridge-rollout/44257?tag=nl.e539)

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Finds...ticle20789.htm (http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Finds+Design+Flaw+in+New+Sandy+Bridge+Chipse t/article20789.htm)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...tops_shipments (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_finds_flaw_6-series_chipsets_stops_shipments)

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

**** builds are listed from the most recent to the earlier ones *****

Zarabozo - 1st posted/workin' dual socket Xeon DIY build (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1794031&postcount=4319) - even tho this thread is dedicated to the i7 i thought it was worth the post since it's the first that i can recall after my 9+ yrs on the DUC....Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6, Processors: 2 x Intel X5650 (12 cores 24 threads total), RAM: 24 GB (6 modules of 4GB Kingston 1333 ECC Registered Gold), Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB GDDR5, OS Disk: Kingston SSD Now V+ 60GB, Media Disk: WD Velociraptor Sata3 (6GB/s via SAS) 10,000 RPM 600GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1, ProTools 9.0.2 with CPTK2, Eleven Rack, Dverb test: 464 dverbs @1024.

donrey - PTLE 8.0.4, i7 950 @ 4.2, Asus P6X58D Premium, Noctua NH-D14, Kingston Hyper X 6GB @ 1600, PNY Quadro FX580, Lite On iHAS524, SeaGate Barracudas @ 7200, Silverstone FT02 Case, ADS Pyro PCI 64R2 firewire card, Mbox 2 Pro, Windows 7 64 Pro and Windows XP 32 Pro (both tested)
donrey's OC'd bios settings (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1760938&postcount=4121)

ryanwilsonfive - PTLE 8.0.3cs2, Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211)GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423), CORSAIR XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145298), COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057),CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005), ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121360), ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204), Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320), Glyph GT 050Q 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache (http://www.glyphtech.com/products/gt050q/#/images/products/050Q-gallery-front.jpg), Windows XP Home Edition SP2, 251 D-Verbs @ 1024 samples / 239 D-Verbs @ 64 samples

mano - PTLE 8.0.4cs2, i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz, Intel DP67BG motherboard, G- Skill 8GB DDR3 1600, Crucial C300 SATA3 SSD - system drive, Samsung F3 1TB - audio drive, Nvidia Geforce 8500, Termalright Ultra Extreme 120, Antec P-150 case, Seasonic S12II 520 PSU, 003R, @1024=448 Dverbs, @64=310 Dverbs.
(mano gives us the 1st workin'/posted build with the i7 2600/1155 socket/P67 chipset!!! (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61425&p=532229#p532229)) way to continue blazin' the trail mano!!!

harryk - PT9, i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 BIOS FE, VGA PNYlVCQFX380-PCIE-PB FX380 RT, CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - system, Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, sessions, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Mbox2

critza - PT 9, GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0, i7 980X, Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 4x2GB CL9, Corsair 550W, Radeon 5670 512GB, Crucial RealSSD 128GB (system), WD Velociraptor 150GB (samples), Intel X-25M 80GB(Samples)WD Caviar Black 500GB(recordingdrive), WD Caviar Black 640GB(backup), Samsung Ecogreen 2TB(misc.), Samsung F1 750GB (backup), W7, Digi 002R

remis - PT9, Mbox 2 Pro, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter....W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024

filosofem -PT9HD Native, Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz Bloomfield D0 1366 VGA, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (FA) Revision 1, DDR3-SDRAM DDR3-1333 Corsair 6144 MB Single Bank 2048, ATi Radeon HD 5400 Series 512 MB PCIe, Enermax Liberty ECO II 620w PSU Modular, WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2, Windows 7 Professional 6.01.7600 (x64)

rickthestick - Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Intel i7 980X, Noctua NH-D14, Asus P6X58D Premium, Kingston HyperX 12 GB DDR 1600, GeForce 9800GT 1GB Silent, Intel X25-M 160GB SSD, 3) WD 1TB Black, Plextor PX-880SA, Seasonic X-750, Digi 003 w/ version 8.03cs2 DVERB test: at 64 samples, 58 to 60% CPU usage, 348 dverbs, 487 @1024 buffer...using all 12 cores!!!

spkguitar - PT9, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3. ASUS EN7600GT, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x ICY DOCK MB671SK-B (trayless hotswap), 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), DIGI002, Command8, XP(SP3) = 243 Dverb2.0 OSX = 318 Dverb2.0

###### new link for Avid 'approved' W7 systems for PT9 ###### (nice work Avid;))

Avid's PT9 W7 approved systems (http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=380551)

W7 users!!!! You may wanna check out this IEEE 1394 Hotfix!!!!!

this hotfix addresses issues that some may have with their F/W connections. Please check out the MS disclaimers!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B981613&x=10&y=14

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981613

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975500

ALSO...with 8.0.4 havin' totally new drivers i would recommend that anyone havin' issues start with cyclin' thru all the possible F/W controllers that are installed on one's rig. there's a HUGE chance that you will find one that is absolutely more stable than the others and maybe even eliminate the issues/errors. hope that helps...

MORE...AVID's Windows Guide - Windows 7 Optimizations and Troubleshooting (http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=349411)

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!!

i7 and ram freq/settings/timings...

'AUTO' settings with ram will 'almost always' cause issues...9xxx errors to be specific!!! you should 'always' set your ram to its' correct settings...OC or not. right now if you are runnin' your ram timings outta sync with the ram freq you will probably encounter the 9xxx errors. make sure your ram dimms are in the same colored slots (triple channel mode). read up on how to set your ram freq and timings when usin' triple channel mode. use either the 'MANUAL' or 'PROFILE' settings to select the proper frequency and timings for your installed ram.;)

This is a quick benchmark stress test that can be done in a few minutes.

EDIT: IT's New, It's Exciting! It's Dverb 2.0!

Always do a Dverb test after a fresh start up of the computer with a newly created session on your audio drive. Since the 5.X days, PT always seems to keep something in some type of cache that doesnt always clear. Hard to explain, but you'll notice it. Also, only do this with the stock Digi plug-ins in the plug-in folder. Do not have any other plug-ins installed or your test will vary. If you have already installed a load of plug-ins then move them to another folder except Dverb and the stock Digi plug-ins, and then do the test.

The Dverb 2.0 Test

Please make sure that RTAS Engine Ignore Errors During Playback/Record box is unchecked

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Then, go to Setup > Playback Engine... > and make sure the RTAS engine: Ignore Errors During Playback/Record(may cause clicks and pops) is NOT checked. Also, Go to your buffer setting and select 1024(CPU usage must be 95% or highest possible). Set up your time line ruler for Min:Secs. You want to be in grid mode and set up your grid for Min:Secs and 1 second. Create one mono audio track. Take the selector tool, put it on the 5 minute mark in your audio track and drag this to the start of your session. You will now have 5 minutes selected in this track. Go to AudioSuite > Other > Signal Generator and click on the "process" but. You should now see a 5 minute test tone. Create another audio track and insert 5 Dverbs in all the inserts. Record arm the Dverb track. Click on the track name so it is high lighted white, and hit shift+alt+D then hit enter. Record arm the new track and continue this pattern. You want to be able to record WITHOUT THE TEST TONE BREAKING UP!! Keep adding Dverbs and recording. If the test tone starts to breakup, then delete some Dverbs until you can hear a SOLID TEST TONE for 5 MINUTES. This is VERY VERY important. The test tone has to be 100% solid!!!

****IMPORTANT NOTE ON DVERB TESTING******

the PTLE 8.0 DVERB has a chorus effect added that was not present in prior LE versions. here is a scale comparison that was posted by Shane. pls take this into account as you test your new builds!!!;)

Shane's current stats/results from the following system:

- Asus P5K MB
- Intel Q6600 Quad-Core CPU
- SATAII System Drive and Audio Drives
- NVIDIA 8400 GS Graphics card
- 4G G.Skill DDR2-1066 RAM

PTLE 7.3.1cs6 - 278 RTAS Dverbs(The old Dverb without chorus)

PTLE 7.4cs5 - 255 RTAS Dverbs(The old Dverb without chorus)

PTLE 8.0 - 159 RTAS Dverbs(The new Dverb with chorus)

PTLE 8.0 - 278 RTAS Dverbs(The old Dverb without chorus) <=== Shane replaced the 8.0 DVERB with the 7.4 one in his plugin folder to test)

actual link to post;) (http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.php?p=1317682&postcount=1)

*************** i7/X58 hot links and good reads *****************

HotHardware i7 overclocking article (http://hothardware.com/Articles/Overclocking-Intels-Core-i7-920-Processor/)

Understanding Nehalem's Memory Architecture (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3448&p=5)

QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) Hardware Secrets (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/610)

Ultimate Core i7 Overclocking Guide (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_core_i7_overclocking_guide_we_push_nehale m_its_limits?page=0%2C0) (also a great tutorial for grasping i7 BIOS concepts/settings)

SOS i7 DAW build (http://3xs.scan.co.uk/images/awards/PowerDAW_SoundOnSound.pdf)

AnandTech i7 920 D0 stepping preview (http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=584) look for this stepping when purchasing IMHO

Real-time (sample) vs block processing (http://books.google.com/books?id=1TM9jBBU2KwC&pg=PA250&lpg=PA250&dq=audio+offline+processing&source=bl&ots=fJjTN1C7dg&sig=3tg54JUth03iVdpx6GHpFzLs114&hl=en&ei=2fGFSoyeKYnatgPtz8ySBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=audio%20offline%20processing&f=false) good read

************************ Tuning Tools *************************************

W7 x64 Optimizations...screencasts of my tweaks (http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=277438)

DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml)

RATTV3 (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/tools/RATT.mspx)

Windows 7 Tools (XPERF included) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c17ba869-9671-4330-a63e-1fd44e0e2505&displaylang=en)

MEMSET (http://www.tweakers.fr/memset.html)

LAVALYS EVEREST (http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&lang=en&page=1)

CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php)

CORETEMP (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)

TMONITOR (http://www.cpuid.com/tmonitor.php)

this is from SOS mag/Dec issue. this is not intended to discourage the UD5 at all!!! just providin' an issue that 'some' 'may' have run into. UD5 remains a solid choice and definitely at the top of my list..

PC Snippets

Gigabyte UD5 Squeal: Various professional DAW builders and DIY PC builders alike have been suffering from an annoying problem with certain Gigabyte motherboards, in particular their GA EX58 UD5P model, so here’s the lowdown. When audio software is being run, you hear low-level but nevertheless unpleasant whining/squealing noises not dissimilar to those that result from digital ground-loop issues. Sometimes the noises can be heard acoustically from vibrating PSU components, but for most musicians the problem is audible as background noises in the output of their audio interface (particularly so with Firewire models). There’s even a YouTube video illustrating the problem (www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUk7NJDT9vM (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:OpenSite%28%27www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUk7NJDT9vM%27%29)).

If you hear such noises from your Firewire audio interface, unplug other audio gear from it and listen to the headphone output in isolation. If the noises have gone, you’re suffering from a ground loop, and can resort to the usual cures, such as balanced cabling or a line-level DI box. If the noises remain, you might be another victim of the dreaded ‘UD5 squeal’. If so, the cure seems to be to disable the ‘C1E CPU Enhanced Halt state’ in the Advanced CPU Features section of the BIOS, which should also cure any PSU noises. This parameter is normally used to reduce power consumption but, due to an unfortunate design flaw, can produce a noisy side-effect with this motherboard model.
Published in SOS December 2009
Hey guyz,

I'm using a 12 core: Dual Xeon Six-Core. Have you heard anything bad about it? Also, is it a step down from the i7 processors? I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA Motherboard that I'm using. I suppose both processors can fit in the board. Which processor is better for Pro Tools 9.0.3?

Thanks,
Ziggy

mano111
06-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Ziggy,

I'm a bit confused, do you have a built system with dual Xeon 6 core, or do you have the Gigabyte motherboard that has only 1 CPU socket? or do you have both and just want to know more about it?

There is one user with a known to work with PT9 PC build that uses dual Xeon 6 cores (Nehalem) for a total of 12 cores and 24 threads. His system is a killer and is a top performer. However there is an issue with PT 9 using more than 16 of those thread under Windows 7. Avid is working on a fix.

I personally think this kinda system is way overkill for any user, especially considering the cost. If you already own it, then by all means use it and tell us all about it.

There are 2 differances between Xeon and i7. One is clock speeds that favor the i7 and second is the type of RAM used. The Xeon uses ECC RAM that is slightly slower yet more reliable (in theory).

Melthoven
06-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Hello all, im trying to get the current Bios system onto my system. Mines have never been updated. I've had this build for about 1 1/2years now. works fine but i've always suffered from the UDA SQUEAL. As for system performance works like a charm. COuld someone direct me to WHICH BIOS UPGRADE i should be using from this list ?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3265&dl=1#bios

Melthoven/Meltoast
DIGI 003 RACK/i7 920, GA-EX58-UD3R, 6gb OCZ Platinum ddr3 1600, 2x 640gb WD Caviar Black/ pt 8.04
Windows xp home edition
myspace/melthovenmeltoast

xZiggy
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Ziggy,

I'm a bit confused, do you have a built system with dual Xeon 6 core, or do you have the Gigabyte motherboard that has only 1 CPU socket? or do you have both and just want to know more about it?

There is one user with a known to work with PT9 PC build that uses dual Xeon 6 cores (Nehalem) for a total of 12 cores and 24 threads. His system is a killer and is a top performer. However there is an issue with PT 9 using more than 16 of those thread under Windows 7. Avid is working on a fix.

I personally think this kinda system is way overkill for any user, especially considering the cost. If you already own it, then by all means use it and tell us all about it.

