PDA

View Full Version : DNS error in DD GT ?

Kikut
06-24-2008, 04:14 AM
For the last 2 years, my DD GT has given me "Network error" in the display. When I log in, it tells me that the DNS-servers that I have put in, fails. The DNS-servers are the same that I use for all the computers on my subnet. When I ping the IP-adresses that I have put in as DNS, I can see that they are reachable. The unit seems to work fine anyway, so I haven't bothered my self to solve the problem. Anyone who has experienced something similar?

DigiTechSupt
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
What is the exact network error text?

Is UDP Port 53 open all the way (through all devices) between the server and the internet and your DNS servers?

You may be able to ping the DNS servers, but are they truly valid?

You can verify that a specific DNS server is valid by following these steps:
On Windows XP:
a. Click the Start menu
b. Select Run...
c. Enter “cmd” and click OK
d. In the window, type “nslookup” and Enter
e. Type “server <IP Address>” where <IP Address> is the address of the user’s DNS server,
and Enter. Include a space between “server” and the IP address. This should return a line
which says “Default server:..” with a domain name for the DNS server, if it has one.
f. Type www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com) and Enter. If this is a valid DNS server, it will return a list of
names, IP Addresses and aliases. If it is not a valid DNS server, it will return “DNS
request timed out”.

cmarkle_aspera
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Kikut,

For the last 2 years, my DD GT has given me "Network error" in the display. When I log in, it tells me that the DNS-servers that I have put in, fails. The DNS-servers are the same that I use for all the computers on my subnet. When I ping the IP-adresses that I have put in as DNS, I can see that they are reachable. The unit seems to work fine anyway, so I haven't bothered my self to solve the problem. Anyone who has experienced something similar?

Chris here from Aspera... The network test function is notoriously finicky, prone to giving false positives like you are seeing (i.e., complaining about DNS when it's obviously ok). We have some attempts at fixing this coming in the next 2.1.4 patch, which will release before the month is out. If you are regularly getting this error, I'd like to try some things in CS access mode on your box to see if I can increase my confidence that our nettest fixes will handle this. Are you game to let me do that?

Chris

subwoof
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I am having the same error on my LT unit. It works fine, but gives me a network error.

Mike

cmarkle_aspera
08-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Folks,

Chris here from Aspera... Our new patch (referred to as 2.1.4 earlier in this thread but now officially called 2.2.0) has made some improvements to the network test facility to (hopefully) make its reports more accurate. Can you guys try the patch and tell me if the situation re DNS errors improves? Thanks!

Chris