PDA

View Full Version : Editing Velocity / Midi Questions...

theaero
07-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Say I have a midi drum track. My first question is... like in most other DAWs that have drum maps, is there a way to have the midi note be just a dot, or hit, as opposed to an adjustable length? Like in sonar and cubase, when you are editing midi for drums, you just add points instead of long or short notes in the piano roll.

Secondly, (the main question), say I have a midi drum track with a hi hat note, kick drum note, and tom note all on the same beat. Is there a way to manually adjust the velocity of each of these notes? When I go into velocity edit mode, it just shows one little dot and its really annoying to edit velo.

Any good midi solutions?

SeedGuy
07-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Say I have a midi drum track. My first question is... like in most other DAWs that have drum maps, is there a way to have the midi note be just a dot, or hit, as opposed to an adjustable length? Like in sonar and cubase, when you are editing midi for drums, you just add points instead of long or short notes in the piano roll.

Afraid not. Would be ideal though.

Secondly, (the main question), say I have a midi drum track with a hi hat note, kick drum note, and tom note all on the same beat. Is there a way to manually adjust the velocity of each of these notes? When I go into velocity edit mode, it just shows one little dot and its really annoying to edit velo.

Any good midi solutions?

If you click on the note you want to change using the grabber, the velocity 'dot' should highlight, and moving it will only change the velocity of that specific hit. You can't select velocity by highlighting the 'dots' either, you need to select the actual MIDI note/s.

bgaston
07-28-2008, 07:51 AM
*sigh*

I love PT for a lot of things, but its lack of good midi editing and ADC makes me think i should stick with cubase sx3 or 4 for awhile longer.

Please digidesign.. make me proud with the next update.

albee1952
07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
If you are only needing to edit a handful of velocity values, skip the velocity selection(in the edit window) and just click on any note that needs adjustment and place your cursor on the velocity value that shows (in green) up top and the midi values section. Click on the velocity value and roll your mouse forward or back to see the value increase or decrease. (hope I got this right as my PT system is not on right now).

filosofem
07-29-2008, 12:21 AM
theaero, set the Custom Note Value and the Grid Value to 64 note respectively.

As for Velocity Stalks with the same start time, Ctrl+drag (Win) or Command+drag (Mac) the note.

filosofem