There are 2 differances between Xeon and i7. One is clock speeds that favor the i7 and second is the type of RAM used. The Xeon uses ECC RAM that is slightly slower yet more reliable (in theory).
Hey Mano,

It's a 1 processor called a Xeon Dual 6 Core. It's a humungous processor. It's from Rain Computers. Frankly, I don't think that ANYONE should purchase a ready-built system from any manufacturer. I've tried 2 different ones and could build a better, cheaper and more reliable system myself. Just a little learning on what parts fit well together and run well together is all you need!! (And a little shoppin' around of the same product in different vendors for the thrifty users.)

This is the same MoBo as another user in this thread. (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R) I'm wondering if the i7 can fit in the same socket as the Xeon Duel 6 Core. Or would I have to get another MoBo for it to match. (Bundle??)

And do not disable the "Multi Treading" on it.

Ziggy

albee1952
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey Mano,

It's a 1 processor called a Xeon Dual 6 Core. It's a humungous processor. It's from Rain Computers. Frankly, I don't think that ANYONE should purchase a ready-built system from any manufacturer. I've tried 2 different ones and could build a better, cheaper and more reliable system myself. Just a little learning on what parts fit well together and run well together is all you need!! (And a little shoppin' around of the same product in different vendors for the thrifty users.)

This is the same MoBo as another user in this thread. (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R) I'm wondering if the i7 can fit in the same socket as the Xeon Duel 6 Core. Or would I have to get another MoBo for it to match. (Bundle??)

And do not disable the "Multi Treading" on it.

Ziggy
That motherboard is a socket 1366 and will take any of the i7 9xx series cpu's

xZiggy
06-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey Cool Mano, :D

I'll use that with a new Processor. I'm going to try a bunch of Crucial RAM boards with more RAM in the boards first. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll try the i7 processor with 4 cores (processors) it.

I'm trying to fix this glitch in my system it either keeps clipping or coming up with this Error -6031 (RAM overload) in it. So, I'm hoping it'll work out. I've not used many RTAS plugins at all and have changed the configuration of the playback with little success. I'm still chippin' away at it. There are a bunch of avenues I can test out for it.

Thanks for your help,
Ziggy

clydetower
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey there,

Anybody put together a stable i7 p67 2600 build for pt9 ? If so, which MOBO you got under the hood?

Thx

Clyde

mano111
06-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey there,

Anybody put together a stable i7 p67 2600 build for pt9 ? If so, which MOBO you got under the hood?

Thx

Clyde

I'm using Intel DP67BG motherboard with i7 2600K for about 6 months now. I'm still running PT LE 8.0.4. on Win7 64

There are a couple of DUC members that run PT9 on P67 boards from Asus and Asrock (I think...). AFAIK there haven't been any compatibility issues with P67, other than some issues with PTHD cards.

Bodie
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Running 2Gb per slot in mine...12Gb overall (win7 64 bit, pt9hd)

filosofem
06-29-2011, 12:47 PM
There are a couple of DUC members that run PT9 on P67 boards from Asus and Asrock (I think...). AFAIK there haven't been any compatibility issues with P67, other than some issues with PTHD cards.
IIRC those PT HD users having issues are HD TDM PCI cards.

Culhane
07-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Been away for a while, things seem to have quieted down, unless I am in the wrong place for new Windows system builds.
Where'd everybody go ?
I am thinking of building a system with one of the socket 1155 SandyBridge Intel chips (i52500K/i62600K). I notice Intel has added a new Z68 chipset to generally combine features of the P67/H67.
Now, I know people are generally recommending against on board video, but, considering how this architecture seems to take onboard video to a new level, plus the generally increased processing power, it seems like a plausable, cost effective option. Has anyone tried a Z68 SandyBridge build?

filosofem
07-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Dedicated Graphic Controllers is the recommended Avid way, end of story.

bigsnack
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I actually just completed a new build using a Z68 board over the weekend. Here is the lineup:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 MB
Core i5 2500
8 GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 - 1600
Radeon HD 5750 1 GB Video Card
Qty. 2 Seagate Barracuda 6 Gb / s hard drives.

I have an Mbox 3 that I've used with an old Core 2 Quad without any issues. Unfortunately I am having a hard time getting the Mbox 3 to play nice so far with the new system. I have heavy distortion and crackling on the Mbox outputs at the moment, both with regular Windows audio as well as Pro Tools audio. I have wiped the slate clean and tried installing the Mbox drivers and PT9 right away after a fresh W7 install, but no such luck yet. I am be very curious to see other people's results with the new Z68 chipset.

Has anyone ever heard of certain USB chipsets causing problems for the Mbox? I was considering buying a PCI USB card to see if a different USB chipset might fix my issue. I might try another clean slate install as well.

Culhane
07-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Interesting. I take it the mbox was working ok on another system ?
I have an 002 rack. I notice you do have a dedicated video card. Presumably you could get your video off the motherboard without the video card(?). I would try the system without the video card and see if that is any different. Just making a direct comparison could be illuminating.
Anyway thanks for the feedback, these kind of reports, particularly if duplicated can be quiite helpful. The SandyBridge architecture is promising from a hardware performance standpoint. Generally Avids recommendations are rather behind the hardware development, and quite limited - which makes a forum such as this particularly useful.

mano111
07-19-2011, 02:13 AM
A few builders, myself included have had very good 'luck' with P67 based boards from Intel and Asus (even an Asrock, I think). Add a $30 Nvidia Video card and your good to go.

There is no real benefit in Z68 if you don't intend to use the integrated GPU.

bigsnack
07-19-2011, 05:28 AM
A few builders, myself included have had very good 'luck' with P67 based boards from Intel and Asus (even an Asrock, I think). Add a $30 Nvidia Video card and your good to go.

There is no real benefit in Z68 if you don't intend to use the integrated GPU.

Yeah that's the exact conclusion I had come to as well. I'm going to do another round of testing this weekend, and then the next step would be returning the board and ordering a P67 based board and seeing how I fare.

Culhane
07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info, good to know. I kind of hate to 'waste' the video component of the CPU, but, of course, if it doesn't work with ProTools, its not useful.

bigsnack
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info, good to know. I kind of hate to 'waste' the video component of the CPU, but, of course, if it doesn't work with ProTools, its not useful.

I will definitely report back if I get the board working or not. If anyone else gets a Z68 board, please let us know here if you get it to work! Again, the issue does not seem to be with Pro Tools specifically, more with the Mbox 3 driver. Stay tuned...

xarkon
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Here's my build, on Z68 Sandy Bridge architecture.

MB GIGABYTE|GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 Z68 1155
MEM 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
WL ADAPTER ASUS|PCE-N13 R
CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R
DVD BUR SONY OPTIARC | AD-7261S-0B%
MS WIN 7 PROFESSIONAL FULL
PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-850AX 850W RT
HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX (2, one for OS, one for Audio)
CPU COOLER ZALMAN|CNPS11X EXTREME R
VGA PNY|VCQFX580-PCIE-PB FX580 RT

Case is a Corsair 600T.

Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 and Ableton 8.2.2 are running fine so far. The only glitch I have encountered was the Realtek audio driver - forgot to disable and had some weird, distorted tracks while recording clips in Ableton. No problems since disabling.

My interface is a DigiRack 003+. The FW chipset on the Gigabyte is TI. I debated getting the UD5 board instead (also TI) but thought there might be some reason to need the extra hi-speed PCI Express slots in the future.

Yes, some things are overkill - 16GB of RAM. Needed a new system now - couldn't really wait for Ivy Bridge (early 2012), but wanted to have some things in place as the software demands increase. Ableton is supposed to be in process for 64 bit, though no word on a release date.

I haven't done a dVerb test. Not overclocking yet but it seems that many are able to achieve 4.5 - 4.9GHz reliably with the 2600K.

I was running a Power Mc G5 before (single CPU). The most noticeable difference, so far, is in running virtual instruments - Arturia V collection synths. On the G5, an average ARP 2600 patch would take 30-35% of CPU; switching patches was a time to get a cup of coffee. On the new machine, the same patches run about 1-2% of CPU and patches switch instantly.

I will be moving in a third drive to store samples.

Boot time is about the same on either system. Go figure; no doubt the dominance of disk speed. After that, the new box wins.

Dave

filosofem
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Here's my build, on Z68 Sandy Bridge architecture.

MB GIGABYTE|GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 Z68 1155
MEM 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
WL ADAPTER ASUS|PCE-N13 R
CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R
DVD BUR SONY OPTIARC | AD-7261S-0B%
MS WIN 7 PROFESSIONAL FULL
PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-850AX 850W RT
HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX (2, one for OS, one for Audio)
CPU COOLER ZALMAN|CNPS11X EXTREME R
VGA PNY|VCQFX580-PCIE-PB FX580 RT

Case is a Corsair 600T.

Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 and Ableton 8.2.2 are running fine so far. The only glitch I have encountered was the Realtek audio driver - forgot to disable and had some weird, distorted tracks while recording clips in Ableton. No problems since disabling.

Yes, some things are overkill - 16GB of RAM. Needed a new system now - couldn't really wait for Ivy Bridge (early 2012), but wanted to have some things in place as the software demands increase. Ableton is supposed to be in process for 64 bit, though no word on a release date.

I haven't done a dVerb test.
Very nice. Ummm... disable the audio at the BIOS level and uninstall the Realtek audio driver. And no, no 16 GB RAM isn't overkill. Post that Dverb test when you can, we've been waiting for this benchmark. :cool:

Zooce
07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Anyone do a recent build with a Media Composer 5.5.2 and Pro Tools 9.0.3 co-install?

Looking to do this within the next 6 months, curious if anyone has been successful?

Thanks,

Dana

philip888
07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Anyone do a recent build with a Media Composer 5.5.2 and Pro Tools 9.0.3 co-install?

Looking to do this within the next 6 months, curious if anyone has been successful?

Thanks,

Dana

I am running MC 5.0.4 and PT 9.0.3 on the same drive and all is well here.:D

Zooce
07-28-2011, 09:41 PM
So I'm just in the research phase of building a new computer, so I put together a list of some components that might work well.

When I do eventually build a system, I'll be running Pro Tools 9 and Media Composer 5.5 (or the latest of each) and want to be able to upgrade a little bit, like to Pro Tools HD Native. I'd also use it to upload my short videos to YouTube and Vimeo.

Here's the list. Check it out, see what you think. Did I totally miss something, or are one of the components completely incompatible?

- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core

- GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3

- CORSAIR Vengence 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (will want to expand to 16GBs later)

- PNY Quadro FX 3800 1GB

- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1000W ATX 12V / EPS 12V

- Antec KUHLER H20 920 (because it's cool)

- Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6GB/s (system drive)

- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3GB/s (x2) (media drives)

- Thermaltake Level 10 GT ATX Full Tower

- Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit

- Kaspersky Internet Security

All of this comes to just over $2500 on newegg, but obviously I can probably find some discounts on a few of these items elsewhere, and when I eventually have the money to build a system, this same build might actually be cheaper, who knows.

Anyways, any comments would great!

Peace,

Dana

filosofem
07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey Dana, that system looks great and I'd personally be interested in hearing how well that PNY Quadro FX 3800 card works for you. And furthermore when you upgrade to HD Native and this build is successful, I'd like to post it over on the Intel Builds for Pro Tools HD Native (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=289048) thread.

Mascola24
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Dana,

just out of curiousity, what made you go with that setup? Particularly, the motherboard...the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3?

Zooce
07-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey Dana, that system looks great and I'd personally be interested in hearing how well that PNY Quadro FX 3800 card works for you. And furthermore when you upgrade to HD Native and this build is successful, I'd like to post it over on the Intel Builds for Pro Tools HD Native (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=289048) thread.

Yea absolutely, hopefully it will be within the next six months. (I'd do it tomorrow if I could lol)

Dana,

just out of curiousity, what made you go with that setup? Particularly, the motherboard...the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3?

Really it just came down to looks and functionality. The mobo has enough PCIe slots for me, it's got a decent amount of connections, SATA 6, and I like the heatpipe design with the 4 heatsinks lol.

The brand of anti-virus or internet security software is still up in the air, but that's another story. And an SSD might be cool too, but I don't think AVID recommends it.

Just to be clear, I don't know a ton about computer components YET, but I know enough so far to have put that list together. Any suggestions would be great too if you think I'd be better off switching something out.

This actually brings me to another question (a newbie question), can the PT HD and HD Native cards only use the PCIe slots (not PCIe 2.0)? That's what size it looks like their PCIe pins are on the cards themselves.

Thanks again!!

EGS
07-30-2011, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=}...- Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6GB/s (system drive)

- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3GB/s (x2) (media drives)...[/QUOTE]I'd suggest Sata 3 for system, Sata 6 for PT and samples.

filosofem
07-30-2011, 02:36 PM
And an SSD might be cool too, but I don't think AVID recommends it.
That is correct though there are users using them. At your own risk.

can the PT HD and HD Native cards only use the PCIe slots (not PCIe 2.0)? That's what size it looks like their PCIe pins are on the cards themselves.
HD Native card is x4 PCIe slot and supports seated in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Standard seating is graphics card in first x16 PCIe slot and HD Native card in second x16 PCIe slot.

filosofem
07-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I'd suggest Sata 3 for system, Sata 6 for PT and samples.
Yeah, I agree, currently, that Z68 board supports 2x SATA 6 connectors and 4x SATA 3 connectors. System - SATA 3 and Recording drive and Sample drive on SATA 6 connectors respectively.

Zooce
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
I'd suggest Sata 3 for system, Sata 6 for PT and samples.

Yeah, I agree, currently, that Z68 board supports 2x SATA 6 connectors and 4x SATA 3 connectors. System - SATA 3 and Recording drive and Sample drive on SATA 6 connectors respectively.

