PDA

View Full Version : Assigning multiple Output Paths

w3ird
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi all,
I'm dealing with protools projects that have a lot of different tracks and busses. I was wondering if there is a way to Reassign multiple output path of track/busses at the same time? A keyboard shortcut or I dont know.... The Groups have no effects on the output path.

Thanks!

DigiTechSupt
10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
If you hold 'option' while clicking on a tracks output, it will change the output on all tracks. Add 'shift' to that and it only applies it to selected tracks. Add 'control' to that and it will add the selected output to the current output.

Obviously these are for Mac - swap 'Alt' for 'Option' and the Windows/Start key for 'Control' if you're on a PC.

w3ird
10-16-2008, 12:01 PM
That was fast. Thanks!

w3ird
10-17-2008, 07:58 AM
And is there any way of UNDOING those track assignments? lol

Stig Eliassen
10-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Import session data from a backup session. You can import I/O assignments, and then match the tracks.

Tip - Use 'Save As...' every time you make significant changes in your sessions. Easier to go back when you need to.

BaileyBass
10-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Yes, IF I am understanding you correctly. Press Control/Option/shift.. then click the output of any of the selected tracks. You will see the outputs "checked". Click on one of those and it will release/cancel that output for all the tracks selected. SB

Brent_Sydney
10-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I've also gone through those and a lot more shortcuts on a blog topic
"Mixing it up in the Mix window" FYI linked here:
http://brentheber.com/?p=13
Hope that helps!

sijamaudio
06-16-2015, 03:37 AM
Tip - Use 'Save As...' every time you make significant changes in your sessions. Easier to go back when you need to.

Oh how important this is! It's such a bugger to have to think back through all your routing if you make the simple mistake of not holding down shift.

Yes, IF I am understanding you correctly. Press Control/Option/shift.. then click the output of any of the selected tracks. You will see the outputs "checked". Click on one of those and it will release/cancel that output for all the tracks selected. SB

Does this assign all outputs back to the master, or to the previous outputs they were assigned to? As I usually have plenty of tracks routed to various Aux Inputs before the master

Stig Eliassen
06-16-2015, 05:12 AM
Does this assign all outputs back to the master, or to the previous outputs they were assigned to? As I usually have plenty of tracks routed to various Aux Inputs before the master
No. What I believe BaileyBass said is that with multiple outputs assigned, you can hold Shift+Ctrl+Option and click on the output of any selected track, and click on assigned/checked outputs to remove them. The rest of the assigned outputs for selected tracks will stay.

sijamaudio
06-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Oh I see. So best make sure to save right before doing so if you're prone to hitting the wrong key commands like me!

Stig Eliassen
06-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Oh I see. So best make sure to save right before doing so if you're prone to hitting the wrong key commands like me!
Then I'd practice in a new session where it doesn't matter, just to get used to the key commands, and what they do. Less likely to mess up.

helenvee
07-11-2017, 09:47 AM
I've got a related question. When I'm assigning several outputs to one channel, I wish the menu with all the output/bus options would stay open through several clicks/selections. The way I've been doing it, you have to click the output to open the list of options over and over, once for each new output you're adding. Does anyone know a way to make this menu stay open until you tell it to close? Maybe a modifier key or something?