PDA

View Full Version : The how's of archiving with DVD's

Dr. J
10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
We've always backed up everything to hard drives and still are, but after having one fail, we've decided to also use dvd's. I have some really good Taiyo Yuden + R dvd's.

Using new mac Pro OS 10.5.4

BUT, when i try to drag my session folder to the dvd window, it keeps putting an alias in there. How do I get the fricken file in like i can with cdr's?

elicious
10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
which dvd window?

crizdee
10-22-2008, 02:17 AM
We've always backed up everything to hard drives and still are, but after having one fail, we've decided to also use dvd's. I have some really good Taiyo Yuden + R dvd's.

BUT, when i try to drag my session folder to the dvd window, it keeps putting an alias in there. How do I get the fricken file in like i can with cdr's?

Try pressing ALT when you drag it!
That used to be the way back in OS9 days:confused:

Chris

Drew Mazurek
10-22-2008, 05:34 AM

Buy Toast. It will span discs and has worked very well for me for years. Using the Finder is slow and actually writes and invisible image to the start up drive before burning.

elicious
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
+1 on toast
( i was curious as to how you were trying to do it, but toast does many things well.)

DigiTechSupt
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
when i try to drag my session folder to the dvd window, it keeps putting an alias in there. How do I get the fricken file in like i can with cdr's?

Article 8398 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8398.html) says:

"After you drag items to the disc, the Finder places aliases to them in the disc’s window. When you burn the disc, the original files that the aliases point to are burned to the disc. In addition, if any folder in the burn folder contains aliases, the original files for those aliases are burned to the disc as well."

HearInc
10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
What do you know... learn something new everyday. That's much handier to just drag the alias in. No copy time.

Dr. J
10-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Article 8398 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8398.html) says:

"After you drag items to the disc, the Finder places aliases to them in the disc’s window. When you burn the disc, the original files that the aliases point to are burned to the disc. In addition, if any folder in the burn folder contains aliases, the original files for those aliases are burned to the disc as well."

Thanks so much for explaining that. I would not have guessed it.