Oh ok, yea that actually makes more sense.

HD Native card is x4 PCIe slot and supports seated in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Standard seating is graphics card in first x16 PCIe slot and HD Native card in second x16 PCIe slot.

Awesome, I've been wondering about that for a while now. Thanks!

happs01
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I am new on here, so this might be random. I tried the GIGABYTE GAX58AUD3R. HATED IT!. I am RMAing it now. I almost hope they DON'T GIVE IT BACK!

THE BUILD:

i7 950
Coolermaster N520 (don't trust liquid cooling..... yet)
ASUS EAH5450 Silent GPU
Kingston HyperX 1333 4GB
Adaptec TI 4300 Firewire
ThermalTake 750
Firewire Audiophile
ProTools MPowered 7.1
WD Caviar Black 500GB (data and a game or two)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (audio)

I want to upgrade to 6 cores eventually and upgrade PT in the future if necessary.

Since you need an outboard 1394 port anyway, What do y'all think about this as a platform:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131665

Seems nice and lean and CHEAP to me....
I like this about it.:"5 year warranty, Militarized standard certified components (Chokes, MOSEFETs, and Capacitors)"

or

http://www.directron.com/p6x58de.html
...all the bells an whistles

Thanks much.

filosofem
08-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Kingston HyperX 1333 4GB
Adaptec TI 4300 Firewire

Windows 7 64? Surely you would require 6GB minimum, no? And I would pick the ASUS Sabertooth board. Ummm... FW Adapter, is that Avid compatible?

mykhal c
08-02-2011, 12:57 AM
That is correct though there are users using them. At your own risk.

actually i'd seat it in the slot that is sharin' the fewest number IRQs...or the one where you can isolate its' thru-put the best. the mobo manual should layout it out pretty plainly on what would be the best choice;)

mano111
08-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Windows 7 64? Surely you would require 6GB minimum, no? And I would pick the ASUS Sabertooth board.

+1

happs01
08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks to filosofem and mano111. Right now, I am running good ol' XP 32bit SP3. Not sure about the Avid approved firewire card. It is a Texas Instruments. It works great with the Audiophile. No probs whatsoever.

I plan to upgrade in the future. I am a noob at this and will not be running all kinds of tracks, busses, vocals, and plugins etc. This query was more to get an idea of which motherboard, and you both answered that question. Thanks!

glenpinn
08-04-2011, 09:15 PM
hi everyone, well im in a quandry after my son has been using his 21.5" late 2009 3.0ghz dual core iMac for audio work, along with a Firestudio project firewire interface, and using the included Presonis software.

i recently built a new i7 2600 mATX pc for video editing and dont need it now as i bought a new 18.5" quad core qosmio laptop to use.

the i7 pc specs are listed below, and need to ask the following questions.

1. the firewire card is an addon Pci card as the mobo i bought didnt have on board firewire, so is there a specific firewire card wih a specific chipset i should buy to put in this pc.

2. i see on the Avid website that Avid only support nvidia quadro cards for Pro-Tools 9.0, in particular, FX 4800/3800/1800/580/290 so is this correct, or can i use another nvidia card as my son will want to use this pc for gaming and i can sell the Ati 5770 card or swap it for a decent nvidia gaming card if they are supported.

3. should my son get one of the new M-Box Pro firewire interfaces given that Avid said the Firestudio interface might not be supported on Pro-Tools 9.

4. is the intel H67 chip mobo any good for audio work ???

any other questions i will ask later on once i see how this thing stacks up.

cheers

Case = Antec NSK3480 mATX + Antec Earthwatts 380w Psu
Mobo = Aus P8H67-M-LE (B3)
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=anRBLQ8WEKcWZHSt
Cpu = i7 2600 quad core (intel HD2000 graphics)
Ram = 8gb (2x 4gb) Corsair XMS3 ddr3 1333mhz
Cpu Graphics = Intel HD2000 (onboard cpu)
Dedicated Graphics = XFX Ati 5770 1gb (dual slot)
Burner = Benq DW204S 24x
Hdd 1 = Western Digital 1tb Caviar Black Usb 3.0
Hdd 2 = Samsung 2tb new june 2011 Usb 2.0
Screen = samsung 24" lcd (1920x1080)

tgallino
08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Hello all;

I have been reading this thread for a month now. Wow! a ton of info to digest!
I just recently put together the following system:

GA X58A UD3R
I7 950
NOCTUA NHU 12P
12GB MUSHKIN BLACKLINE 1600
OCZ 750W P/S

WD CAVIAR BLACK 500 GB (SYSTEM)
WD CAVIAR BLACK 1.5TB (AUDIO)
WD CAVIAR BLACK 1 TB (SAMPLES)

ASUS ATI RADEON 5450 SILENT 1 GB VIDEO
PLEXTOR 890SA DVD SATA

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64

I have installed windows, everything boots up fine. I am concerned about the memory frequency shows 1066. I have built many systems before, and have done bios tweaks, but this one scares me, because I am just not sure what I am doing. I have read this thread over and over, and can't seem to find exactly how to adjust my ram to run correctly within the system. It probably is there, but where?

I will be running PT9 with Rme Raydat, (which i am running fine on XP SP3
on a core 2 duo).

Well so much for my long post.

I appreciate all the info you guys have posted so far. Really informative,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Death2AllButMetal
08-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Any predictions on the adequacy and performance of this build? pre-built system (http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dragoncomputers.nl%2Fcomponent% 2Fpage%2Cshop.product_details%2Fflypage%2Cshop.fly page_new%2Fproduct_id%2C761%2Fcategory_id%2C33%2Fm anufacturer_id%2C0%2Foption%2Ccom_virtuemart%2FIte mid%2C26%2F&act=url)

mal silvestro
08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have just purchased PT9...changing over from Sonar 8.5. I'm building a new system to suit with the following spec:

CORE i7 980/3.33GHz/4.80GT QPI/12MB CACHE/LGA1366,
CoolerMaster 212+ CPU Cooler
ASUS P6X58D-E mobo,
KINGSTON 24GB Hyper X RAM - 2 pairs (3x4GB) KHX1600C9D3K3/12G DDR3 1600MHz,
2 x WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 64MB CACHE SATA3 HDD,
Leadtek PCIe Quadro 600 1GB,
LG BLURAY WRITER ,
FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE XL FULL TOWER Pre-fitted with noise absorbing material (looking ahead for expansion/cooling and quiet operation),
ANTEC BLUE 750WPOWER SUPPLY,
MICROSOFTWINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64BIT.

Echo Audiofire 8 + RME Fireface 800 interfaces, outboard Yamaha 02R96v2 digital mixer/control surface.

I intend to use the system with PT9 averaging 16-24 track of audio channels and for video editing using Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Pinnacle. All these Apps recommend using Quadro so I'm assuming more RAM and Quadro graphics card would help???

