PDA

View Full Version : output multi-channel BWFs after pulldown?

ilinx
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi,

First off, let me say I'm not a Pro Tools user, so you might want to speak sloooowly to me. I'm an assistant editor, and I'm working on a film where they are recording using a field recorder that records multi-channel BWFs. These are recorded at 30fps, and we're doing the offline edit in Final Cut Pro at 29.97, so the sound guy is sending me aiffs that he outputs from PT after having applied a pulldown. The thing is, I get all the channels separated, and I have to relink them in Final Cut before synching them.

I read in the specs on the DigiDesign site that ProTools now has some cool workflows for multichannel field recordings, but none of those are going to be used for this production, sadly. The way we're working is I get the audio, I sync it in FCP, then at the end I'll output OMFs and they'll mix the sound using those.

The sound guy tells me it's impossible to output BWFs or WAVs or anything that is multichannel from Pro Tools after having done the pulldown. But then someone else told me the latest version of PT CAN output polys. Does anyone know for sure? And if it can be done, could someone tell me how in idiot-proof steps?

Oh, this is four channels of audio that would need to be grouped, which is how they come from the field recorder.

Thanks!!!

philper
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
There is a program called BWF-Widget Pro that will pull down the polys w/o cracking them. It is however a PC pgm, but will run under Bootcamp. The progam author is very active on the RAMPS and JWSOUND.com forums, so questions about how to implement this workflow could be asked there and he would help you.

Philip Perkins

ilinx
05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I'd still need to test it, but apparently one way to output a sort of multichannel BWF (or I guess it would now have the extension WAV?) is to bounce 5.1 for 6 channels or LRCS (or whatever the order is) for 4. In our case the channels wouldn't really be "left, right, center, etc.", they would just be the boom, lav, etc., but the advantage is that I could take them into the FCP project already grouped. The problem is that apparently doing this makes the audio have to output in real time, and that takes more time than it takes for me to merge tracks in FCP.

Has anyone tried this, though?