PDA

View Full Version : great River Mp2nv Now What??

primomusic
11-18-2008, 11:21 PM
hey guys I got a Great River Mp2nv going into a Ua2192.
Which mic in your experience sounds sweeter with the Great River Mp2nv

Aplication is acoustic guitar, vocals, and percussion.

-TLM 49

-Bock U195

BradLyons
11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Well there are more responses and options available than one could shake a stick at. Microphones are like ice-cream....they all have their own flavor. One thing to remember is the combination of mic and pre as well, because that has a big impact on how BOTH sound. Likewise, we all have our own preferences. For example, I am a big fan of mixing a TUBE MIC with a SOLID STATE PRE or a SOLID STATE MIC with a TUBE PRE. Sometimes I'll mix and match. Both of the mics you mentioned in that range are great mics and certainly worth considering, but let me throw a third out there..... the Mojave Audio MA200. This is in that same price range, actually it's more affordable than the others, but has a lush bottom-end with a smoothe top and excellent character. I really like how the MA200 matches up with that Grace pre. BUT I'd certainly not rule out that Bock either, great mic!!!! I know David Bock personally, his stuff is excellent.

As to the MA200, I've used it on so many sources..... Piano, Kick Drum, Vocals (Male and Female), Acoustic Guitar, Electric Cab, Drum Overheads, Percussion, and other sources. The ONLY thing I've not liked it on was Trumpet----can't get away from Royer's for that.

H-man
11-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Nice, just about any mic will sound great into that. I have the GR myself and cannot say enough about how the SM7 sounds into the GR. I use the SM7 for all kinds of work. Everyone should have one. :-)

primomusic
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
some good info thank you.. Is there anyone who has a bock u195 and a great river combo who can comment?

BradLyons
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Well I don't own that configuration, but I've used it quite a few times. The Great River is very much like an original Neve, but with it's own unique spin and flavor on it. The Bock 195 mic is a unique microphone that while the capsule is made in China, it's still a David Bock mic that is built great and sounds great. There's a switch called the FAT SWITCH.... throw this in and there is a nice bass boost that I believe is under 400Hz that emulates an old-school tube sound. In other words, you get some added warmth and tone. While not tube, it is tube-ish. Up until the mid to late 1960's, microphones were either ribbon or tube for these kinds of studio microphones. That's when FET came to be, or FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTOR and it was a way to have a tube-sound without the use of tubes.

It's a really versatile microphone....male or female vocals, guitars acoustic or electric, kick drum, you name it. Combined with the Great River, you're going to get some nice warmth from the mic with some detailed mids and presence from the pre. While the mic isn't as pristine in the top end as a few others that were mentioned here, it's certainly not going to disappoint you. It was a blessing in disguise when Soundelux dropped the mic division, because now it allows David Bock to do what he wants with the design and more freedom to explore improvements.

Does that help?

primomusic
11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Ive been hearing alot of people saying that the great river and the bock is a bad combo. Is this true

primomusic
11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
bumpskies