I'm unsure about the Quadro 600 video card as it isnt listed on the PT9 approved nVidia cards. Having trouble finding a Quadro FX580 and the next step up in the approved PT9 list is Quadro FX1800 which is double the price of the Q600 and FX580. Any issues with the Quadro 600... is it stable?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Mal

albee1952
08-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Any predictions on the adequacy and performance of this build? pre-built system (http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dragoncomputers.nl%2Fcomponent% 2Fpage%2Cshop.product_details%2Fflypage%2Cshop.fly page_new%2Fproduct_id%2C761%2Fcategory_id%2C33%2Fm anufacturer_id%2C0%2Foption%2Ccom_virtuemart%2FIte mid%2C26%2F&act=url)
As long as you add a separate drive for recording, it SHOULD perform well. The X58 chipsets have been solid. 6-8GB of RAM is the magic amount(for best performance, according to my local authorized PT dealer/builder).

To Mal Silvestro, the graphics load is very light in Pro Tools, so there is no need to spend a ton of money on the card. Most any 512-1GB card from nVidia should work fine.

Lasse78
08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey! Am putting together a new machine, cause my old dualcore is posessed by demons -

CPU - CORE I7 I7-2600K 8 MB (OC)
MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
RAM - KINGSTON HYPERX 4 X 4 GB
KABINET - FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R3
DVD - SAMSUNG SUPER-WRITEMASTER SH-S223C
PSU - CORSAIR ENTHUSIAST SERIES TX650 V2
DATA DISK - OCZ Vertex 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB (I'VE NEVER BEEN TOYING AROUND WITH RAID0, SHOULD I ORDER ANOTHER, AND DIG INTO IT?)
OS - Win 7 Home Premium

Please chime in, with your awesome knowledge.

As a audio drive, I've got my old 7200 rpm disk - Do not remember it's buffer size, but is 16mb much better than 64mb?
BUT!!! I've got my old data drive in spare HD SATA2 150 GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR 16MB 10.000RPM which I consider using as an audio drive. Will it outperform, a 7200 rpm 64mb disk?

EDIT!!

I've been advised to change this to a i7 2600k machine from a i7 960 3.2GHz

filosofem
08-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm unsure about the Quadro 600 video card as it isnt listed on the PT9 approved nVidia cards.
It's a recommended guideline and Avid have Qualified those cards as it's those cards at Avid's disposal. A lot of user run ATI HD 5000 Series or ATI HD 6000 Series cards and they're not approved. Ummm... I haven't heard many users using Quadro 600 but that doesn't mean it won't work. The rest of your system looks good.

mal silvestro
08-15-2011, 05:45 AM
It's a recommended guideline and Avid have Qualified those cards as it's those cards at Avid's disposal. A lot of user run ATI HD 5000 Series or ATI HD 6000 Series cards and they're not approved. Ummm... I haven't heard many users using Quadro 600 but that doesn't mean it won't work. The rest of your system looks good.
Thanks to mano111, albee1952 and filosofem...and everyone else of course!

I'm preferring the Quadro considering the video editing work I'll be doing as well.

I'm looking for a decent firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset as...they seem to be preferred with the hardware I'll be using.

I've come across 2 cards:
1. SUNIX FIREWIRE 800 64BIT 1394B,PCI CARD 1394a and 1394 backward compatible. With-
• Chipset: TI TSB81BA3 (PHY) and TSB82AA2 (LYNX)
• Type: IEEE1394B/A FireWire 64-bit PCI Card
• Port: 3 x IEEE P394B (9-pin) ports
2. STLAB ST-F-261 - PCI-Express - 2+1 Port - 1394a. Chipset:Texas Instruments XIO22313AZHH ??? Haven't found much info on this chipset... even on the TI website?

Any thoughts?...1394B doesn't really interst me. 1394a is all I need.... but compatibility/stability is what I'm really after.

The ASUS P6X58D-E mobo has onboard firewire with a VIA 6308P controller....I've read that this chipset has had issues with audio interfaces hence why I'm looking at a TI based card as above.
-or use a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0) mobo which features a compatible(?) Texas Instrument TSB43AB23 chipset onboard. but I've read in this forum that these boards have a "digital squealing/looping" issue ???? or is this revision OK?

I'm keen to start building this system but don't want to waste money with a poor choice.
Thanks to all.
Mal

albee1952
08-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Hey! Am putting together a new machine, cause my old dualcore is posessed by demons -

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
RAM - KINGSTON HYPERX 4 X 4 GB
DATA DISK - OCZ Vertex 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB (I'VE NEVER BEEN TOYING AROUND WITH RAID0, SHOULD I ORDER ANOTHER, AND DIG INTO IT?)
OS - Win 7 Home Premium

Please chime in, with your awesome knowledge.

As a audio drive, I've got my old 7200 rpm disk - Do not remember it's buffer size, but is 16mb much better than 64mb?
BUT!!! I've got my old data drive in spare HD SATA2 150 GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR 16MB 10.000RPM which I consider using as an audio drive. Will it outperform, a 7200 rpm 64mb disk?

EDIT!!

I've been advised to change this to a i7 2600k machine from a i7 960 3.2GHz
Until someone posts big success with the 68's onboard graphics, I would go with the 67 version and a proper graphics card. I would also get 8GB of RAM instead of 16(spend the leftover cash on a WD Caviar Black drive for recording. Technically, the Velociraptor will outperform any 7200 rpm drive, but will you notice it in Pro Tools? Probably not:rolleyes:

Lasse78
08-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Until someone posts big success with the 68's onboard graphics, I would go with the 67 version

would any p67 version be ok, like the :
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)

Lasse78
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
This is an updated list, with new mobo, recording drive and video card.

MOBO - ASUS P8P67 PRO (rev 3.1)
RAM - KINGSTON HYPERX 4 X 4 GB (MAYBE ONLY 2X4)
VIDEO - Gigabyte GV R575SL-1gl (1GB)
DATA DISK - OCZ Vertex 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB
RECORDING FILES - WD Caviar Black
OS - Win 7 Home Premium

a7bull
08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I have a question. Using this forum I had a very successful i7 920 build a couple years ago and I'm thinking seriously of upgrading to win 7 64 and Protools 9 and also upgrading some of the hardware.

I was going with a Gigabyte GA- EX58A UD3R to replace my old EX58 UD3R so I can use more memory (in hopes of eventually getting 64 bit PT) but I'm trying to decide whether it would be worthwhile to upgrade the CPU to the i7 970 from the 920. Would there be a noticeable difference? I use a lot of virtual instruments and sample based stuff so things do get a little tight resource wise. Any opinions? Or would I just be wasting $550? Thanks!

