PDA

View Full Version : Effect recommendations

DonaldM
10-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Up til now I've mainly been using D-Verb and Delay that came with my PT LE 7.4. They've worked well, but I was wondering what suggestions/recommendtions some of you pros might have for adding to the effects aresenal in PT? Which ones do you find work best?

Thanks

albee1952
10-04-2008, 08:06 AM
I like and use the DIGI delay plugs a lot but Dverb gets little use(only when I need simple, subtle or trashy). I like the IK Classik verbs. I here that Breverb is very nice so check if they have a demo version. I use Waves TrueVerb quite a bit but its odd to edit. The TL Space is great sounding(and part of the MPTK so the package gets you several things-BUT wait for the new version of PT before you buy that. Waves Rverb is good sounding and comes with the Reinnesance Bundle which I think is a good value(as the Rcomp and Req are very nice as is the de-esser).

Stig Eliassen
10-04-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm not a pro, but on the RTAS side I like Altiverb. I can also recommend Acousticas EMT245 impulse responses to go with it. I've also heard many good things about Overloud's Breverb, but haven't tested this myself.

For delays I also use from the Digirack plugins, in addition to EchoBoy and Eventide plugins, but I don't think Eventide is available as native plugins. A tip regarding delays that I got from Kenny Gioia - feed the delay (no feedback in the delay plugin) back into itself via a send, and then instantiate an eq, a filter, a modulation plugin, or whatever plugin to add some spice and 'movement' in the delays. This will very often sound more interesting, as no delay repeat will sound the same.

Digital Network
10-04-2008, 08:18 AM
For delay, I mainly use EchoBoy and Lexicon (PSP plugins), Lexicon MX 400 too (hardware). For reverb, I use Breverb.

Where can I read Kenny Gioia's tip ?

DonaldM
10-04-2008, 08:20 AM
A tip regarding delays that I got from Kenny Gioia - feed the delay (no feedback in the delay plugin) back into itself via a send, and then instantiate an eq, a filter, a modulation plugin, or whatever plugin to add some spice and 'movement' in the delays. This will very often sound more interesting, as no delay repeat will sound the same.

Hmmm....intriguing idea. I'll have to give that a try. I like working with a bit of randomness in tracks!\

As I posted this question before I read up on PT 8.0, I think I shall wait for that to see what all is included before jumping to add anything new in this area.

Still, any suggestions are appeciated.

mercurysoto
10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
A great reverb because of its sound, ease of use, and very low cpu usage and latency is Lexicon Pantheon. In fact it's a VST, but with the FXpansion VST to RTAS adapter, I use it without any hassle. It's my number one choice for reverb.

Stiff
10-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I believe the Kenny Gioia tip is on his first DVD but I could be wrong.

My favorite sounding delay is probably the Massey tape delay, but it's not very flexible. I also like Ohm Force Ohmicide - an oldie but a goodie (and very f'ed up! :D ).

I haven't found one single reverb that I truly love. I often find myself using TL Space, but I think VirSyn Reflect is a very underated reverb plug-in that deserves a mention. I like to keep Softube Spring reverb installed as well, but it's a whole other animal.

sunburst79
10-06-2008, 12:25 AM
I hear very nice things about the IK Studio Classics, IK has buy one get one free bundles once a year or so. Thats the time to buy. On my short list.

I don't use the Digi verb stuff much. IMO you really need to tweak it. You CAN get good sounds... its just a little more work. I'll use it on stuff thats buried in the mix. Much slagged but its flexible utility verb.

TL Space is my main Verb, I like the plate and the drum studio settings as starting points. Its one of the main reasons I bought the MPTK.

The Massey TD5, I don't use it a lot but its good when you want a effect that sounds like-well like a effect. Its free to demo and like anything else Steve makes its worth buying....Buy Steve's plugs-his cat needs surgery:-)

SoundToys Native bundle.....Any guitar track sounds better through this stuff. I just bought it and was grinning so hard I swallowed my own ears. Think fat, funky, warm sounding full range seventies studio effects. I have a original pair of late 50's green tube Echoplexes and Echoboy is just as warm and velvety.

Kenny Goias Pro Tools Tips are available in both the Digstore or at GrooveBox music and are highly recommended. Albee is very much correct in stating W8-4-8, DTS said that one of the new Digireverbs is based of Structures Reverb Algorithm which is said to be very, very nice.

THE Post and TDM guys seem to swear by Altiverb. All of the Breverbs and the like are good too. If your looking for "charactor" almost anything will sound better than Dverb.

Look at some bundles and take advantage of the demo programs that most manufacturers offer.

musicalavtech
10-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Try a demo of Zroom by DUY. Great ambience.

DonaldM
10-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Man, you guys have certainly made a lot of great suggestions! Thanks!!
After reading of some of the new additions coming to PT 8.0, I may wait to see what all is there before going with anything else.

On a side note, one thing I've done from time to time is route my audio output through my Yamaha Motif XS8 and added some of the effects there. The Motif does have some good effects to work with. In effect, it works like any other hardware effect processer would work.

barstool719
10-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I like TLSpace and McDSP's Revolver. Revolver doesnt work at SR > 48kHz though, if that's an issue for you.

25ghosts
10-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Up til now I've mainly been using D-Verb and Delay that came with my PT LE 7.4. They've worked well, but I was wondering what suggestions/recommendtions some of you pros might have for adding to the effects aresenal in PT? Which ones do you find work best?

Thanks

Hi there,

my total go to reverb is now convolution reverbs. Since Acousticas launched their EMT 245 Library I have been using that ever since. It sounds exactly like my EMT245 only I can instantiate it many times instead of just one with the hardware. This lib has totally eased my workflow and it was probably the best spent $49 of 2008. At least for me.

You can listen to some demos here

http://www.acousticas.net

My other verbs of choice are PrinceTon Digital TDM and Digidesign MOD DELAY.

And of course - VocAlign - how could I forget

pguy
10-16-2008, 05:40 AM
I use these....

Waves...True Verb & Renaissance Verb
IK Multimedia.... Studio Classic Reverb
McDSP.....Revolver
UAD-1 ....Dreamverb, Plate 140, Realverb Pro

I'm happy with these.

Hope this helps.

DonaldM
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
thanks everyone for so many good suggestions. Lots to read up on, demo and learn about. Also, I am going to wait until PT 8.0 is out before jumping on anything new with respect to effects. Want to see what all is improved, changed, added etc there before moving ahead.

But any and all suggestions/recommendations are appreciated!:-) :cool: