PDA

View Full Version : Tempo map problem in Protools

musicman929
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I am scoring music to quicktime movie in protools HD 7.4, and have a tempo map set with BPM changes throughout the movie. I want to be able to change the BPM of one tempo marker without changing the locations of all the following tempo markers. Is there any way to lock tempo markers in absolute time so they don't change relative to Bar/Beat location changes?

I'm very competent in Protools (not a beginner) and i can't seem to find a way around this problem. Is digidesign just avoiding a fix to this?
:mad::confused::rolleyes:

sleadley
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Well if you think about it this is impossible.
Say you were 60 bPM till the 1 minute mark then you went to 90bpm at 1 min. Then you decide to change the initial tempo to 120 bpm this will move the 90 bpm change to the 30 sec mark. How would you expect this to work? you would need to have twice as many bars at 120 to get it to hit the change at 1 min.
Unfortunately, tempo and time are inextricably linked.
hope this makes sense
Simon L.

JGuth
08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Use Identify Beat to lock down the later tempi: I assume you have some spaces between cues. Go to the space after the cue you want to change, use grid mode and click on a downbeat. Then apple-I , hit return, tempi icons in ruler will change color when identified and will stay put. Now go to the cue,
or before it and change tempo in the necessary number of bars only. If you raise the tempo, now after the last changed bar and before the beat identified above there will be a slower tempo to compensate. The other poster was correct, but forgot about spaces between cues where a compensating tempo can occur to keep the next actually used ones in place.