A. W. Bullington

filosofem
08-15-2011, 07:25 PM
MOBO - ASUS P8P67 PRO (rev 3.1)
RAM - KINGSTON HYPERX 4 X 4 GB (MAYBE ONLY 2X4)
VIDEO - Gigabyte GV R575SL-1gl (1GB)

Yeah, P67 Chipset, what a waste Z68 support on-board graphics. Ummm... RAM the more the merrier but either Quadro or ATI HD series graphics.

filosofem
08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I was going with a Gigabyte GA- EX58A UD3R to replace my old EX58 UD3R so I can use more memory (in hopes of eventually getting 64 bit PT) but I'm trying to decide whether it would be worthwhile to upgrade the CPU to the i7 970 from the 920. Would there be a noticeable difference? I use a lot of virtual instruments and sample based stuff so things do get a little tight resource wise. Any opinions?
You mean GA-X58A-UD3R. Hmmm... personally, I would replace your RAM with DDR3 1333 MHz Triple Channel 12 GB Kit (4GB x 3 DIMM). You populate all DIMM slot to 24 GB, 2x 12GB Triple Channel Kits. Here you can offset VI performance with VE Pro under a 64-bit OS environment. Intel Core i7 920 is still very powerful.

mano111
08-16-2011, 09:20 AM
You mean GA-X58A-UD3R. Hmmm... personally, I would replace your RAM with DDR3 1333 MHz Triple Channel 12 GB Kit (4GB x 3 DIMM). You populate all DIMM slot to 24 GB, 2x 12GB Triple Channel Kits. Here you can offset VI performance with VE Pro under a 64-bit OS environment. Intel Core i7 920 is still very powerful.

I agree. Replacing the motherboard seem excessive. Swap your CPU to 970 only if you are low on CPU%. But if you really need the CPU upgrade I suggest waiting for the next gen socket 2011 CPUs that are due later this year or early 2012.

If you have decent cooling and a decent PSU you can try overclocking it a bit. It might be enough for the few months of waiting...

a7bull
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree. Replacing the motherboard seem excessive. Swap your CPU to 970 only if you are low on CPU%. But if you really need the CPU upgrade I suggest waiting for the next gen socket 2011 CPUs that are due later this year or early 2012.

If you have decent cooling and a decent PSU you can try overclocking it a bit. It might be enough for the few months of waiting...

The motherboard I have now has 4 RAM slots instead of 6 so I can't take advantage of 24G of RAM. I suppose I could just do 16G but I'm a little leery of the 4 slot setup. If I was to stick with my current motherboard, I would probably go to 12 G of RAM in 3 slots.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I hadn't considered the VE Pro but that looks like a great idea.
Andy B

mano111
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
The motherboard I have now has 4 RAM slots instead of 6 so I can't take advantage of 24G of RAM. I suppose I could just do 16G but I'm a little leery of the 4 slot setup. If I was to stick with my current motherboard, I would probably go to 12 G of RAM in 3 slots...
...Andy B

Yup, 3x4 is the way to go with that board. 12GB is alot.

Lasse78
08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, P67 Chipset, what a waste Z68 support on-board graphics. Ummm... RAM the more the merrier but either Quadro or ATI HD series graphics.

the Gigabyte GV R575SL-1GI (1 GB) card is a ATI HD5750 card, so I guess It's cool?

audiobob23
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi, I'm a long time reader of this forum, so I wanted to see if I could get some help from the experts with this build. I've done a lot of component replacement in my computers, but never built one from the ground up, so go easy on me please.

I am using PT8 with a Digi002 Rack, but will likely up that to PT9 on an 003.

Here's what I propose to build, based largely on Mano's build from the first page:

Intel i7 2600k proc
Intel DP67BGB3 mobo
2x G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 memory
ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 8400 512MB 64bit PCI express 2.0 x16 video
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 32MB cache hard disks, 1 system, 1 backup. (already have FW audio drives)
Corsair Enthusiast CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
Cooler Master Hyper N520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm CPU cooler
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA 24x DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
A quiet, awesome-looking mid-tower case

I'd appreciate your thoughts on any pitfalls I'm not seeing here.

Also, I am wondering what other memory options may be available and/or better quality, as I can only find the G-skill at one store.

And lastly, from what I can tell, this mobo has only one firewire port. I've always run the 002 and audio drives from separate ports. Will I need another FW adapter? Recommendations?

Thank you all so much!

Audio Bob

albee1952
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Re the 12GB RAM setup, my local dealer that does lots of turnkey systems, swears by 6-8GB as the "happy spot" for performance. Has anybody done a system where they went from 3x2 to 3x4 and can offer an experienced comment? The dealer says the extra RAM takes some cpu juice to address and it can actually rob some PT performance. I'm just saying.........

a7bull
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Re the 12GB RAM setup, my local dealer that does lots of turnkey systems, swears by 6-8GB as the "happy spot" for performance. Has anybody done a system where they went from 3x2 to 3x4 and can offer an experienced comment? The dealer says the extra RAM takes some cpu juice to address and it can actually rob some PT performance. I'm just saying.........

Oh great! Now I'm right back where I started! Unless, of course, I don't cannibalize my old system but bite the bullet and build a NEW one...use the old one for samples etc. That way I can use the monster i7 970 to address the additional RAM...is that true about additional RAM and CPU drain or is it science fiction? Anybody? My head is spinnin'....

Right now, if I'm using Trillian or certain Omnisphere patches...I start getting close to my RAM limit pretty fast. It can be a real pain. The VE Pro idea seems to be a pretty good workaround (thanks Filosofem) if I get Win7 64 on the new machine. Maybe I should just go with a 2 machine setup. Sigh...my wife will be SO pleased....

Andy B

mano111
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi, I'm a long time reader of this forum, so I wanted to see if I could get some help from the experts with this build. I've done a lot of component replacement in my computers, but never built one from the ground up, so go easy on me please.

I am using PT8 with a Digi002 Rack, but will likely up that to PT9 on an 003.

Here's what I propose to build, based largely on Mano's build from the first page:

Intel i7 2600k proc
Intel DP67BGB3 mobo
2x G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 memory
ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 8400 512MB 64bit PCI express 2.0 x16 video
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 32MB cache hard disks, 1 system, 1 backup. (already have FW audio drives)
Corsair Enthusiast CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
Cooler Master Hyper N520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm CPU cooler
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA 24x DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
A quiet, awesome-looking mid-tower case

I'd appreciate your thoughts on any pitfalls I'm not seeing here.

Also, I am wondering what other memory options may be available and/or better quality, as I can only find the G-skill at one store.

And lastly, from what I can tell, this mobo has only one firewire port. I've always run the 002 and audio drives from separate ports. Will I need another FW adapter? Recommendations?

Thank you all so much!

Audio Bob

The Intel DP67BGB3 mobo has an internal header that you can connect to a front panel of your case or buy a bracket for the rear panel slots. Or buy an approved firewire PCI card.

PSU is a bit overkill. ~500W of similar quality would save you a few bucks.

filosofem
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
the Gigabyte GV R575SL-1GI (1 GB) card is a ATI HD5750 card, so I guess It's cool?
Good o.

filosofem
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Right now, if I'm using Trillian or certain Omnisphere patches...I start getting close to my RAM limit pretty fast. It can be a real pain. The VE Pro idea seems to be a pretty good workaround (thanks Filosofem) if I get Win7 64 on the new machine.
I've heard what Albee is saying too but when you are RAM Loading outside of the Pro Tools allocation, namely VSTi's, then you'll need as much RAM as your system can handle. I'd rather a little Pro Tools CPU drain than VSTi draining the crap out of Pro Tools. ;)

audiobob23
08-17-2011, 10:16 AM
The Intel DP67BGB3 mobo has an internal header that you can connect to a front panel of your case or buy a bracket for the rear panel slots. Or buy an approved firewire PCI card.

PSU is a bit overkill. ~500W of similar quality would save you a few bucks.

Thank you for the advice, Mano. I'm now thinking that the heat sink I spec'd might also be overkill, as I don't plan on OCing this rig. Thinking about just using the stock heat sink. Thoughts?

Audio Bob

mano111
08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Stock HS is not recommended in my book. It can get loud during load and its cooling ability is very limited.

If saving money is the goal, go with one of the cheaper tower coolers like the Coolermaster 212+ or the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev 2. They do a much better job than the stock cooler and they do it quietly.

audiobob23
08-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Thanks again, Mano.

One more question for you: Do you know of any difference between the i7 2600k and the 2600, besides easier OCing? As I said, I have no plans to OC, and can get a 2600 for significantly less $ than the 2600k.

Audio Bob

mano111
08-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks again, Mano.

One more question for you: Do you know of any difference between the i7 2600k and the 2600, besides easier OCing? As I said, I have no plans to OC, and can get a 2600 for significantly less $ than the 2600k.

Audio Bob

Differences are ability to OC and a better integrated GPU in the K. Since you'll be using a dedicated GPU and don't plan to OC you can definitely go for the non K version.

BTW it is still possible to OC the vanilla 2600. I have a 2600 for Avid Media Composer and its currently running overclocked to 4.0 GHz. According to Intel its limited to 4.1 max though I've managed 4.3 on the 2600 no K! must be a lucky batch:eek:

muziqman
08-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Hey guys, I hope this is the right section for this question.

I'm thinking of getting an OCZ Vertex 3 60gb for my OS (w7) and Pro Tools. My question is do you think 60gb would be too small or would I need a 120gb. The only programs I would install on it would be Window 7 64bit, Pro Tools, MS Office and some other small apps.

so 60gb too small ?? or would I be fine.

filosofem
08-18-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking of getting an OCZ Vertex 3 60gb for my OS (w7) and Pro Tools. My question is do you think 60gb would be too small or would I need a 120gb.
Well, I have a stripped down OS with SP1 and Pro Tools using 20GB space so perhaps a 60GB OS drive would be achievable.

mykhal c
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, I hope this is the right section for this question.

I'm thinking of getting an OCZ Vertex 3 60gb for my OS (w7) and Pro Tools. My question is do you think 60gb would be too small or would I need a 120gb. The only programs I would install on it would be Window 7 64bit, Pro Tools, MS Office and some other small apps.

so 60gb too small ?? or would I be fine.

these days i carve all my PT partitions out at 50gb. but i have no samples installed on the OS partition...not even the AIR CC VIs. i usually have 50% free space when all said and done.

audiobob23
08-19-2011, 03:11 AM
Differences are ability to OC and a better integrated GPU in the K. Since you'll be using a dedicated GPU and don't plan to OC you can definitely go for the non K version.

BTW it is still possible to OC the vanilla 2600. I have a 2600 for Avid Media Composer and its currently running overclocked to 4.0 GHz. According to Intel its limited to 4.1 max though I've managed 4.3 on the 2600 no K! must be a lucky batch:eek:

Thanks again Mano. Parts arrive early next week. Can't wait!:D

rocketeer
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone.

First off let me apologize in advance for the general general-ness of my question. I've been doing tons of research for days, and I'm just confused. My 3 year old Q6600 build just had a drive crash and the Antec case I have has a design flaw which causes it to discharge static electricity... in other words, I want to build a new computer, and now I have all the excuses I need!

So I'm going with a 2600K, an Antec Kuhler, whichever RAM I figure I want (probably Ripjaws), a NZXT H2 case (no more Antec for me!), a Crucial M4 128GB SSD (yeah I know, but if doesn't work out with Pro Tools I've got other uses for it), and a couple of HDD's I already have (unused). I've got a couple of different video cards I can try, though I'm aware of the onboard video capability of the 2600k, and aware that Digi/Avid doesn't support it...

So I'm stuck at the mobo. There's so many different ones, I have total option anxiety. I want to keep it under 200, with firewire (since I've got an 002, though I'll probably switch to a Babyface). I have no idea what to get.

There's so many that are the same price, pretty much the same feature set, I just need some guidance. I was looking at MSi (I've got an inexpensive MSi laptop running Pt 9 perfectly and it was only $500), Gigabyte, and Intel respectively. Not sure about ASUS, that's what I've got now and it's ok.

I'm really sorry about the long-winded, noob-esque post, I really have read a ton here and all over the web. I'd just like some suggestions, you guys are great.

PS I do run a lot of VI's (VSM, Akoustik Piano, BFD 2, etc.) so I was thinking at least 8GB of RAM...

Thanks again, O.

Mascola24
09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone.

First off let me apologize in advance for the general general-ness of my question. I've been doing tons of research for days, and I'm just confused. My 3 year old Q6600 build just had a drive crash and the Antec case I have has a design flaw which causes it to discharge static electricity... in other words, I want to build a new computer, and now I have all the excuses I need!

So I'm going with a 2600K, an Antec Kuhler, whichever RAM I figure I want (probably Ripjaws), a NZXT H2 case (no more Antec for me!), a Crucial M4 128GB SSD (yeah I know, but if doesn't work out with Pro Tools I've got other uses for it), and a couple of HDD's I already have (unused). I've got a couple of different video cards I can try, though I'm aware of the onboard video capability of the 2600k, and aware that Digi/Avid doesn't support it...

So I'm stuck at the mobo. There's so many different ones, I have total option anxiety. I want to keep it under 200, with firewire (since I've got an 002, though I'll probably switch to a Babyface). I have no idea what to get.

There's so many that are the same price, pretty much the same feature set, I just need some guidance. I was looking at MSi (I've got an inexpensive MSi laptop running Pt 9 perfectly and it was only $500), Gigabyte, and Intel respectively. Not sure about ASUS, that's what I've got now and it's ok.

I'm really sorry about the long-winded, noob-esque post, I really have read a ton here and all over the web. I'd just like some suggestions, you guys are great.

PS I do run a lot of VI's (VSM, Akoustik Piano, BFD 2, etc.) so I was thinking at least 8GB of RAM...

Thanks again, O.

I just upgraded from the q6600 to the 2600 literally a week ago... the mobo i went with was the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

no complaints so far. I landed on this one because a lot of other DUC members said it worked well.